• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster already HOF-worthy?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those constant discussions. I still think, if he were to retire today, he would probably fall short. But this year has added to his resume. He is once again an elite bat, regardless of his position, and he is still playing GG-level D behind the dish.

I still fear the Joe Mauer comparisons, though. Mauer was a shoe-in HOFer as well. Until he wasn't.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those constant discussions. I still think, if he were to retire today, he would probably fall short. But this year has added to his resume. He is once again an elite bat, regardless of his position, and he is still playing GG-level D behind the dish.

I still fear the Joe Mauer comparisons, though. Mauer was a shoe-in HOFer as well. Until he wasn't.

The article said something interesting and potentially distressing, that Posey this year has gone from all time great pitch framer to very average. Hope it's like the rest of this year, a random shitshow and not permanent.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article said something interesting and potentially distressing, that Posey this year has gone from all time great pitch framer to very average. Hope it's like the rest of this year, a random shitshow and not permanent.
Is framing completely catcher-dependent, though? If you are catching a bunch of shit-show pitchers, wouldn't that have an effect on your framing?

I am actually asking. I don't really know how, exactly, "framing" is measured.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is framing completely catcher-dependent, though? If you are catching a bunch of shit-show pitchers, wouldn't that have an effect on your framing?

I am actually asking. I don't really know how, exactly, "framing" is measured.
eyeglasses_frames_chart.gif

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
calsnowskier said:
Don't go there...

I actually work in the optical industry. Shit like this will just make me feel like this site is work...
Whoops! Sorry about that cal. Do you want to delete that post?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there are generally accepted rules against trolling on team boards, but...

...y'all muhfuggers high as fuck.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster is second all time of catcher in OPS+ before their 30th birthday.

To me the HOF is for those that maintain close to that level throughout their career. So with Buster I would say lets see a few more years at his current level.

IMO Buster today is Hall of Very Good. Given a few more years at or close to his current level of play would make him a HOF.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster is second all time of catcher in OPS+ before their 30th birthday.

To me the HOF is for those that maintain close to that level throughout their career. So with Buster I would say lets see a few more years at his current level.

IMO Buster today is Hall of Very Good. Given a few more years at or close to his current level of play would make him a HOF.

I tend to agree, but did you read the link? They say if he stopped today he has like a 25-30% chance already.