• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can USC or Washington string together dynasties after huge 2016 seasons?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon can't be as bad as they were last year and Colorado by all measure won't be anywhere near the same as they were last season. If you just want to look at talent up and down the roster Oregon wins hands down. I don't expect them to challenge for the North next year, but neither will Colorado.

Well before we proclaim 4 win Oregon better than Colorado how about we see how they play. UCLA has more talent than both and crapped the bed last year. It wouldnt take much for Oregon so skid again.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well before we proclaim 4 win Oregon better than Colorado how about we see how they play. UCLA has more talent than both and crapped the bed last year. It wouldnt take much for Oregon so skid again.
All we have is how they look on paper this year. The same for the expecations of UW and USC. No one knows what the outcomes will be for any of us. On paper the ducks should bounce back, but likely won't win the north and the buffs should make a big slide.

Are you saying you will bet right now that the buffs finish higher in the conf next year than Oregon? I think quite a few would take that bet if you are.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we have is how they look on paper this year. The same for the expecations of UW and USC. No one knows what the outcomes will be for any of us. On paper the ducks should bounce back, but likely won't win the north and the buffs should make a big slide.

Are you saying you will bet right now that the buffs finish higher in the conf next year than Oregon? I think quite a few would take that bet if you are.

I dont think colorado will be as good as last year but I also dont think Oregon will improve that much either. Looking at their schedules I see more potential losses for Oregon than for Colorado.
Oregon plays Washington Stanford, USC and Nebraska. I dont see them winning these.So if they just lose one more thats a five loss season and a slip up and they are barley bowl eligible.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Oregon going 7 - 5 this year. A sight better than last season when they didn't get bowl eligible. Herbert will be throwing for Oregon in '18 so they have that going for them as far as not having to break in a new QB for the next two seasons.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think colorado will be as good as last year but I also dont think Oregon will improve that much either. Looking at their schedules I see more potential losses for Oregon than for Colorado.
Oregon plays Washington Stanford, USC and Nebraska. I dont see them winning these.So if they just lose one more thats a five loss season and a slip up and they are barley bowl eligible.
So you want to split hairs over two teams you yourself also believe won't be competing for the conference championship. Why is there a debate then? :noidea:
Stanford > Utah. I'd take that all day long. Oregon+WSU = UCLA+Colorado

Given that Stanford is the best team on paper not named UW or USC I will contend the trip through the north is rougher.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to split hairs over two teams you yourself also believe won't be competing for the conference championship. Why is there a debate then? :noidea:
Stanford > Utah. I'd take that all day long. Oregon+WSU = UCLA+Colorado

Given that Stanford is the best team on paper not named UW or USC I will contend the trip through the north is rougher.

wait, we were talking about Oregon and Colorado. I said looking at Oregons schedule I see a tougher road for wins.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait, we were talking about Oregon and Colorado. I said looking at Oregons schedule I see a tougher road for wins.
That was a subset of the larger discussion everyone else was having of which division had more meat. There was no reason to compare Oregon to Colorado without the more broad question of which division has the more dangerous paths for UW and USC.

Oregon took Colorado's defensive coordinator. Add that the buffs graduated their QB which was the heart and soul of their run as well as the others that left and what looks like on paper the drop off expected and you get a team that no one expects (maybe outside of you?) to contend for much of anything next year.

I would right now put Oregon 3rd or 4th in the north. It's always hard to fully commit to putting WSU up high on any list with confidence as they are prone to shooting themselves in the feet with regularity. The ducks were still dangerous on offense last year outside of the growing pains of breaking in a freshman QB. Herbert will make plays this year. Their defense should be vastly improved given they actually have a DC that knows what they are doing. When I look at their schedule I see something between 6-6 and 8-4 for the ducks this coming year. Their toughest challenge in the first 5 games is a home game against Nebraska. That game will set the tone for their season for sure.

I really don't see anything better than 6-6 out of the buffs this year. One trip up and they won't be bowling. Can't see them finishing higher than 4th in the south.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original question......

Can USC or Washington football string together dynasties after huge 2016 seasons?

usc-speed-replica-8037971.png

washington-speed-replica-8037975.png

Nah prolly not

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon doesn't play USC this year and Nebraska is at home and they have a new QB. Last years was close on the road with their experienced guy. I like Oregon's chances in that one.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with a few good seasons that could have gone on to Dynasty status then fell off the face of the planet:
I'll make a list......

West Virginia
Texas Tech
Virginia Tech
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Oregon
Georgia
Missouri (wait no)
Colorado
LSU
North Carolina
Baylor
Texas A&M
Auburn
Mississippi
Purdue
Kansas State
Penn State
Boise State
Oklahoma State
Arizona State
San Diego State
Mississippi State
NC State
Other States

And they all had good coaches too when they did that.

Did I leave anybody out???

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several teams on your list were at that level because of one great player and their departure is what caused them to take a step back.

Is USC looking dangerous again just because of Darnold? Or do they look the part of a team on the rise that can sustain it after his departure? Which won't be for a couple more years as he is young.

Is UW here just because Browning is solid? Will they drop off after he leaves and/or after Gaskin moves on?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with a few good seasons that could have gone on to Dynasty status then fell off the face of the planet:
I'll make a list......

West Virginia
Texas Tech
Virginia Tech
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Oregon
Georgia
Missouri (wait no)
Colorado
LSU
North Carolina
Baylor
Texas A&M
Auburn
Mississippi
Purdue
Kansas State
Penn State
Boise State
Oklahoma State
Arizona State
San Diego State
Mississippi State
NC State
Other States

And they all had good coaches too when they did that.

Did I leave anybody out???

Take Minnesota off the list. They did have a dynasty. They won 5 Natty's ('34, '35, '36, '40 & '41) in 8 years.:D Which means they have more AP titles (3) than meeeechegan (2)!:yes:

To quote Nelson Muntz...

untitledewrweerw.png