• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Butler Hints As To "Why" He Didn't Play In SB LII

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing non discussion in Tennessee this week. Malcolm Butler and Bill Belichick have exchanged texts since the season ended and Malcolm decided to move on.

On the Belichick side, BB has never bad mouthed or thrown MB under the bus. He's refused to discuss his reasons for sidelining Butler and/or the consequences that Butler not playing had on the Patriots.

On the Butler side, he's never said anything negative about BB or ever called him out. He's always been like the coach and refused to discuss the sidelining, but has always said he accepts it because it was his fault.

Word this week is that Butler has discussed it with some people under the condition that it never be leaaked or discussed to anyone else. We all know how that works.

As pieces are starting to fall together "I", BigKen, am beginning to see something.

We all know that Butler did not make curfew the night before the Super Bowl. No one has even questioned where he was or what he was doing or how much did he miss the curfew by. We know he was drink because the team had dinner together and he was drinking with the team. We know the team was instructed to be in their room by 11:00 PM and in bed by Midnight.

Butler missed the curfew and there are two stories. The first is that got in after 2:00 AM and the second is that he got back to the hotel at 4:00 AM. Now the story gets a bit fuzzy because Butler admits to drinking heavily. And he indicates, does NOT admit to being 'stoned'. When I was a teenager back in the 60's being stoned was being drunk. By the late 60's when I was in the service, being stoned was being under the influence of drugs or grass. So was MB drunk and stoned or just drunk?

BB sat him for the entire game not just for the night before, but Butler missed the bus to the stadium before the game because he was sleeping it off.

This is my sense of what happened.....not anyone else's.................

Butler went out after the dinner. He had been drinking and drank a lot more, and most likely was drunk. Sometime during the night, he smoked some weed and might have done a couple of lines. He somehow got back to the hotel somewhere around 4:00 AM. I would guess that there were team officials walking and sitting around the hotel just in case there was a problem, some one got sick, someone had an emergency. These guys helped MB get to his room and into bed.

The team bus arrived at the Minnesota Dome at 12:15 PM. Everyone but MB was on the bus. BB knows what happened and is really pissed. MB wakes up late, grabs a cab to the stadium. BB and MB have a private meeting and BB determines that MB is not in condition at that time to play in an NFL Championship game and tells hium right there and then, you ain't playing today because your not in condition to do anything, let alone play professional football.

This is my take on what I think happened from the information that's been leaked out. Maybe in 10-12 years we'll get all of the actual facts.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing non discussion in Tennessee this week. Malcolm Butler and Bill Belichick have exchanged texts since the season ended and Malcolm decided to move on.

On the Belichick side, BB has never bad mouthed or thrown MB under the bus. He's refused to discuss his reasons for sidelining Butler and/or the consequences that Butler not playing had on the Patriots.

On the Butler side, he's never said anything negative about BB or ever called him out. He's always been like the coach and refused to discuss the sidelining, but has always said he accepts it because it was his fault.

Word this week is that Butler has discussed it with some people under the condition that it never be leaaked or discussed to anyone else. We all know how that works.

As pieces are starting to fall together "I", BigKen, am beginning to see something.

We all know that Butler did not make curfew the night before the Super Bowl. No one has even questioned where he was or what he was doing or how much did he miss the curfew by. We know he was drink because the team had dinner together and he was drinking with the team. We know the team was instructed to be in their room by 11:00 PM and in bed by Midnight.

Butler missed the curfew and there are two stories. The first is that got in after 2:00 AM and the second is that he got back to the hotel at 4:00 AM. Now the story gets a bit fuzzy because Butler admits to drinking heavily. And he indicates, does NOT admit to being 'stoned'. When I was a teenager back in the 60's being stoned was being drunk. By the late 60's when I was in the service, being stoned was being under the influence of drugs or grass. So was MB drunk and stoned or just drunk?

BB sat him for the entire game not just for the night before, but Butler missed the bus to the stadium before the game because he was sleeping it off.

This is my sense of what happened.....not anyone else's.................

Butler went out after the dinner. He had been drinking and drank a lot more, and most likely was drunk. Sometime during the night, he smoked some weed and might have done a couple of lines. He somehow got back to the hotel somewhere around 4:00 AM. I would guess that there were team officials walking and sitting around the hotel just in case there was a problem, some one got sick, someone had an emergency. These guys helped MB get to his room and into bed.

The team bus arrived at the Minnesota Dome at 12:15 PM. Everyone but MB was on the bus. BB knows what happened and is really pissed. MB wakes up late, grabs a cab to the stadium. BB and MB have a private meeting and BB determines that MB is not in condition at that time to play in an NFL Championship game and tells hium right there and then, you ain't playing today because your not in condition to do anything, let alone play professional football.

This is my take on what I think happened from the information that's been leaked out. Maybe in 10-12 years we'll get all of the actual facts.

There were reports right after the SB of a massive blowup by Malcolm in the locker room directed at a coach or coaches, the meeting you suggest may not have been entirely private, or at the least, MB aired the results of the meeting in front of everybody.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure any of it really matters at this point. But if what I read is true it's all on Butler, period.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll always be grateful for his heads up INT in that Super Bowl but I felt when they signed Gilmore Butler wasn't going to make it with the team much longer. When Butler was the number one guy they were throwing to the other side of the field but once he was the number two guy they were throwing right at him and making plays. A seemingly good guy with great effort but I think the Pats are gonna be just fine without him.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MB forever endeared himself to Patriots fans with his big play in the SB. That, at least so far, is the high point of his short career (about as high as you can get). Since then, his play has been, IMHO, steady but not spectacular. The fact that BB signed Gilmore for big bucks probably shows that he was not completely sold on MB as a #1 CB. During the 2017 season, MB looked bad at times, maybe because he was hurt about the Gilmore signing, or maybe because he had "peaked out" at the Seattle SB game, or maybe because he had gravitated down to the true level of his athletic ability. Remember, he was a UDFA and just barely made the team in his rookie season. Now he has a big contract with the Titans and, over the next few seasons, we should probably see if any of the above three scenarios are true. I wish him all the best. His was a "feel good" story and, hopefully, it will still have a happy ending.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing to me that any player would jeopardize their opportunity to play in the Super Bowl but it has happened more than once as we are all aware. You would think that this would be their dream and they wouldn't want to screw it up but maybe the pressure is too much?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MB forever endeared himself to Patriots fans with his big play in the SB. That, at least so far, is the high point of his short career (about as high as you can get). Since then, his play has been, IMHO, steady but not spectacular. The fact that BB signed Gilmore for big bucks probably shows that he was not completely sold on MB as a #1 CB. During the 2017 season, MB looked bad at times, maybe because he was hurt about the Gilmore signing, or maybe because he had "peaked out" at the Seattle SB game, or maybe because he had gravitated down to the true level of his athletic ability. Remember, he was a UDFA and just barely made the team in his rookie season. Now he has a big contract with the Titans and, over the next few seasons, we should probably see if any of the above three scenarios are true. I wish him all the best. His was a "feel good" story and, hopefully, it will still have a happy ending.
He's a Top Ten DB in IDP fantasy.

That's more than steady play.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah it’s terrible play. The only way CB’s rank highly in IDP is because they’re constantly having to tackle guys that are burning them for catches.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the game Logan Ryan had like 17 tackles? That was a bonanza for an IDP fantasy player but not even his mama would say he had a good game that day.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That can't be right...he had his second best fantasy point total of the season lolol