• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buddy Hield

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think teams go wrong in drafting.

Unless you KNOW you can develop potential, it's pretty meaningless. I look for talent.....skills that will translate as soon as possible.

Take the draft when Greg Oden was drafted over Kevin Durant. Durant no question was more talented. Oden was just.....BIG. But that size doesn't really mean much if you have no other talent. Oden had no post moves, no shot, not even great defense. He was just bigger than any other players. Hell even Shawn Bradley got drafted PURELY on size......

Hield is a ready made player. ALL he needs is stronger handles to get to the rim.

I dont think that is particularly accurate. Oden's career was just derailed by injuries. I think the calculus in basketball is just different. It is really a game of stars. Spurs are the exception, but historically you win titles behind stars. SPURS run started with drafting Duncan, one of the all-time greats. This all makes sense as basketball has the smallest amount of players of any team sport, because one good player is 20% of your starters. Collection of good players doesnt get you to a title, so NBA GMs are looking for the high ceiling guy that can be a top 5 NBA player. You get him and then its easy to build a team around him. Its the same reason that GMs reach for QBs in the draft in football. The real isssue for the NBA is that kids dont stay long enough to allow them to judge if that potential will ever turn into production.

Last edited:

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where it all began for Buddy.
CevNdulUkAErX7H.jpg

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice player...but at the next level I see him as sort of another Jonny Flynn...only a bit taller.

no idea if he turns into a great pro or not, but I was wondering who was the last upperclassmen from a major school to become a top player? I was thinking Green, but he is more of a glue guy than a straight up star.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no idea if he turns into a great pro or not, but I was wondering who was the last upperclassmen from a major school to become a top player? I was thinking Green, but he is more of a glue guy than a straight up star.

As far as guards go.....Kemba Walker?

As a forward, maybe Kawhi Leonard...but he came out after his soph yr.

Last edited:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as guards go.....Kemba Walker?

As a forward, maybe Kawhi Leonard...but he came out after his soph yr.

Any position. I just cant think of any real difference maker that has come out as an upperclassmen. Couple nice pieces to a team, but nobody you would build a team around. I was just wondering who was the last difference maker to come out as a upper classmen. Duncan? (caveat being from a major)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any position. I just cant think of any real difference maker that has come out as an upperclassmen. Couple nice pieces to a team, but nobody you would build a team around. I was just wondering who was the last difference maker to come out as a upper classmen. Duncan? (caveat being from a major)

That's part of the problem...these kids don't stay in college any more with all the money they can make in the nba.

Good call on Timmy D....but that was a long time ago.

Damian Lillard was a nice pick by the Blazers a few yrs back.
A team can easily be built around him.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's part of the problem...these kids don't stay in college any more with all the money they can make in the nba.

Good call on Timmy D....but that was a long time ago.

Damian Lillard was a nice pick by the Blazers a few yrs back.
A team can easily be built around him.

I think Curry left as a Junior also, but both of them were from mid-majors and didnt get the hype that a P5 kid gets. They were forced to stay as 1 solid year didnt win over the scouts. That is why I threw in the caveat of a major. More interested now, because it seems crazy that it could be something like 10 years or more since an upperclassmen from a major went on to NBA stardom. You would think sheer numbers would have produced at least a couple

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Curry left as a Junior also, but both of them were from mid-majors and didnt get the hype that a P5 kid gets. They were forced to stay as 1 solid year didnt win over the scouts. That is why I threw in the caveat of a major. More interested now, because it seems crazy that it could be something like 10 years or more since an upperclassmen from a major went on to NBA stardom. You would think sheer numbers would have produced at least a couple

True....but to me the real and sad caveat is the "upperclassman" label.
That probably won't happen for a while, if it even happens at all any more.
Can't really blame that on the kids either.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draymond Green

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you consider junior's upperclassmen? If so Klay Thompson is a no brainer. Same with Reggie Jackson, Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Joakim Noah.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you consider junior's upperclassmen? If so Klay Thompson is a no brainer. Same with Reggie Jackson, Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Joakim Noah.

Klay would be the last. Thanks. I thought he left as a soph.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think teams go wrong in drafting.

Unless you KNOW you can develop potential, it's pretty meaningless. I look for talent.....skills that will translate as soon as possible.

Take the draft when Greg Oden was drafted over Kevin Durant. Durant no question was more talented. Oden was just.....BIG. But that size doesn't really mean much if you have no other talent. Oden had no post moves, no shot, not even great defense. He was just bigger than any other players. Hell even Shawn Bradley got drafted PURELY on size......

Hield is a ready made player. ALL he needs is stronger handles to get to the rim.

No. Oden and Durant were can't miss talents. I'll give you Oden being no 1 because of size but both were supposed to be superstars. Durant held up his end of the bargain but Oden took the Bill Walton route. He stays healthy I think Durant has the better career but it isn't a stretch to see him being similar to Anthony Davis.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, I think Hield ends up being a great shooter of the bench for somebody, but I'm not sure I ever see him as an mvp type player.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Oden and Durant were can't miss talents. I'll give you Oden being no 1 because of size but both were supposed to be superstars. Durant held up his end of the bargain but Oden took the Bill Walton route. He stays healthy I think Durant has the better career but it isn't a stretch to see him being similar to Anthony Davis.

Despite losing, Oden looked great in the National Title game against Florida in '07. His basketball career completely fell apart after that game.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jimmy Butler.