• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we stop pretending bowl games matter?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many football players in the entire history of college football have entirely ended their careers in the bowl game just before their draft day? I don't mean had a setback and lost a year, but career ending.

Those kids that played with you and helped get you there very much need you to return the favor. I said nothing about doing it for the school or their cash grab. It's about the other kids on your team and the fans. You are entirely shitting all over there. Period.

Bunch of fucking selfish pussies.

I've been reading your comments regarding this subject and I gotta say, WizardHawk, they and you have surprised me. You're displaying a set of stones that I did not think you had.

I've told you plenty of times that I think you're a talking meatball, so now that I feel so inclined, I'll not be bashful in giving you some props.

Kudos, Mr. Hawk.

cheers_law_and_order.gif

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people question Jordan being the GOAT based on this... That and there were expansion teams which watered it down.

:dhd:

ALot of people question Jordan as being the GOAT... Is your definition of Alot around 20%? And how did MJ get on a bowl game thread?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

When so many key players are too concerned with their draft status than competing with their brothers one last time, bowl outcomes really don't mean shit.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

When so many key players are too concerned with their draft status than competing with their brothers one last time, bowl outcomes really don't mean shit.
Bowl outcomes mattering and playing in them mattering are two entirely different conversations.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NCAA will ever deny a new Bowl.
If it's economically viable for a Bowl, then so be it.

It may get to the point where there is no minimum number of wins to even go to a bowl.
And that's ok.

Also, if "Company X" wants to sponsor a bowl, then there will be another bowl.

Besides the tourism money for the local ecomonnie, the bowls are str8 advertising for the sponsors. Shit, I can still remember the names associated with the bowls years ago: The FEDEX orange bowl...the USF&G sugar bowl..the MOBIL cotton bowl...the TOYOTA gator bowl...the POULAN WEED EATER bowl for cryin out loud.

It's effective marketing.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is also a difference between not playing in the podunk shit stain bowl brought to you by Ben gay, and playing in one of the top 15 bowls with known teams. I haven't watched any bowls yet. Don't care about the lower ones. I'll watch both off the ones these two were in.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to certain teams normal bowl games matter

Like the East Michigan/Old Dominion types

But for teams like Stanford and LSU who had playoff ambitions to start the season and end up in the Hyundai and Buffalo Wild Wings Bowls, yea it becomes "meaningless" for them.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regard to mattering for who finishes #1 in the nation and is recorded for posterity, only three games now matter in FBS.

In regard to extra playing time, recruiting, and money-grabs - also-ran bowls matter.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to certain teams normal bowl games matter

Like the East Michigan/Old Dominion types

But for teams like Stanford and LSU who had playoff ambitions to start the season and end up in the Hyundai and Buffalo Wild Wings Bowls, yea it becomes "meaningless" for them.

Probably true to the players, but I would think the coaching staff would make the best of the situation because it's one more chance to get your 'name' out there. No matter how crappy the bowl is, there will always be a highlight reel on espn.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true to the players, but I would think the coaching staff would make the best of the situation because it's one more chance to get your 'name' out there. No matter how crappy the bowl is, there will always be a highlight reel on espn.

The extra practices are probably the "best" part of being in a bowl game that isn't the playoff.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extra practices are probably the "best" part of being in a bowl game that isn't the playoff.

I can see some other perks as well though. You get to travel to some place nice while everyone else is sitting at home.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You play because the other players that got you there care and so do the fans that supported you throughout your career there. You do it because it's a selfish bitch move not to. To those that care about that shit, it matters.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we can stop pretending bowls don't matter though.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl games do matter. For the Notre Dame fan who started this thread go check your team forum and read the threads durring the season. I'm pretty sure there were plenty of hope we get into the playoff threads then plenty of I hope we get a good bowl threads and finally I hope we get into a bowl thread along with we dont deserve a bowl threads. So your fans cared and it mattered up until it wasn't a possibility. For the over all majority it will be the biggest game of the year and some the biggest game of their careers. Many fans will be traveling to these games and much more will watch . There are just a few NFL bound players out of the thousands who are skipping their teams bowl game. So they matter.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tell me with a straight face that one and done's are okay in college basketball and in the same breath wave your finger at a guy for skipping a bowl game.

How about all the guys who come out as Juniors? If we're using the same logic is that not TEN TIMES more deplorable
Firstly, I wouldn't argue one and done is a good thing. Secondly, come on man. There's a big difference between declaring for the draft after your Jr season is done, and deciding it's in your best interest to not complete your season because you don't want to get hurt. I wouldn't hold anything against (or I rarely would) a guy declaring after his Jr year, I'll never see bailing on your team with one game left in a season you've participated in as a good thing.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl games do matter. For the Notre Dame fan who started this thread go check your team forum and read the threads durring the season. I'm pretty sure there were plenty of hope we get into the playoff threads then plenty of I hope we get a good bowl threads and finally I hope we get into a bowl thread along with we dont deserve a bowl threads. So your fans cared and it mattered up until it wasn't a possibility. For the over all majority it will be the biggest game of the year and some the biggest game of their careers. Many fans will be traveling to these games and much more will watch . There are just a few NFL bound players out of the thousands who are skipping their teams bowl game. So they matter.
They're huge. It's easy to argue the lower tier bowls don't matter, but they do at least to the team and fans for countless reasons. Beyond that, there's still plenty of quality bowl games that make a lot of money for teams and conferences, so for that alone they matter.

And then to go as far as to argue no games outside of the playoffs matter is just absurd. Anyone who wants to try to say the Rose Bowl isn't a big deal if it's not a part of the playoff, my first though is they probably aren't much of a college football fan.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're huge. It's easy to argue the lower tier bowls don't matter, but they do at least to the team and fans for countless reasons. Beyond that, there's still plenty of quality bowl games that make a lot of money for teams and conferences, so for that alone they matter.

And then to go as far as to argue no games outside of the playoffs matter is just absurd. Anyone who wants to try to say the Rose Bowl isn't a big deal if it's not a part of the playoff, my first though is they probably aren't much of a college football fan.

I think there are several that matter. For me, I ask the question of would I go if my team was in it? There are still 10 bowls that the answer is yes. The other 25-30, nope. When we were in the Music City Bowl back in 2004 I opted out. On the other hand, Rose, Sugar, Orange, Citrus, Cotton, Gator, Fiesta, Peach, Cotton, I am there, maybe a few others.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is there even 5,000 people at this bowl game today? Hell is there even 3,000 people at this bowl game.

See, this is F-ing ridiculous. Looks to me like there is more like 1,500 in the stands.......

with tickets not being sold and no one watching the bowl, how the hell can they justify doing these lower tier bowls.