• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we get rid of replay?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk of shortening the game, appealing to kids, everything's wrong with baseball... why doesn't anyone mention replay?

Today, the Phils and Mets are in the bottom of the 10th. 2-1 pitch nearly grazes Wilmer ":bawling:" Flores. The ump says it didn't hit him and just calls it a ball, but Flores is emphatic that it hit him. Callaway challenges the call. 4 minutes of replay- then the umps say it didn't hit him.

And I'm not even salty as fuck that :bawling:Flores walked it off with a home run on the next pitch. I just really hate replay. It was a neat idea but it totally breaks up any momentum or action the game had. I miss when calls are final.

Also, fuck you Flores:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fucking hate replay.

They stop the game, take way too long to look at the play, and most of the time, the bad call stands anyways. What's the fucking point?

If they're gonna do it, they need to do it right. I don't think it's possible to have the guys reviewing the call not know what the call on the field was since the umpire is likely in the shot, but at the very least, they could get some unbiased third party making the calls so you don't have umpires protecting other umpires. And put a hard time limit of 30 seconds once the headsets are on unless it is potentially the last play of the game.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replay sucks because as stated they can’t fucking do it properly.

Most of the time they resort to the “too close to overturn” bullshit when it’s clearly the wrong call.

They spend for ever on calls while sometimes still fucking them up and other times taking 4 minutes to confirm the obvious.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I’m all for showing how dumb some of these umps are. It’s especially embarrassing when one of their calls gets overturned in a few seconds.

I understand the above points though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few changes can make it all better...

1) Have multiple umpires ready to review plays to avoid a queue.

2) Make it known which umpire is reviewing the play.

3) 120 seconds from when the review umpire gets the play to final call. If he can’t determine in 2 mins, it is too close to over turn.

4) Release explanation for all rulings.

This should clear a lot of the problems (especially point 3)

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with replay, in all sports, is that they can show it clearly for the tv audience immediately but it takes 10x longer for the process to be gone through and call to be made.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I’m all for showing how dumb some of these umps are. It’s especially embarrassing when one of their calls gets overturned in a few seconds.

I understand the above points though.
In fairness a lot of plays happen so fast its hard to get it correct 100% of the time. Baseball is especially challenging because no one can possibly be in position all of the time.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the #1 problem is that the replay officials in new york are also umps so if it is somewhat close they aren't going to show up their 'brother' who made the call on the field and they'll just leave it as it stands.

If they keep replay, they probably need independent non-ump replay officials to run New York replay.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want them to go back to previous games and replay some calls and over turn as needed.....then maintain that the Jim Joyce was right. Fuck the Tigers!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of having umpires in charge of replays, how about when a play is challenged MLB calls up some random bar and ask some drunken patron what he thinks the call should be. It'd be more accurate and bring more viewers thinking they might get the call.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of having umpires in charge of replays, how about when a play is challenged MLB calls up some random bar and ask some drunken patron what he thinks the call should be. It'd be more accurate and bring more viewers thinking they might get the call.

I like the thought, but it wouldn't work. That would always favor the home team.

If they called me, I'm always favoring my team and even if it's not my team, I'm probably going to rule against Cleveland in any situation. Unless they only called me for NL games, I'd probably have a hard time staying objective.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the thought, but it wouldn't work. That would always favor the home team.

If they called me, I'm always favoring my team and even if it's not my team, I'm probably going to rule against Cleveland in any situation. Unless they only called me for NL games, I'd probably have a hard time staying objective.

I mean more of the MLB needs to randomly dial a bar, doesn't matter what city. And even if they did dial you up and you gave some home cooking at least there is a viable answer for the call, not spending a few minutes on looking at it and still getting it wrong.