• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cable TV is dead. That's why the next round of college football realignment could look more like the

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the article, it said the current college football model wouldn't be profitable and they'd have to shed all the small schools to make enough attractive games for someone to want to pay. Basically dump Iowa state and South Carolina and make the big schools all play each other.

Why just those two schools?

Depending on your definition of "big," you might be left with only about a dozen programs, and nobody wants to just see those schools play each other all the time. You end up with a bunch of 6-6 teams.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why just those two schools?

Depending on your definition of "big," you might be left with only about a dozen programs, and nobody wants to just see those schools play each other all the time. You end up with a bunch of 6-6 teams.

That's my point, if cable dies I think College football takes a huge hit. The beautiful thing about college football and cable is on Saturday morning you can channel surf a bunch of networks, even games that aren't desirable. Ratings aren't great, but these fringe networks need content. With streaming we're only paying for what we absolutely want, no more extra cash for Texas vs North Texas, USC vs Fresno state, etc.

NFL will be fine because they already have this model, Fox and CBS pick from a bunch of games every Sunday and broadcast the best one.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and let me know how the NFL is going to replace the billion dollar contract for Monday Night Football because that ain't happing and that alone will send salary caps down across the league.

You really don't get the economics of what is happening but Texas fans rarely do.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should just be schools that rep the state like Michigan, Texas,Alabama ,West Virginia.
None of this Auburn, Miami, Marshall crap anymore, states only.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIOS is in the big cities. Expanding the system is hugely expensive. Here in the Northeast we've been seeing FIOS commercials for the past 10 years and yet the system has not moved out of Boston. Their (Verizon) internet sucks. If you live more than 150 yards from a transformer it takes hours to download anything.

DirecTV was great until AT&T bought it. It requires a wifi signal to catch any broadcast and up here that wifi is provided by guess who? Xfinity (Comcast). Try to download an ON Demand movie and you start getting error messages about the wifi signal being lost. OF course it is, Xfinity isn't going to just give away that signal and now they've programmed it so that DirecTV On Demand doesn't work worth a shit. After 7 years on DirecTV I switched back to Xfinity. It costs me $100 a month less because I don't have to pay for my internet separately plus DirecTV's fees.

Xfinity and Warner have the internet market and if you combine cable and phone it's less than $200 a month.
If cable loses customers, internet and wifi services will go through the roof.

Streaming? Someone has to pay for the camera crews and broadcast rights. It may be inexpensive now because not everyone has figured how to use it.

Personally, I like watching my 55" and 65" TV's when I watch baseball, Basketball, Hockey or Football. My Iphone is too small for me.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that any and all models that have relied on the cable TV revenue stream will go through some type of changes. Some will come out better and some not so much.

The author is right that the quality of the product will matter much more in pay to stream model where few are going to be interested in teams playing shitstain state, but I'm not sure the writing is on the wall for such a radical departure. There are quite a few more schools than 32 with enough following to generate some type of pay to view profits.

If anything the older model of the independent schools might become more attractive, not defunct (as they have ND in their new 32 team super pack). The schools with more national draw might end up less likely to want to help support conference driven profit sharing to support those weaker schools if they have a way to manage a stream and their own profits.

There are way too many sucking on the teat right now and some are going to fall off. Just doubt it's as many as this person thinks.

Change is coming for sure though. Even if the profits go down I don't see the product failing anytime in my lifetime.

Which is about the only positive Larry Scott and the Pac12 have done is set it up to where they own all their content rights.