• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye Week Midseason Draft Thoughts

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D should work a little more aggressively either way.....
They should not be putting all this on the offense, Yea we have an offense that can put up 30+ points a game, but the D should not be depending on this on a weekly basis.

Ben has a shitty game, or gets hurt....we can't bank on those points. I think we can all agree this 'bend but not break' shit is FUBAR!!!!

I understood it the 1st few games, the back end is still young, I get that, but week 9 it's time to leave the nest...let them boys play!

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understood it the 1st few games, the back end is still young, I get that, but week 9 it's time to leave the nest...let them boys play!

IDK, maybe it's because Heyward is out..... we have no run stop.
And with no run stop, the LBs have to play the line.... So we have no pass rush.
No pass rush.... The QBs are picking apart the DB's.

It's just an endless circle....We need another guy on the line to stop the run, then maybe this all corrects itself.

Well there's two of Tomlin's theorys shot to shit.....
Bend, but not break.....Fubar
Next man up.....BULLSHIT

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, maybe it's because Heyward is out..... we have no run stop.
And with no run stop, the LBs have to play the line.... So we have no pass rush.
No pass rush.... The QBs are picking apart the DB's.

It's just an endless circle....We need another guy on the line to stop the run, then maybe this all corrects itself.

Well there's two of Tomlin's theorys shot to shit.....
Bend, but not break.....Fubar
Next man up.....BULLSHIT

Right about the run game and I can see that early in the downs, but on 3rd and 8, why are they worried about the run?

So far, the only next guy up that's really wet the bed has been Landry...just happens to be the most important position on the field.

Strange season so far, the Steelers have either smoked the opponent or got smoked. Hard to gauge what this team is all about right now.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right about the run game and I can see that early in the downs, but on 3rd and 8, why are they worried about the run?

So far, the only next guy up that's really wet the bed has been Landry...just happens to be the most important position on the field.

Strange season so far, the Steelers have either smoked the opponent or got smoked. Hard to gauge what this team is all about right now.

If the next man up were true, Where is the run stop that we have when Heyward is in the game???
And the linebackers who need to step up with Depree being out???

As for 3rd and 8, this team has forever played a prevent on 3rd downs, which prevents you from winning.
I mean, you have LB's chasing TE's.... how are you gonna blitz if your linebackers are chasing guys that are gonna beat them 9 out of 10 times???

Times have sure changed, we used to have these debates about the offense sucking wind, never the defense!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the next man up were true, Where is the run stop that we have when Heyward is in the game???
And the linebackers who need to step up with Depree being out???

As for 3rd and 8, this team has forever played a prevent on 3rd downs, which prevents you from winning.
I mean, you have LB's chasing TE's.... how are you gonna blitz if your linebackers are chasing guys that are gonna beat them 9 out of 10 times???

Times have sure changed, we used to have these debates about the offense sucking wind, never the defense!!!

The results vs the run have sucked, but has it been because Heyward hasn't been in there?

Again, in all 4 wins they got up early on the team and maintain it into the 3rd which took them out of the run game...Philly ran the ball pretty well with Heyward playing. Of course the last two have been piss poor.

Yes, we know Heyward is a big factor on DEF, but the guys that iso these players and grade them have not really killed Hargrave, McCullers or Mathews. I've seen every game and can't figure it out either. I really just think, Ben's presence effects the whole team...when the OFC is clicking and converting 3rd down, etc., the DEF plays more inspired.

Agree 100% on the DEF normally being the calling card, so it's odd to see them being the weaker side of the ball, but with so much turnover on D and playing so many young guys, they are where they are...I'd like to think Butler will get it turn around....the DIV is wide open and aside from NE, the AFC looks pretty wide open to me.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also heard, Cameron Wake from Miami....

I'm not positive on Wake, but they did say a 34 year old on Defense.....

I agree it is a high pick, but they said he could step in NOW and help with these younger guys.
Let's face it, this bend but not break shit aint getting it done!!!!
I thinks he's been hurt a lot lately and a 2nd is too high for an often injured 34 year old IMO.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thinks he's been hurt a lot lately and a 2nd is too high for an often injured 34 year old IMO.

The second pick was mentioned for Haden

Keep up Dude!!!! :lol:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second pick was mentioned for Haden

Keep up Dude!!!! :lol:
I'm too busy at work to keep up today. What was discused that the Steelers would offer for Wake. I hope a 6th or 7th round pick at best.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too busy at work to keep up today. What was discused that the Steelers would offer for Wake. I hope a 6th or 7th round pick at best.

It was said about using trade bait.....

Maybe Wheaton.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate when work gets in the way of plortsing!!!!

:lol:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheaton for Wake? If both can pass a physical (a BIG 'if') I'd be OK with that trade.

It was a rumor that was flying around over the weekend.....
I haven't found anything to back it yet, but stranger things have happened!!!!

Like our D sucks and our Offense is doing the usual in killing itself!!!

:lol:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheaton is definitely worth the dangle... We talked about it earlier in this thread, but he's as good as gone this offseason. The emergence of Rogers & Coates has sealed that fate. Add in the return of Martavis Bryant, and Demarcus Ayers on the PS... Wheaton has nowhere to fit in. He had his chances but couldn't stay healthy.

Report: Saints Signing LB Travis Freeney Off Of Steelers' Practice Squad - Steelers Depot

I think we called this back in Sept...surprised he lasted this long.

He was never ging to play OLB for the Steelers, but I would've like to have seen him as a nickel ILB.

But, he's definitely more of a 4-3 OLB and the Saints are that...maybe he'll get a real shot with them.

Which leads me to...nearly all of the early mocks are loading up on LBs for the Black & Gold...I'll have to watch a few more bowl games than usual to see some of these kids that I've never seen or heard of.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Saints Signing LB Travis Freeney Off Of Steelers' Practice Squad - Steelers Depot

I think we called this back in Sept...surprised he lasted this long.

He was never ging to play OLB for the Steelers, but I would've like to have seen him as a nickel ILB.

But, he's definitely more of a 4-3 OLB and the Saints are that...maybe he'll get a real shot with them.

Which leads me to...nearly all of the early mocks are loading up on LBs for the Black & Gold...I'll have to watch a few more bowl games than usual to see some of these kids that I've never seen or heard of.
Bummer. Well at least he was considered a project here in Pitts. Probably would have taken another year or 2 to get about the same return we got out of Terrance Garvin. Like we said this offseason, he would have needed some added weight on that frame to play OLB here.

Wishin him luck!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUARTERBACK
Expiring Contracts: Jones, Gradkowski
My take: Have a hard time justifying Landry's existence in Pittsburgh, but it keeps happening every year. Now that his contract is up, the Steelers will have to answer the question of whether he has learned & developed enough to justify keeping him onboard as a QB2. With Mett in the fold it gives them leverage, not that they need it. But I think we can all agree the Landry Jones experiment should be buried.

Need: Moderate

My guess at this point Landry will get resigned. Sad but true. With Mett still UC, I'd knock the need level down to Low.

RUNNING BACK (RB, FB)
Expiring Contracts: Bell, D-Williams, Toussaint, Nix
My take: This next FA period is going to be a highly debated one for Pittsburgh fans. We know Bell isn't trustworthy enough to earn the contract he wants, but will he command the top dollar? If he tries to explore the open market you can bet your sweet ass 31 teams will be calling. He could get the $12-15mil, but it wouldn't be here. It will be interesting to see where his priorities lie. With D-Will also set to become a FA, and also could be contemplating retirement, it's easy to see why Colbert has been stocking the PS cupboard with RB talent. Daryl Richardson & Karlos Williams are there. We could be in for a major shakeup at the RB position next season. Nix was a great acquisition last year, but it looks like he was very out of shape this offseason.

Need: High

Few things to change here. D-Rich is gone and Nix will be a FA. Will Bell get the franchise tag? Need is still
High.

RECEIVERS (WR, TE)
Expiring Contracts: Wheaton, D-Johnson, Grimble
My take: Sorry Wheaton, I don't think there's much of a chance that you stick around. You cannot seem to shake a shoulder injury this season, and Eli Rogers & Sammie Coates have emerged and they aren't going anywhere. Add in Ayers and the writing is on the wall. Depending on what we see from Green's activation, either DJ or Grimble could be released at that point. Doubt the team will carry 4 TE's with other positions being so thin. I think now that Nix is healthy, DJ will get the axe once Green is ready. They can resign 1 of Johnson or Grimble for cheap.

Need: Low

WR has zero priority other than extending AB. Depth is still ridiculous at the position. Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Ayers, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Severin (IR/PS), and Tucker (IR/PS).

TE is a different story. What to make of Ladarius Green's concussions is concerning. If they decide to part with Green, that leaves Jesse James as the only TE on the roster. Should be enough to bump the need level to
Moderate.

O-LINE (OT, G, C)
Expiring Contracts: Villanueva, Wallace, Hubbard, Manhart
My take: A-Vill is a no-brainer resign. They won't let him walk like they did Beach because they still don't know what they have in Hawkins. I could see A-Vill getting a 3-yr contract. Also, Harris will still be under contract next season so that gives them flexibility. But given Harris' injury history, I wouldn't feel very assured depending on him. Hubbard's emergence as a OT helps his case tremendously. He is far from polished, but given his position flexibility I'd love to see him stick around. He's seen work at every position on the O-line (looked awful at LT in the preseason though lol). Wallace used to be a fan favorite but my patience has worn thin. He's currently costing the Steelers $3.5mil and he has yet to suit up. He was a serviceable player when healthy, but Finney has emerged and will be under contract next year so that makes Wallace very expendable.

Nothing to add here. Wallace will be gone because Finney is a beast.

D-LINE (DE, NT/DT)
Expiring Contracts:
Matthews
My take: Not too many expiring contracts worthy of mentioning. Only Matthews, who I think could be kept around for cheap should he prove worthy. Walton is still grooming who could emerge next offseason.
Need: Low

Walton played really well this season. Enough that the loss of Matthews shouldn't concern anyone.

LB (ILB/OLB)
Expiring Contracts:
Timmons, J Jones, Harrison, Chickillo, Fort, S Johnson
My take: Not sure Timmons sticks around. He's lost a step or 2, but he's still serviceable. V-Will was extended last offseason so I think Timmons is gone. Only thing that worries me is that Shazier can't stay healthy. They need someone they can depend on. Matakevich has a stellar reputation so far, but is still developing. Maybe Timmons gets a 1-yr extension? Jones & Chick will likely get resigned for cheap, but the OLB position is in dire need of an upgrade. I don't see Feeney coming off the PS next season and making waves. Maybe he gets transitioned to ILB like we originally predicted he would.
Need: High

Predicting this will be the 1st or 2nd round pick for the Steelers this year. Nothing against Deebo, but he shouldn't be the Steelers best pass rushing option. Dupree will be that guy if he can stay healthy, but they need to get new blood. JJ is not the answer.

DB (CB/S)
Expiring Contracts:
Cockrell, S Thomas, Dangerfield, Ventrone
My take: I think Cockrell needs to be resigned. He is still young and developing. We've seen his potential, and he could become something special. If he walks that would leave Gay, Burns, Gilbert & Golson as a very questionable group. They don't know what they have in Gilbert & Golson yet. And Golson hasn't even proved he's durable enough to survive a single training camp. Should Cockrell walk, they would need to draft or acquire someone. It would be nice to see them at least draft a CB that is a better zone-scheme fit. The loss of Thomas & Ventrone isn't much to worry about, but I'd like to see Dangerfield stick around. He's proven to be everything the team wanted from Thomas ironically. Davis is still grooming, so he has time to potentially unseat Golden. The starting safety positions are in good hands, but will need depth should none of the 3 listed above get resigned.
They need to replace Gay. The move to the inside should have done wonders for him but it didn't. Golson & Gilbert are still unknowns, so it will be interesting to see how they are used this offseason.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess at this point Landry will get resigned. Sad but true. With Mett still UC, I'd knock the need level down to Low.

Few things to change here. D-Rich is gone and Nix will be a FA. Will Bell get the franchise tag? Need is still
High.

WR has zero priority other than extending AB. Depth is still ridiculous at the position. Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Ayers, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Severin (IR/PS), and Tucker (IR/PS).

TE is a different story. What to make of Ladarius Green's concussions is concerning. If they decide to part with Green, that leaves Jesse James as the only TE on the roster. Should be enough to bump the need level to
Moderate.

Nothing to add here. Wallace will be gone because Finney is a beast.

Walton played really well this season. Enough that the loss of Matthews shouldn't concern anyone.

Predicting this will be the 1st or 2nd round pick for the Steelers this year. Nothing against Deebo, but he shouldn't be the Steelers best pass rushing option. Dupree will be that guy if he can stay healthy, but they need to get new blood. JJ is not the answer.

They need to replace Gay. The move to the inside should have done wonders for him but it didn't. Golson & Gilbert are still unknowns, so it will be interesting to see how they are used this offseason.

I'm going straight the guts of this draft.

OLB...Deebo has said he wants to come back and I'm okay with that, but new blood is a must...at theis point, I'm not sure if a contract will be extended to J. Jones at all. As a pass rusher, he's maybe the 4th best on the team.

The question is what do you get at 28th...Walter Football is mocking Chris Harris from Mizzou...I've seen CBS mocking him to PIT as well. Never seen the kid play, but a name to watch in the combine. Supposedly a deep edge rusher draft so we'll have to see.

ILB...If Timmons is retained at a cap friendly deal, maybe they don't look too early at this position. I do like this kid Zac Cumminham from Vandy...listed as OLB, but I think 4-3 only...has the game to play inside, athletic...good player.

BPA types...if OJ Howard, TE from Bama is on the board...I'm interested. Jabrill Peppers, S, Mich...I'm interested.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going straight the guts of this draft.

OLB...Deebo has said he wants to come back and I'm okay with that, but new blood is a must...at theis point, I'm not sure if a contract will be extended to J. Jones at all. As a pass rusher, he's maybe the 4th best on the team.

The question is what do you get at 28th...Walter Football is mocking Chris Harris from Mizzou...I've seen CBS mocking him to PIT as well. Never seen the kid play, but a name to watch in the combine. Supposedly a deep edge rusher draft so we'll have to see.

ILB...If Timmons is retained at a cap friendly deal, maybe they don't look too early at this position. I do like this kid Zac Cumminham from Vandy...listed as OLB, but I think 4-3 only...has the game to play inside, athletic...good player.

BPA types...if OJ Howard, TE from Bama is on the board...I'm interested. Jabrill Peppers, S, Mich...I'm interested.
OLB is probably the top priority, unless Bell leaves the 'Burgh.

Heard PIT will be picking at 30th. But yea, not sure what will be available. I know its a long shot, but the off-field issues with Tim Williams from Bama could push him down the boards. That kid is going to be an animal in the NFL if he can stay clean. His burst rivals Dupree, and IMO he might have the best hand technique in the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB is probably the top priority, unless Bell leaves the 'Burgh.

Heard PIT will be picking at 30th. But yea, not sure what will be available. I know its a long shot, but the off-field issues with Tim Williams from Bama could push him down the boards. That kid is going to be an animal in the NFL if he can stay clean. His burst rivals Dupree, and IMO he might have the best hand technique in the draft.

Yeah...30th should be right...ATL or NE will be 31 and 32.

Williams from Bama is a potential stud, I didn't plan on him being on the board that late, but maybe some teams don't have him on their board due to the off field issues.

Bell will get tagged and most likely signed long term with an out clause in there,

RB is still another position they need depth.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...30th should be right...ATL or NE will be 31 and 32.

Williams from Bama is a potential stud, I didn't plan on him being on the board that late, but maybe some teams don't have him on their board due to the off field issues.

Bell will get tagged and most likely signed long term with an out clause in there,

RB is still another position they need depth.
Do you think they will have the space for AB & Bell's contract? Not to mention A-Vill, Cockrell, Nix, etc? Everywhere that I've been reading about the Steelers offseason has mentioned the cap situation as "tight". But I haven't done any fact checking of my own on that end so I don't know what to think of it.

And yes on the RB depth. D-Will & K-will shouldn't be viewed as the answer. I'd like to see D-Will stick around for another season though.