• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bronx bombers visit Rangers 05/21-05/23

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the results look like when it is the coaches' fault in JD's mind?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the results look like when it is the coaches' fault in JD's mind?

Not sure JD cares about win results this year. The challenge given to Banny and staff was to bridge communications with younger players, create a teaching environment and showcase/sift through young guys to see who is usable in the future.

Throughout all this my concern is to make sure some who are left remember what a winning culture is and be able to recreate it.
This is where Beltre and Hamels have value although Hamels is probably gone.

Does this jive with your thinking?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresh off of being named the Carolina League pitcher of the week, Edgar Arredondo tossed 5.1 innings of shutout ball last night for Down East. He struck out 7 while walking 2 and giving up 4 hits. That brought his ERA down to 2.32.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure JD cares about win results this year. The challenge given to Banny and staff was to bridge communications with younger players, create a teaching environment and showcase/sift through young guys to see who is usable in the future.

Throughout all this my concern is to make sure some who are left remember what a winning culture is and be able to recreate it.

I wasn't really referring to wins wither. Although, not even I thought our record was going to be this bad in ST. I am mainly referring to individual players struggling for prolonged periods. Now, that does affect wins and losses so in a round-a-bout way I guess I was referring to wins and losses.

I am less interested in a winning culture than I am in individual players knowing how to play their best and in them being motivated to do so. You get enough talent and you teach the young guys how to achieve their potential and winning will take care of itself. Once that happens the culture will be there.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I the only one who thinks Banny sucks?

Look at our fielding since Ron Washington left. We have gotten worse in that department over the years. I’m not a fan of our hitting coach either.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks Banny sucks?

Look at our fielding since Ron Washington left. We have gotten worse in that department over the years. I’m not a fan of our hitting coach either.
I am not sure as a fan what to want them to do with Banny. He certainly has some weaknesses. My question is, who will replace him? It isn't that I think there aren't guys available who could do better. I just know that the same GM who thought Ron Washington was a great manager will be the same guy finding a new manager. Maybe we are better off sticking with what we have as long as JD is here.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure as a fan what to want them to do with Banny. He certainly has some weaknesses. My question is, who will replace him? It isn't that I think there aren't guys available who could do better. I just know that the same GM who thought Ron Washington was a great manager will be the same guy finding a new manager. Maybe we are better off sticking with what we have as long as JD is here.

So do you think they should not extend JD. If so, who do you want and more interesting who would you want to manage.

I thought Wash was a great teaching manager, great 3rd base coach but way too sentimental with lineups and biased against young players

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think they should not extend JD. If so, who do you want and more interesting who would you want to manage.

I thought Wash was a great teaching manager, great 3rd base coach but way too sentimental with lineups and biased against young players
I didn't say that.

I feel the same way about him as I do Banny. I don't know that I trust ownership to be able to find someone better than JD. I also don't know how many of JD's perceived shortcomings might disappear under the right ownership.

If we ever get better ownership it wouldn't surprise me if JD became a better GM and Banny looked better too. It also wouldn't surprise me if we got better ownership that they could find a better GM and that GM could find a better manager. There are too many unknowns to definitively say JD should not be brought back.

If any other fans want JD fired then I do think they have the right to that opinion without knowing who they would replace him with. There are too many folks within the inner workings of baseball that we don't know about for that to be a requirement in order to have that opinion. Those who think JD is doing a great job may think those disagreeing have to have a replacement in mind, but the truth is none of those who think JD is doing a great job called for JD to replace John Hart before it happened. Therefore, how do they know that maybe another JD or maybe another couple of dozen JD types are out there. I would imagine that there are some potentially fantastic GM candidates working on teams somewhere that none of us knows about.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD needs to show some clear progress or sense of direction in rebuilding this team. Starting..... in about..... 8 weeks or so.

We should expect at least 3 trades that ship off veteran players for assets to restock the farm. I don’t care what the market is, we need to make deals aimed towards the future and it needs to happen now.

Mazara and Elvis might be the only guys Currently on the team that I’d want on the field 5 years from now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is burden for Rangers' struggles on Jeff Banister? Here's what Jon Daniels thinks

"Coaches have to create an environment for the players to execute in,'' Daniels said. "Coaches lay out a plan and challenge the player in a way, get through to the players in a way, to get the most out of them.

"At the end of the day, it's up to players to go out and execute."

Daniels did not cite specific players, but the numbers reflect the struggles of young hitters. The Rangers opened the series against the Yankees leading the majors in strikeouts, next-to-last in average and 24th in runs per game.
It has always been up to the players to execute. But in the end it is the managers and coaches get fired as well as GM's. We lost 3 games to the White Sox who coming into the series against us had 10 wins. Even with the injuries I have a hard time with results like that.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that.

I feel the same way about him as I do Banny. I don't know that I trust ownership to be able to find someone better than JD. I also don't know how many of JD's perceived shortcomings might disappear under the right ownership.

If we ever get better ownership it wouldn't surprise me if JD became a better GM and Banny looked better too. It also wouldn't surprise me if we got better ownership that they could find a better GM and that GM could find a better manager. There are too many unknowns to definitively say JD should not be brought back.

If any other fans want JD fired then I do think they have the right to that opinion without knowing who they would replace him with. There are too many folks within the inner workings of baseball that we don't know about for that to be a requirement in order to have that opinion. Those who think JD is doing a great job may think those disagreeing have to have a replacement in mind, but the truth is none of those who think JD is doing a great job called for JD to replace John Hart before it happened. Therefore, how do they know that maybe another JD or maybe another couple of dozen JD types are out there. I would imagine that there are some potentially fantastic GM candidates working on teams somewhere that none of us knows about.

Haha I was baiting you a bit. You do walk the tightrope re JD and yes I think ownership tightened the purse a bit.

Of course I am a big JD fan but that has a lot to be how bad a system we had years before he came. I can't park on who built th farm and international market as it is now open to others. I think they have a better Far East presence than most.

But you may be right in that there is hidden GM talent out there that I have no clue. There absolutely comes a time when a new voice is needed but think we are in a definite transition with new stadium and JD leash extends to 2 years beyond that.

I do realize that although Landry was an institution, the game passed him by and we needed to get J Johnson. Perhaps a crude analogy but it may apply at some point. Ideally there is some young guy who can raise through the ranks and take over. Likely JD become president only in not too distant a future. This is the more likely scenario

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I was baiting you a bit. You do walk the tightrope re JD and yes I think ownership tightened the purse a bit.

Of course I am a big JD fan but that has a lot to be how bad a system we had years before he came. I can't park on who built th farm and international market as it is now open to others. I think they have a better Far East presence than most.

But you may be right in that there is hidden GM talent out there that I have no clue. There absolutely comes a time when a new voice is needed but think we are in a definite transition with new stadium and JD leash extends to 2 years beyond that.

I do realize that although Landry was an institution, the game passed him by and we needed to get J Johnson. Perhaps a crude analogy but it may apply at some point. Ideally there is some young guy who can raise through the ranks and take over. Likely JD become president only in not too distant a future. This is the more likely scenario
Now, don't bad mouth Landry or you really will get me started. lol

I think Tom would have figured it out again, but that is for another board.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, don't bad mouth Landry or you really will get me started. lol

I think Tom would have figured it out again, but that is for another board.

Hey probably the only Cowboy jersey I have worth keeping is the Staubach one. Ha

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD needs to show some clear progress or sense of direction in rebuilding this team. Starting..... in about..... 8 weeks or so.

We should expect at least 3 trades that ship off veteran players for assets to restock the farm. I don’t care what the market is, we need to make deals aimed towards the future and it needs to happen now.

Mazara and Elvis might be the only guys Currently on the team that I’d want on the field 5 years from now.
would not be surprised if it isn't more than 3 trades. the ones I expect are Hamels and Beltre but wouldn't be surprised to see Colon, Chavez, Kela, Diekman and even Fister to go. positional players could include Chirinos.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would not be surprised if it isn't more than 3 trades. the ones I expect are Hamels and Beltre but wouldn't be surprised to see Colon, Chavez, Kela, Diekman and even Fister to go. positional players could include Chirinos.

I sticking with 'Beltre will be extremely difficult to move, regardless of price.' And I can't imagine anyone wanting Chirinos.

But the others you mention make total sense.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sticking with 'Beltre will be extremely difficult to move, regardless of price.' And I can't imagine anyone wanting Chirinos.

But the others you mention make total sense.
While I agree with you on Beltra I can think of at least 2 teams that could take a flyer on him: Boston and Atlanta. And some team in need of a catcher like Minnesota could look at Chirinos as the fill-in they need to finish the season after losing their starting catcher for the rest of the season

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you on Beltra I can think of at least 2 teams that could take a flyer on him: Boston and Atlanta. And some team in need of a catcher like Minnesota could look at Chirinos as the fill-in they need to finish the season after losing their starting catcher for the rest of the season
Good point on Chirinos

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you on Beltra I can think of at least 2 teams that could take a flyer on him: Boston and Atlanta.

Problem is, Beltre will be one of several 3rd basemen available. Hitzges mentioned two specifically yesterday - actually I think he listed 3 but I can't remember the 3rd one - and that being Machado and Donaldson. Althought Machado wants to play SS, I bet if he thought he could get a ring by agreeing to a contender, he make that move for the rest of the year. Tronto definitely wants to get something for Donaldson