• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we get rid of replay?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were truly the case, you would have an argument. But usually the replay officials get it right. There are some very blatant examples where they screwed it up, but those are few and far between.

I agree on it taking too long, though. 120 seconds from the moment the replay official gets the call should be plenty of time (save for extenuating circumstances like where to place runners etc).

You clearly haven't watched many Braves games.

It's got to the point now to where I just automatically assume the call stands, and I'm shocked when a call actually gets overturned.

It's an ongoing theme documented on Twitter.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were truly the case, you would have an argument. But usually the replay officials get it right. There are some very blatant examples where they screwed it up, but those are few and far between.

I agree on it taking too long, though. 120 seconds from the moment the replay official gets the call should be plenty of time (save for extenuating circumstances like where to place runners etc).
No, they don't.

It's a horrible addition that never should have been made. Like most additions to baseball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly haven't watched many Braves games.

It's got to the point now to where I just automatically assume the call stands, and I'm shocked when a call actually gets overturned.

It's an ongoing theme documented on Twitter.
Well if Braves fans on Twitter are saying it...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like announcers and insiders, but comment on something you haven't seen anyways.
I watch plenty of baseball. And while the fan in me gets upset about some calls, the percentage of calls that are clearly bad/wrong is very low.

If you are proposing that there is a concerted effort to screw the Braves via the replay system, I don’t know what to tell you.

It is not perfect. And some of that imperfection, I suspect, is a direct result of the Umpires union pushing back at the system (little to no transparency, showing up one-the-Field umps, fear of being replaced, etc), I also think that much if not all of this can be handled over time with just a few tweaks (see my earlier post about my proposed changes).

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch plenty of baseball. And while the fan in me gets upset about some calls, the percentage of calls that are clearly bad/wrong is very low.

If you are proposing that there is a concerted effort to screw the Braves via the replay system, I don’t know what to tell you.

It is not perfect. And some of that imperfection, I suspect, is a direct result of the Umpires union pushing back at the system (little to no transparency, showing up one-the-Field umps, fear of being replaced, etc), I also think that much if not all of this can be handled over time with just a few tweaks (see my earlier post about my proposed changes).

Only time I suspect conspiracy is when Sam Holbrook is involved.

It's just they rarely get it right, and I'd rather not delay the game if the bad call is gonna stand.

Make it better. Hold the fuckers accountable and let their names be known.

And the umpire's union can't say much. An MLB umpire is the only profession I can think of where you can't lose your job due to incompetence. I'm watching CB Bucknor call balls and strikes as we speak.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only time I suspect conspiracy is when Sam Holbrook is involved.

It's just they rarely get it right, and I'd rather not delay the game if the bad call is gonna stand.

Make it better. Hold the fuckers accountable and let their names be known.

And the umpire's union can't say much. An MLB umpire is the only profession I can think of where you can't lose your job due to incompetence. I'm watching CB Bucknor call balls and strikes as we speak.
Lots of jobs can’t be lost due to incompetence. Government and teaching are two that come to mind. Most are due to union involvement.

You won’t find me defending Buckner or Marquez or West or a dozen other atrocious umps. That’s why I support replay and am a proponent of robo balls and strikes (last night’s Giants game was directly affected by a “breathing” strike zone, for example).

But you would need to provide more evidence for me to begin to believe that MOST replays are called wrong. I just don’t buy it. I think fans would argue that 50/50 calls that go against their team are “wrong”. They simply aren’t. Those SHOULD uphold the call on the field. But even if all 50/50 calls were “wrong”, I still would have a hard time believing MOST replay calls were wrong.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate it but it’s here to stay. Was it really meant to review plays that we need 20 angles in slow motion to figure out? They need to simplify it. Don’t give managers the time to have someone look at the replay to review a call and only overturn a call if it is clear as day.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I changed my mind, now that replay helped my team last night I am a fan. I will check in the next time replay impacts my team to let you know if I like it or hate it.