• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos to host Jamal Charles

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign him up John. He has juice when right.
McCoy wants his Danny Woodhead.
The goal is to put pressure up the middle of the field against the LBers to open up the wide outs.
Low risk high reward
Jamal "Mr. Glass" Charles... :D

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamal "Mr. Glass" Charles... :D

Well going to hope he is like the glass on the space shuttle that is almost unbreakable. Just one year is all we need.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well going to hope he is like the glass on the space shuttle that is almost unbreakable. Just one year is all we need.

Maybe you shouldn't use a simile with a retired space craft attribute for Charles. ;)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really find it hard to understand any negativity with Charles signing. Only ones I've seen make snide comments is Chief fans and a few here. It ain't costing nothing to maybe get a pro bowl season from him. If not, big deal.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Charles isn't in a situation where we are gonna expect him to carry the ball 20 times a game. If his knee can hold up, great, if not then really we aren't counting on him to be our dawg anyway. He is sorta a bonus right now if you ask me. I felt last year with all his swelling and issues that he was near the end, but I am more then happy to see him get a shot here to see if he can bounce back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeah and since he is a Bronco now lets get it right.

Jamaal Charles, not Jamal. :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one with one "r" that one with two "A's" Ok - getting it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Charles isn't in a situation where we are gonna expect him to carry the ball 20 times a game. If his knee can hold up, great, if not then really we aren't counting on him to be our dawg anyway. He is sorta a bonus right now if you ask me. I felt last year with all his swelling and issues that he was near the end, but I am more then happy to see him get a shot here to see if he can bounce back.

At $900,000 yeah definitely worth the risk. I mean to sign a player with the potential of JamAAl for Vet Minimum is down right impressive. Plus he sounds very motivated to stick it to the Chiefs for letting him go.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At $900,000 yeah definitely worth the risk. I mean to sign a player with the potential of JamAAl for Vet Minimum is down right impressive. Plus he sounds very motivated to stick it to the Chiefs for letting him go.
I expect this to go as well as it did for Brandon Flowers in San Diego :dhd:

Certainly not bad for a May FA. Screams done to me but you never totally know; just don't make him lose the YPC or that would actually annoy me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect this to go as well as it did for Brandon Flowers in San Diego :dhd:

Certainly not bad for a May FA. Screams done to me but you never totally know; just don't make him lose the YPC or that would actually annoy me.

As I've said from the beginning the odds of him being like his old self are against him. Same with Lynch playing for the Raiders. But these are 2 of the best to suit up in recent history so if anybody can surprise people with a comeback it would be 1 of those 2.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are 50/50 Jamal doesn't make it out of training camp.
His knees may say I've had enough even thought every other part of his body is a go

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard somewhere his knee didn't heal from two surgeries ago, thus the swelling and inability to run well. Then the last surgery things went much better, and he feels much better.

Knees are a funny thing (I know), but if he's a 3rd down guy or change of pace and breaks a big one every once in a while, it was a good signing.

If not, no big deal.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first part of every lie is true.

We know what Charles has done in his career and I think we can surely say we know he is motivated to perform this season. He has the right contract for this situation. Even if his knee goes - the young backs get some side by side instruction from an all pro - on how to conduct business -what to look for on the field. If the Broncos get some kind of D. Ware value out of him - it might be as important as his on field contribution in 2017.
The veteran player part - should also help the young QBs. There is only upside to this deal. I love me some Jamaal Charles.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the signing. It can't hurt and the upside is huge. The Broncos won't need him to be the feature back the way he was for the Chiefs for so long. Hopefully that'll help him last longer into the season. A guy his age with his injury history is definitely a concern, but there's a platoon of viable RBs on the roster now and Charles has his place in the rotation for sure.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at it as a bonus. I have my doubts his knee will ever be healthy again but if he can give us 7-10 carries a game, great! If not, then no biggie. Right now I am not counting on him. I see him as a bonus. My expectations are low my hope is mild.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus we get an inside look at the Chiefs offense?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Charles now on the roster, we have CJ Anderson, Charles, Booker, and the rookie Henderson, and Thompson. My guess is Thompson doesn't make the team. Now with CJ and Charles, there are consistency and injury problems. In Charles case, he's one of the best to ever do it, but injuries and age now had a lot of teams pass on him. Still, the top 2 talents at the position are by no means a sure thing.

Then we have Booker, who I think can be good but he's going to have to make a significant jump from last year to this year. And of course, unless Henderson shows something special in camp, I highly doubt he'll be much of a factor unless injuries give him his shot.

I'd love to see this group be able to piece together a viable running game. I think we have the pieces for it to be adequate, both at RB and on the O-line now. I also think the ground game is going to be secondary to the passing game, somewhere like a 62-38 split. I suggest this because McCoy schemes to the strength of his players and I think we have the pieces to be stronger in the passing game than on the ground. If this is the case, both CJ and Charles can both be options in the passing game.

I like the outlook I've seen here from Broncos fans regarding Charles: cautious optimism. I also like that a lot of the readers over on AP are convinced we signed him just to spite the Chiefs. Others fear Dorsey made a huge mistake by cutting him. Consider this: Peyton Manning equalled in 4 years what he achieved in 14 with the Colts, and he'll be remembered almost equally for his time with the Broncos (recency bias combined with his insane production for 3 years plus a SB win in the 4th). Demarcus Ware played most of his career with the Cowboys, but the longtime Cowboys great's best moment in the league came with the Broncos. These are two players whose legacy with one team the Broncos essentially co-opted to make a legacy of their own. Both of these players were great anyway, but it took the Broncos to put the exclamation point on their legacies as players.

I can't help but wonder...how awesome would it be to do that to the Chiefs with Jamaal Charles? One good year with the Broncos won't erase the memory of 9 seasons with the Chiefs, some of them really good. But let's face it: the Kansas City Chiefs haven't done anything really noteworthy during Charles' tenure with them. But what if the Broncos do? And what if Charles is a big part of that success? What if Charles taking in for a game winning TD in the SB becomes an iconic image?

It's fun to think about.