• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cable TV is dead. That's why the next round of college football realignment could look more like the

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football existed similarly before TV contracts, it will continue to exist without them. A 30 team league is just out of the question really. It's so far beyond a possibility that it's not worth discussing. What would be more likely, and what I've been promoting, is separating the Power Five from everyone else. That would make it about 60 teams. I don't think you're going to be able to shrink it much lower than that.

Money will come from other stuff, streaming services will even out and conferences will know what they're working with money wise. You're more likely to see staffers start to make less than CFB lower the number of teams in Div1.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When cable tv dies the gravy train is over for college football. Streaming will be the norm, but not at the high prices cable charge, meaning the payouts won't be as much.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When cable tv dies the gravy train is over for college football. Streaming will be the norm, but not at the high prices cable charge, meaning the payouts won't be as much.
There is cash for college football it's still relatively cheap. Netflix would take CBS' SEC deal tomorrow and bump the price because of the subscription potential.

Subscriptions is where the money will be.

The NFL is in trouble ain't no one paying a billion for Monday Night Football.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is cash for college football it's still relatively cheap. Netflix would take CBS' SEC deal tomorrow and bump the price because of the subscription potential.

Subscriptions is where the money will be.

The NFL is in trouble ain't no one paying a billion for Monday Night Football.

Lol you think college football would be fine but the NFL is in trouble? I guess in Alabama college football is bigger, but in the rest of America the NFL is the sports king.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you think college football would be fine but the NFL is in trouble? I guess in Alabama college football is bigger, but in the rest of America the NFL is the sports king.
You really need to read the entire post because the point is money wise college football is still a great value for any media venue. The NFL is now probably over substantial value. That means the NFL will have to cut budget at some point where at least the P5 conferences should be able to find alternative revenue sources.

It's not a popularity question but an economic one.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a steaming pile of crap to me.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that any and all models that have relied on the cable TV revenue stream will go through some type of changes. Some will come out better and some not so much.

The author is right that the quality of the product will matter much more in pay to stream model where few are going to be interested in teams playing shitstain state, but I'm not sure the writing is on the wall for such a radical departure. There are quite a few more schools than 32 with enough following to generate some type of pay to view profits.

If anything the older model of the independent schools might become more attractive, not defunct (as they have ND in their new 32 team super pack). The schools with more national draw might end up less likely to want to help support conference driven profit sharing to support those weaker schools if they have a way to manage a stream and their own profits.

There are way too many sucking on the teat right now and some are going to fall off. Just doubt it's as many as this person thinks.

Change is coming for sure though. Even if the profits go down I don't see the product failing anytime in my lifetime.

Caped Crusader

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a one or two conferences will expand, but nothing much will be different from what it is now.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have said for a long time - it will not be long before we see contraction being the norm rather than expansion.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really need to read the entire post because the point is money wise college football is still a great value for any media venue. The NFL is now probably over substantial value. That means the NFL will have to cut budget at some point where at least the P5 conferences should be able to find alternative revenue sources.

It's not a popularity question but an economic one.

I read the article, it said the current college football model wouldn't be profitable and they'd have to shed all the small schools to make enough attractive games for someone to want to pay. Basically dump Iowa state and South Carolina and make the big schools all play each other.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the article, it said the current college football model wouldn't be profitable and they'd have to shed all the small schools to make enough attractive games for someone to want to pay. Basically dump Iowa state and South Carolina and make the big schools all play each other.
That article is crap.

Cable will be gone and subscription services will be the future. However TV won't go away completely and people will watch college football and will pay to be able to do it.

The P5 conferences are still under valued and will be able to find alternative income sources. The NCAA basketball tournament is worth a billion by itself and is the main source of yearly income for the NCAA. All the schooos have the do is kick the NCAA to the curb and there is a ton of money to make up for cable. With steaming it will be less but still a substantial cut.

There is no doubt smaller schools will suffer and we will probably see the emergence of a super division in college football but there is opportunity with restructure.

The NFL is going to take the big hit and so will other pro sports as they have tapped as many markets as they can already. College football has not.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the huge money making programs will still make huge amounts of money while leaving the smaller programs in the dust and not supporting them anymore.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is crap.

Cable will be gone and subscription services will be the future. However TV won't go away completely and people will watch college football and will pay to be able to do it.

The P5 conferences are still under valued and will be able to find alternative income sources. The NCAA basketball tournament is worth a billion by itself and is the main source of yearly income for the NCAA. All the schooos have the do is kick the NCAA to the curb and there is a ton of money to make up for cable. With steaming it will be less but still a substantial cut.

There is no doubt smaller schools will suffer and we will probably see the emergence of a super division in college football but there is opportunity with restructure.

The NFL is going to take the big hit and so will other pro sports as they have tapped as many markets as they can already. College football has not.

I completely disagree with this, and the ratings of the NFL compared to college ball back me up. The college ball money train won't be as green without cable, as streaming services won't be as desperate for content since you're only paying for what you want. So basically without an ESPNU type of channels needing content, no matter how boring "Texas vs UTSA" the payouts for college ball won't be as big. Supply and demand, steaming will make college football a regional sport, with some of us choosing to sometimes stream the bigger games per conference, "Alabama vs Auburn".

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree with this, and the ratings of the NFL compared to college ball back me up. The college ball money train won't be as green without cable, as streaming services won't be as desperate for content since you're only paying for what you want. So basically without an ESPNU type of channels needing content, no matter how boring "Texas vs UTSA" the payouts for college ball won't be as big. Supply and demand, steaming will make college football a regional sport, with some of us choosing to sometimes stream the bigger games per conference, "Alabama vs Auburn".
It's going to be subscription based and it will work with the current numbers that are being generated.

You don't have to believe me just watch what happens.