• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryan Price Back for 2017

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing says success like an average of 94 losses every year.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference right now. No used getting a new manager until they can be more competitive. They would just end up firing the new guy in a few years.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A manager can only do so much- and I don't know any great one's willing to take the Reds right now. (Maybe) The Reds are back into that incremental 4 game improvement thing, which if continues to next year, would take us back to about 2007....which was a team that hit some homers, couldn't pitch, and played mostly average defense while competing for the NLC cellar. Sound familiar ?

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a head scratcher for me too. I remember our resident dumbass dickshot talking Price up and how he was going to turn the Reds pitchers around. Seems to me like the while team has gotten worse collectively year over year while he has been there.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has become clear to me in the past few days that Price is nothing more than a stop-gap. Why go out and find another guy when the team is still not ready to compete? I don't think the Reds are thrilled with the list of potential candidates. Getting used to the idea the Reds aren't building around Billy Hamilton & Dilson Herrera anymore. This team will be built around Senzel & this next big draft pick. At least 3 more years of reasonable rebuild left. Actually, we can't really begin rebuilding until that $14M of BP's is off the books.

For the Reds right now, most important are the coaches at Triple-A & below.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has become clear to me in the past few days that Price is nothing more than a stop-gap. Why go out and find another guy when the team is still not ready to compete? I don't think the Reds are thrilled with the list of potential candidates. Getting used to the idea the Reds aren't building around Billy Hamilton & Dilson Herrera anymore. This team will be built around Senzel & this next big draft pick. At least 3 more years of reasonable rebuild left. Actually, we can't really begin rebuilding until that $14M of BP's is off the books.

For the Reds right now, most important are the coaches at Triple-A & below.
But weren't the Reds a pretty good team when Price got there? From a Cardinals fan standpoint he has torn that team apart.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But weren't the Reds a pretty good team when Price got there? From a Cardinals fan standpoint he has torn that team apart.
The front office tore the team apart. Made a grave mistake signing Bailey to such a big contract. And even though we love the guy, BP's $13-14M per has sandbagged the progress of the team.

But it is interesting... Traded away Chapman, Todd-Father before the season, Jay Bruce during the season, never really had Homer or Mesoraco on the field in 2016... Won 4 more games this year than last.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thay 100 million dollar deal. JD defending thay contract till the end of his existence. Doesn't BP have a chair in the decision room for player personnel?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that 4 pitching coaches turned the team into one with a staff ERA over 5.00, more than 250 HR and a record number of first-batter walks and HR allowed. You can't get there without trying to fail. When a guy (Strailly) off the waiver wire becomes the staff ace and an indy league castoff (Adleman) is a lock to make the rotation ... it would occur to me that re-signing this staff is an exercise in faith.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First pitching staff to post a negative WAR, I believe. Health of the top of roto was a big problem though. Bailey and Disco weren't ready for most of the season & it forced a lot of guys onto the mound who weren't ready.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot more than just waiting on current single A players to graduate to the Reds for this "rebuild" to take shape.

Walt Jocketty steps down to an advisory status this year, after financing a team with enough talent to make 3 post season appearances, albeit without winning a single series, even the (2) one-game varieties.

3 players, Joey Votto, BP and Homer Bailey now comprise 52% of the 25 man roster payroll, and that isn't going to change soon. Cueto, Chapman, Frazier, Leake, Bruce and even urgency allergic Dusty Baker were casualties of that math. So will every Reds player approaching $3M a year until the Reds either generate $50M a year more income they can add to payroll, or get MORE players making above MLB average off the current one.

This team can't afford more MLB talent than they currently have. They have to hope MLB minimum salaried rookies and MLB castoff discount players can hold them over until they once again have all the planets and players aligned for a 2-3 year run at post season, all at under $100M/ year payroll. It's like trying to predict the trajectory of a meteorite, and hit it with a bb gun.

This "rebuild" could take 100 years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The staff coming out of spring camp with so many injuries meant a lot of time in rehab instead of improving.
It also let Hoover and the 7 Dwarves pitch too much. I think it's clear what was wrong with the staff but it's not clear that attempts to fix it are being addressed by people who know how.
I see some bright spots all around and I think we are likely to pay attention to how the rest of the division rosters up this winter. I can see an 80-win season for the Reds and I can see another 90-loss season.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This "rebuild" could take 100 years"

I hope not 1507, but it doesn't look good.

At least us older folks saw the Reds win 3 WS, and maybe one of the best teams ever assembled

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ancient history perhaps but most of the 1990 Atlanta pitching staff was either in place or was about to be in place. Adding Maddox later on mattered, yes ... but Smoltz and Glavine were hardly world beaters in 90.

Not sure what that means.

Just pointing it out. Those guys were all very young at the time.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta was a good team and should have won more WS's in the 90's.

I wonder how many games the Big Reds machine would have won if they had that pitching staff the Braves had in the 90's

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching ... with the BRM .... gotta wonder.
Sparky managed differently than Cox.