• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Camp Watch;

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more updates:

RB- CJ and Folston are sharing carries. Kelly has mention that these guys will see most of the carries all year and CJ is actually pushing for the starting spot.

K- Justin Yoon- Well not a lot of info on him until today from Kelly. The young kid is really good. So far in camp is 9 for 9 from 30-39 yards and 4 for from 40-49 yards. He hasn't missed a FG kick yet. Overall 18 for 18. Not bad for a freshman. Kelly did admit it will be different when game time comes but its nice to see him hitting them now instead of missing them. Side note: walk on Tyler Newman has also been awesome.

TE- Nic Weisher- He set records as a receiving TE at his highschool. He is taking advantage of added playing time because Smyth has been out and Jones missed 2 days. He has improved big time and Kelyl now thinks he will get some playing time this year. He has great ball skills. He just needs to continue to improve in blocking.

Jaylon Smith- Kelly just gushes over him. Best LB he has ever seen in the College level. He is shocked that Smith had another level. The guy is an animal and is every where on the field.

Issac Rochell- Another guy Kelly loves and he cant wait for the college football world to see him play this year. He talked about him being a Beast last year and this year he is unstoppable 1 v 1. Kelly loves the major talent he has at every level on the D. Dline- Rochell and Day, LB's- Smith and Schmidt, CB- Luke and Russell and Safety Max Redfield. That's a lot of Top talent. These are 1st-3rd rd talents.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got our 1st bad news of camp. Losing Jones is Big but not the end of the world. Tillery will fill in. We still have Day and Rochell. Overall I think we will be ok.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday update:

Hunter Jr is finally taking off. After 2 injured season hunter is showing of his skills. Look to see a lot of hunter this year. Having a great camp and showing great leadership.

Nelson: He is one of the young guys fighting for that starting position. He is having a great camp so far. He credits working alongside of Stanley and Martin. He said they make his life so easy.

Farley: Kelly loves his versatility. He can play multiple positions and Kelly is happy to have him back. Kelly said he might be losing his starting spot as a nickel guy but said he will help this team. He is one of the best Team guy he has coach. Freshman Crawford is winning the spot right now.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more updates:

RB- CJ and Folston are sharing carries. Kelly has mention that these guys will see most of the carries all year and CJ is actually pushing for the starting spot.

K- Justin Yoon- Well not a lot of info on him until today from Kelly. The young kid is really good. So far in camp is 9 for 9 from 30-39 yards and 4 for from 40-49 yards. He hasn't missed a FG kick yet. Overall 18 for 18. Not bad for a freshman. Kelly did admit it will be different when game time comes but its nice to see him hitting them now instead of missing them. Side note: walk on Tyler Newman has also been awesome.

TE- Nic Weisher- He set records as a receiving TE at his highschool. He is taking advantage of added playing time because Smyth has been out and Jones missed 2 days. He has improved big time and Kelyl now thinks he will get some playing time this year. He has great ball skills. He just needs to continue to improve in blocking.

Jaylon Smith- Kelly just gushes over him. Best LB he has ever seen in the College level. He is shocked that Smith had another level. The guy is an animal and is every where on the field.

Issac Rochell- Another guy Kelly loves and he cant wait for the college football world to see him play this year. He talked about him being a Beast last year and this year he is unstoppable 1 v 1. Kelly loves the major talent he has at every level on the D. Dline- Rochell and Day, LB's- Smith and Schmidt, CB- Luke and Russell and Safety Max Redfield. That's a lot of Top talent. These are 1st-3rd rd talents.

How has Procise looked at RB. I haven't heard any updates from him over the last few days. Also, any updates on Isaq Williams? I keep hearing that everything looks good for Russell but no so much for Williams.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has Procise looked at RB. I haven't heard any updates from him over the last few days. Also, any updates on Isaq Williams? I keep hearing that everything looks good for Russell but no so much for Williams.
CJ is shelved for up to 10 days with a hip flexor. Prior to that, he was battling for #1 with Folston. As a result of his injury, they are actually going to run Folston less to prevent wear and tear. Adams and Williams and the guy that just won a scholly getting more carries. I'm guessing it will be Folston/Proicise as 1 and 1A.

I wouldn't count on Ishaq. The fact that he is not even practicing with the team is saying something. Frankly, Russell should have been cleared already, not sure why the NCAA is taking so long with him.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is shelved for up to 10 days with a hip flexor. Prior to that, he was battling for #1 with Folston. As a result of his injury, they are actually going to run Folston less to prevent wear and tear. Adams and Williams and the guy that just won a scholly getting more carries. I'm guessing it will be Folston/Proicise as 1 and 1A.

I wouldn't count on Ishaq. The fact that he is not even practicing with the team is saying something. Frankly, Russell should have been cleared already, not sure why the NCAA is taking so long with him.

I just read that Russell has been cleared by the NCAA.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Russell has been cleared by the NCAA.
:yes:

Been waiting on that. Kelly kept saying in pressers that he's cleared one hurdle and was waiting on another. I kept wondering what the holdup is. He took classes while exiled, ND accepted those credits. He also interned at a real estate business and found time to workout and stay in shape. Ishaq is paying a price for not having enough credits. That is his problem as I understand it.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, when you wrote CJ' for some reason I was thinking Dexter Williams (don't ask why). As for Ishaq, I'm an incurable optimist. Hopefully now that the NCAA has ruled on Russell, they can move on to Williams. Although I think they might be less willing to help out on Williams since they ruled positively on Russell.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, when you wrote CJ' for some reason I was thinking Dexter Williams (don't ask why). As for Ishaq, I'm an incurable optimist. Hopefully now that the NCAA has ruled on Russell, they can move on to Williams. Although I think they might be less willing to help out on Williams since they ruled positively on Russell.

God I hope not. I think Russell helped himself, and ND did the right thing. They shouldn't make a compromise ruling. If anything, the NCAA should be bending over backwards to reward ND's proactive efforts. This is what schools should be aspiring to, not making fake classes ala UNC to keep kids eligible. Even if it is going to pay lip service to the notion of student-atheletes, this is how it should go. Now I'm getting off my soapbox.

I think Ishaq's situation is hard to ignore. I believe the issue always has been, the players have to make progress toward a degree. Losing these credits and not taking any others so close to his graduating year, will leave him too far behind. He would need the fall semeseter to even catch up, which would effectively negate this season, which is also his last eligible one. He might have been better off if he was a year younger. Unless he absolutely killed it over the summer in terms of hours, I think it would be hard for him to get back.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is running with the 1s and sharing reps with Folston before he got hurt(nothing major). He will play a major factor. No idea with Williams. Its kind weird that they can't make a decision yet. I actually feel for the kid. I think at the end he leaves.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is running with the 1s and sharing reps with Folston before he got hurt(nothing major). He will play a major factor. No idea with Williams. Its kind weird that they can't make a decision yet. I actually feel for the kid. I think at the end he leaves.
He's not going to leave. He'll stay and get his degree. At least thats what his parents said. He's one semester from graduating, why wouldn't he. In any event, he's filed an "appeal" with the NCAA, so that is the status of where he is at. I'm guessing if he's appealing, that means he had an adverse ruling and is trying to get it set aside. Not sure the grounds or reasoning of it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Report: 8/18

MVP: Zaire: He is playing very up tempo the way kelly likes it and not making mistakes. He is starting to really excel. This is great news for the Irish. His biggest Strength so far is him going threw his progressions. He doesn't just look at 1 guy. Biggest weakness(not that bad): throwing motion. He has worked on it and it looks a lot better then last year. He has shown a quicker release. Overall its not bad now.

Top Offensive players:
MgGlinchey: Improving every day. Last year Kelly talked about how inconsistent he was well he is starting to be consistent and getting better and better every day.

Robinson: The added strength is helping him big time. he has been the most consistent WR in camp so far.

Josh Adams: Adams is showing Kelly that he wants some game carries. With CJ out he is getting his chance to shine. Fast and explosive kelly said.

Top Defensive Players:
Day: He has been playing in and outside on the line. He will most likely be on this list every week. Guy is a beast. He is in his best shape as a ND player this year. Guys Motor just keeps going.

Crawford: Well I stated before he is getting better every day and he has now took the lead as the nickel guy. He has beat out Farley(5th year Sr) so far. He is a fast CB and should be able to keep up with any WR in the Country. Future is bright for this kid. Fans don't want to think about losing Russell after this year but don't worry this kid will step right in.

Redfield: He continues to shine and its all clicking for him now. He was highly rated coming out of High school and he is starting to show why. Kid is a good one and kelly continues to mention he is NFL talent.

Sleepers:
Wimbush: I was a fan of him because I live in Jersey and watched him play. Kid is going to be good. He is really pushing for the #2 spot and to be honest wouldn't be shocked if he wins it. Kelly would love to redshirt him and I think he only plays if Z gets hurt and we have a good record. If not no reason to waste a year. He will be the future QB after Z.

Defense: This Defense is stacked. They have crazy depth also. A lot of talent. Defense continues to shine in camp. This D will shock some people and if ND gets hit with the injury bug again they will be fine.

Kizer- He is also having a good camp. His advantage over Wimbush is that he knows the offense and it shows. Overall all 3 QBs are doing well.

St Brown: Guy is a beast for a Freshman. Him a Sanders look like they will get playing time as Frosh at the WR position. ND is stacked at the WR position this year. He is a Frosh and he is one of the better route runners not he team. Impressive. Brown was the only one to beat Russell.

Hunter: Continues to have a great camp. Watch out for him this year. He has one of the better hands on the team.

TE's- Jones and Weisher looking good. Jones is filled with confidence and it shows. He is impressing the coaches. Look for him in the red zone.

Boykins- He will be a good one. Wont see much time but wait until next year. Kid will be good.

Sanders and Fuller- ND might finally have some excitement on PR and KR. Both have been explosive and can take it back at any given time. Sanders(Fr) is winning the punt duties right now.

Yoon- Is still perfect in camp from 0-49 yards. Kelly can't wait to see how he does in games. This last couple of days they added crazy noise to see if that would affect him and it didn't.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Report: 8/18

MVP: Zaire: He is playing very up tempo the way kelly likes it and not making mistakes. He is starting to really excel. This is great news for the Irish. His biggest Strength so far is him going threw his progressions. He doesn't just look at 1 guy. Biggest weakness(not that bad): throwing motion. He has worked on it and it looks a lot better then last year. He has shown a quicker release. Overall its not bad now.

Top Offensive players:
MgGlinchey: Improving every day. Last year Kelly talked about how inconsistent he was well he is starting to be consistent and getting better and better every day.

Robinson: The added strength is helping him big time. he has been the most consistent WR in camp so far.

Josh Adams: Adams is showing Kelly that he wants some game carries. With CJ out he is getting his chance to shine. Fast and explosive kelly said.

Top Defensive Players:
Day: He has been playing in and outside on the line. He will most likely be on this list every week. Guy is a beast. He is in his best shape as a ND player this year. Guys Motor just keeps going.

Crawford: Well I stated before he is getting better every day and he has now took the lead as the nickel guy. He has beat out Farley(5th year Sr) so far. He is a fast CB and should be able to keep up with any WR in the Country. Future is bright for this kid. Fans don't want to think about losing Russell after this year but don't worry this kid will step right in.

Redfield: He continues to shine and its all clicking for him now. He was highly rated coming out of High school and he is starting to show why. Kid is a good one and kelly continues to mention he is NFL talent.

Sleepers:
Wimbush: I was a fan of him because I live in Jersey and watched him play. Kid is going to be good. He is really pushing for the #2 spot and to be honest wouldn't be shocked if he wins it. Kelly would love to redshirt him and I think he only plays if Z gets hurt and we have a good record. If not no reason to waste a year. He will be the future QB after Z.

Defense: This Defense is stacked. They have crazy depth also. A lot of talent. Defense continues to shine in camp. This D will shock some people and if ND gets hit with the injury bug again they will be fine.

Kizer- He is also having a good camp. His advantage over Wimbush is that he knows the offense and it shows. Overall all 3 QBs are doing well.

St Brown: Guy is a beast for a Freshman. Him a Sanders look like they will get playing time as Frosh at the WR position. ND is stacked at the WR position this year. He is a Frosh and he is one of the better route runners not he team. Impressive. Brown was the only one to beat Russell.

Hunter: Continues to have a great camp. Watch out for him this year. He has one of the better hands on the team.

TE's- Jones and Weisher looking good. Jones is filled with confidence and it shows. He is impressing the coaches. Look for him in the red zone.

Boykins- He will be a good one. Wont see much time but wait until next year. Kid will be good.

Sanders and Fuller- ND might finally have some excitement on PR and KR. Both have been explosive and can take it back at any given time. Sanders(Fr) is winning the punt duties right now.

Yoon- Is still perfect in camp from 0-49 yards. Kelly can't wait to see how he does in games. This last couple of days they added crazy noise to see if that would affect him and it didn't.
Good stuff puguy. My thoughts on Farley haven't changed much in 3 years. It doesn't surprise me that Crawford is beating him out, he is just straight up a better athelete. I think Farley will get his reps in obvious run support situations. I think we'll see more of Farley against teams like G Tech and Navy. He is good attacking upfield, is great busting up screen plays and bubble screens. Most of his tackling highlights are on such plays. The rest of the time, he is a liability in coverage. Always has been, always will be. Crawford can fill that role better than him.

The big knock on Zaire I am hearing is his throws over the deep middle tend to sail on him, which is a recipe for interceptions. Otherwise, not too many negatives. He will have better ball control than his predecessor, so I am not worried about stupid fumbles by being careless with the ball, which seemed to be about half or more of Golson's turnovers.

I'll reserve judgment on how stacked the defense is. I think there is quality depth, but 2-3 string does not appear fundamentally sound. Some of those videos show some pretty bad mistakes by guys like Nyles Morgan, who I am still waiting for the light to go on. He has the phyiscality and the motor, but man does he F up A LOT.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff puguy. My thoughts on Farley haven't changed much in 3 years. It doesn't surprise me that Crawford is beating him out, he is just straight up a better athelete. I think Farley will get his reps in obvious run support situations. I think we'll see more of Farley against teams like G Tech and Navy. He is good attacking upfield, is great busting up screen plays and bubble screens. Most of his tackling highlights are on such plays. The rest of the time, he is a liability in coverage. Always has been, always will be. Crawford can fill that role better than him.

The big knock on Zaire I am hearing is his throws over the deep middle tend to sail on him, which is a recipe for interceptions. Otherwise, not too many negatives. He will have better ball control than his predecessor, so I am not worried about stupid fumbles by being careless with the ball, which seemed to be about half or more of Golson's turnovers.

I'll reserve judgment on how stacked the defense is. I think there is quality depth, but 2-3 string does not appear fundamentally sound. Some of those videos show some pretty bad mistakes by guys like Nyles Morgan, who I am still waiting for the light to go on. He has the phyiscality and the motor, but man does he F up A LOT.
Overall Z deep ball has been ok. I think we will see a lot of shot to middle throws with this offense. I agree I think ball security is the big upgrade here. Golson lost us 3-4 games by himself with turnovers and could of lost more at the start of the season.

Morgan might be like Redfield where it might take him a little longer to get to that Top star play. Redfield was really bad for 2 years and now he is a stud(again this is going by the coaches).

I agree about wait see approach of the D. I definitely more depth on this team but we will find out ifs its quality depth. Time will tell.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also people forget this D looked good when healthy. Shut out Mich and beat stanford. Overall I thing the D will be fine.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also people forget this D looked good when healthy. Shut out Mich and beat stanford. Overall I thing the D will be fine.
They were full strength for UNC, and put up a good effort but couldn't stop Fla.St. In the second half, so it's debatable how good they really were.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little bad news Joe Schmidt broke his finger and will miss some time. Feel bad for this guy. Nothing major Kelly said. he will play against Texas unless there is any set back.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were full strength for UNC, and put up a good effort but couldn't stop Fla.St. In the second half, so it's debatable how good they really were.
yeah but FSU was the defending champs so U had to expect that outing. Im not saying they were great but when healthy they weren't as bad as they were at the end of the season.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH!!!! Down goes Crawford for the yr. Tough break. Should be OK with Farley in there. Heal up and see you next yr!!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH!!!! Down goes Crawford for the yr. Tough break. Should be OK with Farley in there. Heal up and see you next yr!!
For fuck's sake, can we get to the start of the season without losing anymore key players!

2013 Golson

2014 Frozen Five then all in-season injuries

2015. Golson again, Bryant, Jarron Jones and now Crawford. Schmidt will be hampered and Procise limited. We don't just lose guys. We lose guys we really, really need.

Crawford is better than Farley except in obvious running situations. He is serviceable, but we need more athletes like Crawford out there. I am so sick of the off season bullshit that happens to this team.