• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can someone explain to me why this is a penalty?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule is a long time coming.

Hit the QB as hard as you can and I have no problem with it but driving them into the ground with all of your weight has one purpose....wreck his shoulder and take him out of the game.

What happened to Garrappolo and Rodgers was completely unnecessary. I understand the intimidation factor but there ought to be a basic camaraderie with these guys that you don't purposely end each other's careers.

The example OP provided is rather tame but I'm all for it being a rule to not purposely end a QB's season.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule is a long time coming.

Hit the QB as hard as you can and I have no problem with it but driving them into the ground with all of your weight has one purpose....wreck his shoulder and take him out of the game.

What happened to Garrappolo and Rodgers was completely unnecessary. I understand the intimidation factor but there ought to be a basic camaraderie with these guys that you don't purposely end each other's careers.

The example OP provided is rather tame but I'm all for it being a rule to not purposely end a QB's season.

I can see flagging for hits that have the intent to injure, but why just the QB? I say either have the rule across the board or drop it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with CTE.

Correct. It's about intent to injure instead of playing within the spirit of the game. Same reason you can't go low on QBs, or crack-back block, or go low on a defender while he is already engaged by another player, or hit a player out of bounds, or hit a player after he's down, etc.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs are pussies who take up the largest percentage of the salary cap compare to any other position. So once again, the NFL is going overboard in trying to protect their investments.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. It's about intent to injure instead of playing within the spirit of the game. Same reason you can't go low on QBs, or crack-back block, or go low on a defender while he is already engaged by another player, or hit a player out of bounds, or hit a player after he's down, etc.
Intent to hurt is vital.

And much different than intent to injure.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 The Vikings guy's knee hit the ground before the QB. I don't see how he used his weight to drive the QB into the ground.

2 The QB lowered his shoulder to prepare to get hit. Definitely wasn't a blindside.

3 The helmet was not near the body. A HS coach told me last fall that the new way of teaching how to tackle is wrap up with head behind him so tackle stays out of impact.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you tackle without using your weight?

kxyrcr01fht01.gif

It worked out well for WCW.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best I can tell is the new driving new the QB into the ground rule isnt about CTE. It's just more bubble wrap to keep the star QB off of the IR.

You are definitely right. I wasn’t talking about this one play... I was talking about all the new penalties aimed at protecting players.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the body weight that is only to try and injure the QB. Thats how Rich Gannon had his career ended.

That fat fuck hurt Gannon and he wasn't the same after in that game, but to be clear, his career wasn't ended there. That was the year before the Tuck Rule and 2 years later Gannon won MVP. Derrick Brooks ended Gannon's career in early 2003.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fat fuck hurt Gannon and he wasn't the same after in that game, but to be clear, his career wasn't ended there. That was the year before the Tuck Rule and 2 years later Gannon won MVP. Derrick Brooks ended Gannon's career in early 2003.
If I remember correctly seperared his shoulder and was never the same. His career was over. The Raiders just didn't have a better option

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly seperared his shoulder and was never the same. His career was over. The Raiders just didn't have a better option

He won the MVP in 2002. Granted, there wasn't much competition that year and his game was just dink and dunk at that point.