• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we stop pretending bowl games matter?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't mattered for a while now, the best players aren't even partaking in them(can't blame them after what happened to Jaylon Smith last year) and while the perception is that it will help you going into next year, the fact is with a CFP committee, it doesn't matter where you're ranked to start the following year.

It's basically CFP or bust these days. Even sponsors are backing out left and right these days.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl games matter a lot. I hoard as many vacation days for the end of the year as I can simply so I can drink beer and watch bowl games. I don't care if it's the Jimmy Dean Labrador Tomahawk Harmonica Bowl, it's college football and that's the greatest gift of the season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowls started out as exhibition games.
Final Polls didn't even take them into consideration.

Then, they mattered, if they were a New Years Day Bowl.
Now, they dont.
Only the CFP does.

Guys who have high draft potential play "not to get hurt".
But the players who are off the radar or on the fringe get to showcase their talent one last time in these Bowl Games.

What am I trying to say???
I have no idea except that the OP is right.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey
To be fair, if Fournette wasn't banged up so much this year I would bet he would play. Not sure what McCaffery is thinking, he's not even a lock for the first round.

Besides these two this year, what other examples of this are there?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey isn't even a top pick, and probably should play in the game to help his draft stock. Bowl games don't matter, but you know what else doesn't really matter, college football in general. The kids don't get paid, so they could start sitting out any games they want.

RTRdian

Broken Filter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl games matter a lot. I hoard as many vacation days for the end of the year as I can simply so I can drink beer and watch bowl games. I don't care if it's the Jimmy Dean Labrador Tomahawk Harmonica Bowl, it's college football and that's the greatest gift of the season.

Amen!!! Drinks, good food and yellin at the TV.

ROLL DAMN TIDE

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Dean Labrador Tomahawk Harmonica Bowl

giphy.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I like bowl games a lot as well. It's part of what drew me to CFB - the emotions these kids have, most of which won't be playing NFL. For the seniors, this is their farewell game.

It's a shame to me to think that some prima donna players would fuck that up for their teammates.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, if Fournette wasn't banged up so much this year I would bet he would play. Not sure what McCaffery is thinking, he's not even a lock for the first round.

Besides these two this year, what other examples of this are there?

Fournette will have had 6 and a half weeks off between the last game he played and the bowl game. If he wanted to play, he'd play. And those are the only two so far that have done this, that I can think of, but I think this will become more of a trend in future years. I don't get why players with a high draft grade would play? Look at Jaylon Smith last year, he cost himself like 15 million dollars, and an entire season, and may never be the same.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't mattered for a while now, the best players aren't even partaking in them(can't blame them after what happened to Jaylon Smith last year) and while the perception is that it will help you going into next year, the fact is with a CFP committee, it doesn't matter where you're ranked to start the following year.

It's basically CFP or bust these days. Even sponsors are backing out left and right these days.
Yup, this was what I was worried about with the playoffs...not only did the regular season, and conference championships, diminish in importance but so did the bowls. Getting to a BCS bowl used to be huge and what everyone fought over. Now it's really playoff or bust. The teams going to BCS bowls now are just teams who feel slighted they weren't in the playoffs.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, this was what I was worried about with the playoffs...not only did the regular season, and conference championships, diminish in importance but so did the bowls. Getting to a BCS bowl used to be huge and what everyone fought over. Now it's really playoff or bust. The teams going to BCS bowls now are just teams who feel slighted they weren't in the playoffs.

Is this a good time to remind you that Michigan didn't make the playoffs?

giphy.gif
Awaits Maize's obligatory "we didn't want the playoffs anyway because we'd piss down our legs if we had to play Alabama" post.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fournette will have had 6 and a half weeks off between the last game he played and the bowl game. If he wanted to play, he'd play. And those are the only two so far that have done this, that I can think of, but I think this will become more of a trend in future years. I don't get why players with a high draft grade would play? Look at Jaylon Smith last year, he cost himself like 15 million dollars, and an entire season, and may never be the same.
I think maybe the Jaylon Smith thing is being exaggerated a bit. We've had thousands of players play in bowl games for several decades now. How many other examples of this sort of thing happening are there? I think if you're a true competitor and you know this is your last bowl game, you're gonna play. Sure, Fournette isn't playing, but while he may be healthy, he still has injury issues so I get it. However, while he's not playing, you do have guys like Jabril Peppers, Teez Tabor, Myles Garrett, etc. who are projected high picks that are playing in their games.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the vast majority of them have mattered for a long time. They're exhibitions designed to get tourism money to the local economy where the games are hosted. In that respect, they matter to the local Chambers of Commerce, and to the two fanbases of the teams invited.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe the Jaylon Smith thing is being exaggerated a bit. We've had thousands of players play in bowl games for several decades now. How many other examples of this sort of thing happening are there? I think if you're a true competitor and you know this is your last bowl game, you're gonna play. Sure, Fournette isn't playing, but while he may be healthy, he still has injury issues so I get it. However, while he's not playing, you do have guys like Jabril Peppers, Teez Tabor, Myles Garrett, etc. who are projected high picks that are playing in their games.

Not all guys are going to skip their bowl game that are highly rated prospects. I can understand why some would want to play and why some would want to skip. But the fact still remains outside of the CFP all these games are exhibition games. I've always thought that and now with two of the best RB's in the country skipping their meaningless game, it only starts to reinforce my position.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of final rankings, bowls don't matter and yes, if you're a top prospect, you have to consider sitting out or taking out an insurance policy on yourself.

However, bowls mean quite a bit in the following ways:

- additional revenue for the conference (assuming travel costs don't exceed the profit for smaller programs and bowls)

- additional practice time for players looking to fill gaps the next year, along with additional time for new coaches to implement their system

- a win could bring momentum and enthusiasm going into spring practice

- a 'good' bowl game destination could help with recruiting

- seniors get one last game wearing their jersey and an additional opportunity to showcase their skills

- regardless of the playoff committee concept and how next year's rankings don't affect their decision, the conference results lead to the myth of conference strength of schedule and higher rankings that no matter how impartial the committee may be, subconsciously the entire next season's narrative could be influenced.

While these don't necessarily mean much for the top teams competing for the NC, for many of the other teams, it means a lot more.