• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caps Dev. Camp

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today I went to the final day of Caps Dev. Camp and watched the scrimmage that went on. Red beat White 5-2 (like that really matters) with Red scoring a late goal to go up by 2 and then an ENG to cap it off. There were a few things I noticed from the game

-Cody Eakin is a Beast! In the first period he took most of his faceoffs against the taller, stronger Sjogren (who I believe will be Eakin's biggest competition for his spot) and won a good majority of them. He showed speed, playmaking and a very good sense of the game. He didn't look that badly defensively and he played both PP and PK. He didn't record a point although he played very well in my mind. If he needed to work on one thing, it'd be finishing. I'd be somewhat surprised if he didn't make the Caps roster this season. Also, he said in his exit interview he didn't like how he played which tells me even when he isn't at his best he is still above everyone else.
-I wasn't all that impressed with Sjogren who, at 23 didn't seem to stand out to me. He is kinda a defensive forward, but like I said, he lost the majority of the faceoffs to Eakin when he took faceoffs against him. He was in position defensively most of the time, but when Red had a PP chance he didn't see much ice time. Maybe he had a bad game, but I don't see what the SportsHoopla is around him I've heard from others.
-Dmitri Orlov is a good player, but he has some things he needs to improve on. His ability to jump up on the rush is great, but he has alot of flaws in his game. His positioning is sometimes in question and he turns the puck over too much. He created a couple scoring chances and made a huge hip check in open ice, but he needs to improve his weaknesses. He also has a temper, which was funny at times in the game
-I really can't comment on Galiev because I didn't really see him that much. Maybe he didn't play well and that's why I didn't notice him?
-Garrett Mitchell, who played on Eakin's wing made a very good impression on me. He drove the net hard and took the body.
-Garrett Haar was praised by GMGM, but I didn't see much of him today.
-Soberg, the goalie drafted in the 4th round of this year, played really well. He played half the game just like the rest of the goalies. He gave up one goal on a bad TO. He made two really good saves too.

There was also this fight that I got on my phone and I'll add the video later.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, a lot of people disagree with me on eakin vs Sjogren matchup. Hopefully ill go to rookie camp and I'll get a better feel about how it will play out

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today I went to the final day of Caps Dev. Camp and watched the scrimmage that went on. Red beat White 5-2 (like that really matters) with Red scoring a late goal to go up by 2 and then an ENG to cap it off. There were a few things I noticed from the game

-Cody Eakin is a Beast! In the first period he took most of his faceoffs against the taller, stronger Sjogren (who I believe will be Eakin's biggest competition for his spot) and won a good majority of them. He showed speed, playmaking and a very good sense of the game. He didn't look that badly defensively and he played both PP and PK. He didn't record a point although he played very well in my mind. If he needed to work on one thing, it'd be finishing. I'd be somewhat surprised if he didn't make the Caps roster this season. Also, he said in his exit interview he didn't like how he played which tells me even when he isn't at his best he is still above everyone else.
-I wasn't all that impressed with Sjogren who, at 23 didn't seem to stand out to me. He is kinda a defensive forward, but like I said, he lost the majority of the faceoffs to Eakin when he took faceoffs against him. He was in position defensively most of the time, but when Red had a PP chance he didn't see much ice time. Maybe he had a bad game, but I don't see what the SportsHoopla is around him I've heard from others.
-Dmitri Orlov is a good player, but he has some things he needs to improve on. His ability to jump up on the rush is great, but he has alot of flaws in his game. His positioning is sometimes in question and he turns the puck over too much. He created a couple scoring chances and made a huge hip check in open ice, but he needs to improve his weaknesses. He also has a temper, which was funny at times in the game
-I really can't comment on Galiev because I didn't really see him that much. Maybe he didn't play well and that's why I didn't notice him?
-Garrett Mitchell, who played on Eakin's wing made a very good impression on me. He drove the net hard and took the body.
-Garrett Haar was praised by GMGM, but I didn't see much of him today.
-Soberg, the goalie drafted in the 4th round of this year, played really well. He played half the game just like the rest of the goalies. He gave up one goal on a bad TO. He made two really good saves too.

There was also this fight that I got on my phone and I'll add the video later.

Fwiw, a lot of people disagree with me on eakin vs Sjogren matchup. Hopefully ill go to rookie camp and I'll get a better feel about how it will play out

Very nice write up, Tyler!!!!

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pequette was someone else that made quite an impression (can't believe I forgot about him) He's a pest, and a really good one. Funny guy too.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pequette was someone else that made quite an impression (can't believe I forgot about him) He's a pest, and a really good one. Funny guy too.

I have heard a slightly less refined della Rovere for him. He will be useful at times for sure, and become a cult hero up 81 a bit.