• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cal Offensive Rankings

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring 22ND 37.1per game
Rushing 88 153.88 per game
Passing 4th 358.8
Total 10th 513.20
Third Down 75th
Red Zone 40th

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that with a new QB and 6 new WR's...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgerson did have his best offenses with Spavitol. Seemed to be good with Geno. Did he coach Manziel on his heisman year. I think so. Maybe Grier will be his next.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an old piece on Spav when he was at A&M ( love to have ol Kings opine on all this FTR). They were calling for his head but its pretty clear Spav wasn't the problem at A&M imo.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.good...nce-sec-kevin-sumlin-kyle-allen?client=safari

I read that article last week after it was rumored Jake was on his way back to Morgantown.

The article makes some great points. I have made the same regarding the WVU offense. Let's take a look...

"Let's look at some other high powered offensive teams for relevant comparisons. Outside of a couple Heisman-winning phenoms, generally speaking, offenses do well when they have experience at quarterback. As the old saying goes, "it's not about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's." What does that mean? It means that great players are more important than great scheme.

Last year, 13 of the top 15 leaders in pass efficiency were upperclassmen. In 2013, it was 11/15. In 2012, 11/15 again. In 2011, it was 11/15, and in 2010, 13/15. It is a historical fact that it is rare for an underclassmen to be a national leader in pass efficiency. It's reasonable to hope that Kyle Allen could be there, but as for expecting it, maybe top 25 or so is a more fair expectation.

Furthermore, as detailed above, A&M hasn't exactly been playing with a full complement of offensive skill position players. Last year it was inexperience at the receiver positions, this year it's lack of depth at running back and tight end while playing without the expected starter at the X position."

We have posters criticizing the WVU offense of the past two years. Claiming that it has gotten worse. Worse than what? I believe this point applies to any offense... anywhere... we were witness to it in the RAB. Slaton kept asking why we couldn't throw the ball downfield. Skyler had no time. And, Dana couldn't afford risking injury to his QB.

"Other criticisms of Spav include accusations that his offense is too predictable, too focused on bubble screens and shot perimeter passes. During the middle part of last year there was some truth to that, and while I could write another essay on why I think that happened schematically (short version: with Hill at QB, knowing that true freshman Kyle Allen wasn't ready, A&M was protecting Hill physically by not ever running him and not calling many long-developing passes so things were quick and we weren't keeping linebackers honest with either the run or the pass), but the fact is that was remedied and A&M beat a top 10 team on the road, was one play from beating both Mizzou and LSU, and won their bowl game behind a strong offensive performance. Fast forward to this year, and A&M has been anything but predictable, as A&M has done everything from power run game with two tight ends to play action bootleg passing to empty sets with both quick and deep passes, and every bit of it has had success."