• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buddy Hield

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Oden and Durant were can't miss talents. I'll give you Oden being no 1 because of size but both were supposed to be superstars. Durant held up his end of the bargain but Oden took the Bill Walton route. He stays healthy I think Durant has the better career but it isn't a stretch to see him being similar to Anthony Davis.

COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

Oden had NO TALENT. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH.

All he ever did was run down the court, and dunk on smaller players. He had NO post game. He was INCAPABLE of playing with his back to the basket.

All he had was height. That's it.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

All he ever did was run down the court, and dunk on smaller players. He had NO post game. He was INCAPABLE of playing with his back to the basket.

And yet he was a two time Gatorade player of the year in high school, the top rated player in his class according to Rivals, and the no 1 pick in the draft a year later.

He didn't meet expectations (who would have with the accolades he got by his 19th birthday) but he was more than just tall. I don't know your experience evaluating NBA talent but I'm assuming college and NBA scouts who thought he was a can't miss talent know more than a guy from the internet holding some odd decade old grudge.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

At the end of the day, as much skill as it takes to play basketball, it is a game that is dominated by height, and a freakishly tall person with freakish athleticism is still worth more than a little guy who has been playing his whole life (though Steph Curry is changing that).

To understand the value that Greg Oden had, you have to look at his before and after value.

Before the injury, he was the best #1 draft pick since LeBron. After, he could barely stay in the league as a benchwarmer.

When you have that athleticism and length at that height, you are automatic defense and rebounds. Then, all you need are a few simple post moves and you're an all star. It doesn't matter that you have no basketball IQ.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being tall is not a skill.

ALL he did was be bigger than his competition. He could barely dribble, had no shot beyond 2 feet from the basket, and was a hack machine on defense.

No talent whatsoever. I'm sorry you can't see that simply dunking on kids half your size does NOT a ball player make.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy who? :noidea:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting teams pretty much suck in domes.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeat: Buddy who?

Great, great story. Neat little run. Crumbled like cake when it counted. I wish him the best in recovering from this but he's clearly not ready for the NBA.

Sorry if this makes @Jack_John_Mark mad. Just the facts.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hield is a great player. But he's undersized for a SG at the next level. If he can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket he'll be a great NBA player with his shooting range.

That said, he's pretty much a late lottery pick if at all. Only the top 3 picks are lottery picks now, the rest of the top 14 are weighted. There's pretty much no chance he's drafted top 3. Top 10 most likely.

Your points are valid... But I still think he doesn't get past the kings.

Buddy IMO is maybe a JJ reddick type. He's not really a playmaker in the truest sense cause his ballhandling and passing are substandard (see his turnover rate).

But I love him as a rip Hamilton type role running over the floor for shots. Difference is buddy has that 3pt shot down.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think teams go wrong in drafting.

Unless you KNOW you can develop potential, it's pretty meaningless. I look for talent.....skills that will translate as soon as possible.

Take the draft when Greg Oden was drafted over Kevin Durant. Durant no question was more talented. Oden was just.....BIG. But that size doesn't really mean much if you have no other talent. Oden had no post moves, no shot, not even great defense. He was just bigger than any other players. Hell even Shawn Bradley got drafted PURELY on size......

Hield is a ready made player. ALL he needs is stronger handles to get to the rim.

This isn't really true, re: oden.

And he was a really promising player before his knees gave out.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Buddy on winning the Wooden. So proud of everything he's done for OU basketball.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Buddy on winning the Wooden. So proud of everything he's done for OU basketball.

I'll second that.
Heck of a player...great for OU/B12/College Hoops.

:suds:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy who?

:rolleyes:

@HammerDown

"Neat little run".........yea, neat little beastly season where he tore it up ALL fucking year long. There is a reason you win the Wooden Award and it isn't because of a little run.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, Buddy Hield just won the Heisman of College Basketball all because of a "tiny run" he went on. :pound:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy who?

My God we were making threads about this kid at the very start of the season. When he BEGAN tearing it the fuck up.

We need to stop showing kids how not to be good at something and start showing them guys like Buddy Hield who spent his Saturday's as a kid from 8am to 10pm shooting the fucking rock out in the drive way. It doesn't come easy. It comes with hard work, and a lot of times it first comes with a good role model.