• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Butler on Super Bowl Benching

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Butler opens up about Super Bowl benching

Former Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler, who signed with the Titans today, discussed a wide range of topics with the Boston Herald, including his Super Bowl LI benching against the Eagles.

Butler never got an explanation for the benching and hasn’t spoken with Bill Belichick since the Patriots departed Minnesota. But he did surmise why he didn’t take the field on defense.

“I never got a reason,” Butler told the Herald. "I feel like this was the reason: I got kind of sick. I went to the hospital. They probably thought I was kind of late on the game plan; I wasn’t as locked in as I should be and could have been a matchup deal. It could have been anything. But Bill Belichick has been doing this for a very long time. He took a veteran out of Super Bowl XLIX (against the Seahawks) and put in a first-year rookie, and that turned out right, so you could never question his decision. It didn’t work out right (against the Eagles). It didn’t work out the best for me or him or the New England Patriots. But I can say he won more than he lost, so it is what it is. I always have love for New England, Bill Belichick, Mr. Kraft, all those guys. Life just goes on.”

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doesn't get any sort of blame for the Pats S.B. loss. The person that deserves the blame is the person that bench him.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like a reasonable explanation as I mean BB requires players to practice during a Nor Easter!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doesn't get any sort of blame for the Pats S.B. loss. The person that deserves the blame is the person that bench him.

I am putting the blame on the entire defense and BB, Not Buter

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much... gracious response by Butler. Could have been resentful.

Very true. However it's pretty easy to be nice after signing the contract he did. Then again, a lesser person would say negative things

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got sick? Hmmmmm

funny-seems-legit-polar-bear-penguin-pics-600x604.jpg

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Belichick has lost it last few years, bite his nose to spite his hoodie face. He should have played Butler, even if he caught him banging his girl. This team will go back to be mediocre once Brady hangs it up. belichick would trade his own son for the right no# or pick

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has lost it last few years, bite his nose to spite his hoodie face. He should have played Butler, even if he caught him banging his girl. This team will go back to be mediocre once Brady hangs it up. belichick would trade his own son for the right no# or pick

I honestly think with all the players not getting re-signed.. Especially Dola that Brady hangs them up after this season. Yes, he should have played Butler when he realized the D couldn't stop a pee wee league team (at least have him play late in the 4th when the Pats took the lead

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think with all the players not getting re-signed.. Especially Dola that Brady hangs them up after this season. Yes, he should have played Butler when he realized the D couldn't stop a pee wee league team (at least have him play late in the 4th when the Pats took the lead

I felt bad for the kid, he had tears in his eyes. Bill told him that he would play but not start, and special fucking teams , are you kidding me? Butler and the other guy that came from Seattle made a huge play to help win the SB vs Seattle and no loyalty. Brady is on the 20th hole so , he only has 1-2 years no matter who plays,but he did have good chem with Edelman and Danny, besides being good friends

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt bad for the kid, he had tears in his eyes. Bill told him that he would play but not start, and special fucking teams , are you kidding me? Butler and the other guy that came from Seattle made a huge play to help win the SB vs Seattle and no loyalty. Brady is on the 20th hole so , he only has 1-2 years no matter who plays,but he did have good chem with Edelman and Danny, besides being good friends

Yeah I mean I get benching him for 3 quarters and even most of the 4th but Jesus Christ the D was getting picked to shreds and they had the lead! Come on BB!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will never understand why Bill benched him, he's a decent corner and probably couldn't made an impact vs the Eagles... It's hard to question Bill with all of his success as a coach, but he's human, I think he made a human mistake on this one...