• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian VanGorder

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good. I like what he's done with the defense and think he's a much better defensive coordinator than Bob Diaco. I honestly never was that impressed with Diaco's scheme but so far I think VanGorder needs a tip of the cap for a job well done. Uncle Rico knows defense.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VanGorder has been great he's really gotten the most out of a young defense that is missing one of it's best players in Russell (second only behind Smith).

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To lose players like Tuitt , Nix , Russell and Williams and still have a strong defense tells me a lot about the coordinator. Hopefully we get some good news on some of the suspended players. I am not counting on it but trying to remain hopeful.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far so good. I like what he's done with the defense and think he's a much better defensive coordinator than Bob Diaco. I honestly never was that impressed with Diaco's scheme but so far I think VanGorder needs a tip of the cap for a job well done. Uncle Rico knows defense.

I agree 100%. Diaco had the players and mature(leaders) of players. Brian is doing this with a young team with out his best CB and after 2 of the best D linemen went to the NFL oh yeah and a walk on starting at MLB. Im afraid that he leaves after this year thats how good he has been.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. Diaco had the players and mature(leaders) of players. Brian is doing this with a young team with out his best CB and after 2 of the best D linemen went to the NFL oh yeah and a walk on starting at MLB. Im afraid that he leaves after this year thats how good he has been.

I think he will stick around at least a few years to see where he can take this defense. His players are all young and could end up being great.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaco had a lot of positive qualities. He had youthful energy. I think the players really enjoyed playing for him and he could motivate them really well. I think his recruiting was a mixed bag. We all know about the late night visit to Ishaq Williams' house to head off his visit to Penn St. I believe he was with Kelly to flip Tuitt back from Ga. Tech too. On the other hand, I think his recruiting misses, especially the last year before he took the UConn job, showed either a lack of effort or he had his sights set on a HC job after the accolades he got in 2012. There were some comments from some of the recruiting targets that were put off by him, but who knows if those were the real reasons why those recruits didn't commit.

What really bothered me was his conservative approach and at times inability to adjust. The Navy debacle in 2010 was largely on his shoulders IMO, he was unprepared and didn't adjust, and his post-game interview comments made him sound like he was in way over his head. He aquitted himself fine in 2012, but that was largely due to the roster he had. He was able to get away with bend don't break. In 2013, with key injuries and loss of a consensus AA LB to anchor the middle of the field, it fell apart and he didn't adjust well. The Champs Sports Bowl loss to FSU was another example of my frustration with him. He was aggressive in the first half and it worked well. Played much more vanilla in the second half and let the Noles back into the game. With an ineffective offense, we paid the price.

What amazes me about VanGorder is that he was able to take the guys that were built for Diaco's 3-4 and convert them, with untested freshmen, into a speedy 4-3 aggressive defense, which is almost night and day to Diaco's guys. Unfortunately, guys like Ben Councell and Doug Randolph are finding a difficult spot on the roster, now too big to play LB, too small to play DE, but what they've accomplished so far has been impressive. Another year of Diaco and I fear we would have been playing very soft defense and would have been picked apart by teams like Syracuse and Purdue, with their screens and dink and dunk passes over the middle and flat. Now we charge at those plays and shut them down.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaco had a lot of positive qualities. He had youthful energy. I think the players really enjoyed playing for him and he could motivate them really well. I think his recruiting was a mixed bag. We all know about the late night visit to Ishaq Williams' house to head off his visit to Penn St. I believe he was with Kelly to flip Tuitt back from Ga. Tech too. On the other hand, I think his recruiting misses, especially the last year before he took the UConn job, showed either a lack of effort or he had his sights set on a HC job after the accolades he got in 2012. There were some comments from some of the recruiting targets that were put off by him, but who knows if those were the real reasons why those recruits didn't commit.

What really bothered me was his conservative approach and at times inability to adjust. The Navy debacle in 2010 was largely on his shoulders IMO, he was unprepared and didn't adjust, and his post-game interview comments made him sound like he was in way over his head. He aquitted himself fine in 2012, but that was largely due to the roster he had. He was able to get away with bend don't break. In 2013, with key injuries and loss of a consensus AA LB to anchor the middle of the field, it fell apart and he didn't adjust well. The Champs Sports Bowl loss to FSU was another example of my frustration with him. He was aggressive in the first half and it worked well. Played much more vanilla in the second half and let the Noles back into the game. With an ineffective offense, we paid the price.

What amazes me about VanGorder is that he was able to take the guys that were built for Diaco's 3-4 and convert them, with untested freshmen, into a speedy 4-3 aggressive defense, which is almost night and day to Diaco's guys. Unfortunately, guys like Ben Councell and Doug Randolph are finding a difficult spot on the roster, now too big to play LB, too small to play DE, but what they've accomplished so far has been impressive. Another year of Diaco and I fear we would have been playing very soft defense and would have been picked apart by teams like Syracuse and Purdue, with their screens and dink and dunk passes over the middle and flat. Now we charge at those plays and shut them down.

Yes Diaco recruiting was a positive. We don't know how Brian is doing in recruiting. I don't think he is one of the main recruiters.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Diaco recruiting was a positive. We don't know how Brian is doing in recruiting. I don't think he is one of the main recruiters.

I liked Diaco, obviously his defense was key to our success in 2012, but I don't think his recruiting was ever a strength. I haven't seen or heard anything about VanGorder's ability as a recruiter, but just the fist pump alone should convince one or two defensive players to come to ND.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Diaco, obviously his defense was key to our success in 2012, but I don't think his recruiting was ever a strength. I haven't seen or heard anything about VanGorder's ability as a recruiter, but just the fist pump alone should convince one or two defensive players to come to ND.

Diaco was a good recruiter for us. Someone posted some examples. Diaco was one of the Top 5 on the staff.

I did hear that the recruits like Brian and love the scheme he runs so that is a positive.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would he leave after one year???? :noidea:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he leave after one year???? :noidea:

To become a DC in the NFL. Why wouldn't he go back if he was offered. trust me I hope he stays for 3-4 years but usually coaches that come from the NFL usually go back.