• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cards Hacked the Astros

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, apparently that leak of trade proposals and internal scouting from the Astros front office was due to a Cardinals executive illegally accessing their systems.

The Astros' security was hilariously bad, but at the same time, the Cards should probably get into trouble for this, I would imagine.

Maybe they'll lose their competitive balance pick next year... :rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/s...-hack-astros-fbi.html?smid==tw-nytsports&_r=1

The Astros Were Hacked by the Cardinals | FanGraphs Baseball

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing trade secrets is a huge deal, IMO.

I've read that draft picks are off the table since they are collectively bargained for some reason. But I would think that commissioners office could if they thought the breach was egregious enough. I would think a huge fine or loss of revenue sharing would be the next logical punishment if draft picks are completely off the table.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing trade secrets is a huge deal, IMO.

I've read that draft picks are off the table since they are collectively bargained for some reason. But I would think that commissioners office could if they thought the breach was egregious enough. I would think a huge fine or loss of revenue sharing would be the next logical punishment if draft picks are completely off the table.

There's also a fine cap of $2 million. Whether that applies to denying revenue sharing money or not, I'm not sure.

Seems kind of weird to not allow the removal of draft picks as a form of punishment. There really aren't a whole lot of things you can do to punish a team in a sport without a salary cap which actually affects their ability to compete on the field, and that's one of them. Really seems pretty limiting for the Commissioner's Office.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players union likes to have their tentacles in everything, ups their bargaining power.

2 million dollar fine is basically nothing.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure if it would be possible, but if they applied the $2 million fine to total draft pool money and/or International money, that could have the actual desired effect.