• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

calling it now 50 games MIN

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002WCF2.gif

Always nice to relive that moment.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t jump the gun there. A lot of people did that when the big 3 went to Miami and it didn’t quit work out in year one, they may win 50 this year but it’s no sure thing. It may take a few years for everything to click

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily.

If Houston still had the same roster, I'd agree. But they got worse, especially on defense, and the Lakers would have the best player on the floor.

We also don't know what CP3 has left, but we know he's likely to get hurt at some point.

Not saying it wouldn't be a fairly sizable upset if the Lakers beat them, but it's not crazy to say they could.
The loss of Ariza and Luc widens the gap between them and the Warriors.

It only closes the gap some for teams like the Raptors and Celtics.

Maybe the 76ers.

If the Bazemore trade goes thru, that helps the defense that the Rockets lost a wee bit.

Chris Paul being injured is always a possibility.

But, that's really the Lakers only hope for beating them in a 7 game series as both teams are currently constructed.

I don't see how the Lakers can keep up offensively.

I could be wrong. But, I think the Lakers will look a lot like the Bucks....

Otherworldly Generational player, surrounded by young or middling talent.

Obviously, as good as he is, Giannis is no Bron.

But, he plays in the East and the Lakers have to run the gauntlet in the West.

So, maybe last year's Pelicans is a better example.

Last edited:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lebron gets them to the playoffs but not sure that roster, even with Lebron, can win 50 games.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Lakers make the playoffs, I want to see those uniforms for as long as possible on my TV.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe the 76ers.

If the Bazemore trade goes thru, that helps the defense that the Rockets lost a wee bit.

But, that's really the Lakers only hope for beating them in a 7 game series as both teams are currently constructed.

Pretty much agree except for the bold. If the Rockets got worse and the Lakers got better...by definition, it closes the gap between them.

I agree that beating the Rockets in a 7 game series is unlikely, but not as unlikely as it would have been if the Rockets had kept the same roster.

The Lakers should be pretty good defensively and able to switch a lot on the perimeter. The main thing would be slowing Harden. The Lakers can throw several different players at him to change the looks.

He'll get his points, but if they can make him get them inefficiently, that will help their chances.

As for the offense, we don't know what they will be like offensively. How much, for example do Ingram, Kuzma, Ball and Hart all improve? How much does Lebron's presence on the court help with the quality of looks they get?

I certainly don't think they will be winning any shootouts with the Rockets, but if they can play well enough on defense, they won't have to.

Again, don't see them beating the Rockets, but I wouldn't be all that shocked if they did.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much agree except for the bold. If the Rockets got worse and the Lakers got better...by definition, it closes the gap between them.

I agree that beating the Rockets in a 7 game series is unlikely, but not as unlikely as it would have been if the Rockets had kept the same roster.

The Lakers should be pretty good defensively and able to switch a lot on the perimeter. The main thing would be slowing Harden. The Lakers can throw several different players at him to change the looks.

He'll get his points, but if they can make him get them inefficiently, that will help their chances.

As for the offense, we don't know what they will be like offensively. How much, for example do Ingram, Kuzma, Ball and Hart all improve? How much does Lebron's presence on the court help with the quality of looks they get?

I certainly don't think they will be winning any shootouts with the Rockets, but if they can play well enough on defense, they won't have to.

Again, don't see them beating the Rockets, but I wouldn't be all that shocked if they did.
I would be shocked.

The Rockets without Ariza last year actually had a better record than with him.

The 3 main guys of Capela/Harden/CP3 will actually have time together. Because of CP3's injuries they had played far less than a full season together. When all 3 of those guys played the Rockets were pretty much unbeatable.

LeBron is better than Harden but Harden did just win the MVP.

Cp3 is so far head and shoulders above anyone else the Lakers have its not crazy.

Capela would be the 2nd best player on the Lakers pretty easily. PJ Tucker is the exact type of versatile defender that is perfect in the NBA and hes tough as nails. Eric Gordon might even be the 2nd best player on the Lakers- prob. would be and at best hes the 4th best Rocket.

Many of the guys the Lakers are counting on have not even played in meaningful regular season games let alone playoff games. Walton has never coached in the playoffs before and that will be an adjustment.

If the Lakers got 2 games they against the Rockets they should consider that a great success. Ill give them the 1 game just because of the LeBron factor.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and for the love of God if you mention Mbah Moute like that means anything i am going to shit. lol.

The guy didnt even play in the first round. The 2nd round he averaged 19 minutes and 4 points a game. Against the Warriors he played in only 2 of the 7 games and 15 minutes. He is a nonfactor. He was their last guy off the bench.

He signed a 1 year contract worth nothing with the Clippers he was so highly regarded around the NBA.

Hes Jeff Green- actually Jeff Green is better- Jeff Green actually had a good playoff game or two and actually made an impact.

Rockets were 42-3 when Capela, CP3 and Harden all played.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im telling you bruh, im so fucking excited, i know whats up, the Lakers will win 50 games in the west, bank it
My reason for believing that the Lakers can win between 45 and 50 games is because I think there are enough pitiful teams to accomplish that goal. The Lakers have to play each team in the Eastern Conference two times - that should be good for 20 wins give or take - then beating the poor teams in the Western Conference, but the main reason will be Being able to close out games and avoiding injuries. The Lakers lost a lot of games last year because of injuries, but I am going to remain cautious and say it's a possibility. We haven't seen them play even one game yet.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it isn't. I actually have the Lakers winning about 50 games this year. Saying that is the minimum they will win seems a little bold.

Inimical has been on a tear for a little while.
I was in total agreement until he added that one word MINIMUM. The Lakers haven't played one game yet. They need to learn to play together and develop some chemistry - We have to what happens first. After the Lakers have played about 25 games - I will be less cautious with my hopes

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lakers Exit Interviews 2018: Brandon Ingram Advises Lonzo Ball To 'Work On His Body' - Lakers Nation

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BI is in his second year in the NBA at 20 years old. Here are the numbers he put up last year:

Brandon Ingram:

PPG APG RPG FG% 3P% Age
16.1 3.9 5.3 47% 39% 20
Kawhi Leonard:

PPG APG RPG FG% 3P% Age
11.9 1.6 6.0 49% 37% 21
Paul George:

PPG APG RPG FG% 3P% Age
12.1 2.4 5.6 44% 39% 21

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pointed out Kyle cause hes good for a god damn rookie, at the pick he was chosen, watch out league, watch out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets were 42-3 when Capela, CP3 and Harden all played.

Sure, but it doesn't make much sense to project they will play more games than that together this year. CP3 is an injury magnet. Will the supporting cast be able to step as well (or better) this year?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe the 76ers.

Capela would easily the Lakers 2nd best player

would Gordon be too? I would say probably.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but it doesn't make much sense to project they will play more games than that together this year. CP3 is an injury magnet. Will the supporting cast be able to step as well (or better) this year?
id say it really doesnt matter how many games they play together as long as they are all together during the playoffs. But we shall see.

The Rockets top 5 players are obviously Harden, CP3, Capela, Gordon, Tucker. Ariza was arguably what? somewhere between their 4th and 6th best player last year? He will be a loss but certainly not one that is a "major loss" like a Capela would have been.

At least, at this stage in their careers- just looking at this season- id think Capela would DEF. and Gordon would probably be the 2nd best player on the Lakers. The Lakers just matchup terrible against the Rockets. The lack of interior defense on the Lakers is astounding. Harden and CP3 will have a field day getting into the middle of that defense. The Lakers have no one besides LeBron that could guard Capela on the block.

I'd maybe give them 1 game just because of the LeBron factor, but if the Lakers play them and get 2 games, considering all the young guys they are relying on who have never even played meaningful regular season games, let alone playoff games, 2 games would be a great accomplishment.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id say it really doesnt matter how many games they play together as long as they are all together during the playoffs. But we shall see.

The Rockets top 5 players are obviously Harden, CP3, Capela, Gordon, Tucker. Ariza was arguably what? somewhere between their 4th and 6th best player last year? He will be a loss but certainly not one that is a "major loss" like a Capela would have been.

At least, at this stage in their careers- just looking at this season- id think Capela would DEF. and Gordon would probably be the 2nd best player on the Lakers. The Lakers just matchup terrible against the Rockets. The lack of interior defense on the Lakers is astounding. Harden and CP3 will have a field day getting into the middle of that defense. The Lakers have no one besides LeBron that could guard Capela on the block.

I'd maybe give them 1 game just because of the LeBron factor, but if the Lakers play them and get 2 games, considering all the young guys they are relying on who have never even played meaningful regular season games, let alone playoff games, 2 games would be a great accomplishment.

I don't think you're giving the Lakers' defensive abilities enough credit, especially as they trend toward being able to switch at all positions (dammit Randle).

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 50 wins and a first round exit. Congratulations I guess????

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have LeBron.

If you dont win at least 45 games (as long as LeBron remains healthy) every person that is even tangentially connected to the organizaiton should be fired and never allowed to work for a basketball team- whether its NBA, International, G-League, LaVar Ball's bullshit league, the league Whiteside played on in Serbia, etc. ever again.
Oh I believe the Lakers will win real close to 50 games and go to the WCFs