• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Urlacher says the Bears are plagued by the “Lovie Smith curse”

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article pop up as I was surfing around online. Do any of you Near fans think this way or is Urlacher suffering from to many concussions?

“The Lovie Smith Curse” to be exact.

In an interview with Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney on CBS Sports Radio, Urlacher cited the departure of Smith after the 2012 season as the point where things began to awry for the Bears. He also said he’s wondered what exactly the team is doing with their decisions this offseason.

Mitchell Trubisky). I don’t know what (they’re doing). It’s confusing.”" data-reactid="22">“The guy’s a winner. I love playing for him. I don’t know what the identity of that team is. They sign (Mike) Glennon, then they draft a kid No. 2 (Mitchell Trubisky). I don’t know what (they’re doing). It’s confusing.”

The Bears have certainly struggled since Smith was fired following the 2012 season. They haven’t posted a winning record in any of the four seasons since and are on their second head coach since then as well. The 3-13 record last season was the worst by a Bears team since the schedule expanded to 16 games in 1978.

Chicago made the playoffs three times during Smith’s tenure, including a Super Bowl appearance in 2006. The 10-6 season posted by the Bears in 2012 was the fourth-best record in nine years under Smith. Nevertheless, Emery decided to change course after the year.

Urlacher also defended former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and said he was just as surprised as anyone by Cutler’s decision to move into the broadcast booth instead of continuing his career. He also said he hopes Trubisky is as good as his draft position would tend to suggest.

“I hope this kid is unbelievable,” Urlacher said. “I hope Mitch Trubisky is the best quarterback of all time. He looks like a stud. He’s 6-2, 6-3, put together, good-looking kid, he seems really nice – I hope they do really well. Their defense is going to be good this year. They were good last year and they had so many young guys play that it’s only going to help them this year.”

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my feelings about Lovie were that, as Denny Green once so eloquently put it, "We were who we were.". Frankly it got stale.

I was one who certainly wanted to move beyond the great defense, shitty offense model and try something else, because it just seemed like we were spinning wheels under Lovie...

I'd like a more offense-centric model like the Packers have had for a couple of decades now. Obviously it isn't that hampered by cold weather. I liked the IDEA of Trestman. It just didn't quite work out there.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urlacher has shown his distain for almost all things Bears since his forced retirement. He's always been bitter and hasn't been afraid to voice his opinions- as neanderthal and meatbally as they are.

I get that he, personally, had huge success with Lovie. Good for him. I do think he always had a warped sense of what the team was when he played for them. It was ALWAYS an US vs THEM mentality with Urlacher. Meaning- It's Defense VS Offense. I never got the impression that he really cared all that much about the offensive side of the ball, except to piss on it when it, "Put them in bad field position" He would frequently make excuses for HIS defense... and his role in that defense when it faltered.

Lovie made the playoffs 3 of 9 seasons. Only making it ONCE in the last 6 years. This is why he was fired. Not many NFL HC's get 9 seasons. It was time to move on. They moved on to crap...but it was still time to move on.
Drafting, injuries and coaching has doomed the Bears...not curses.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urlacher's pride/ego is still miffed at the way he was unceremoniously dismissed.

I think most Bears fans accepted that Lovie had done what he could, and that it was time to try something else. Trestman sucked. Emery sucked. We are still rebuilding from that, so...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BU should see the plan better then anyone. Were looking for that QB we never had. The one position that left BU without a ring.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BU should see the plan better then anyone. Were looking for that QB we never had. The one position that left BU without a ring.

Ha... he could have had a ring if he stopped the Colts from rushing for 190 yards. But yeah... that one position.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was Urlacher screaming at on the sidelines the second half of the superbowl when they would not adjust to Mannings adjustments?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emery was shit.

This is basically all that needs to be said.

Phil Emery is 100% the person to blame for what has transpired since 2012.

This season is literally the first year we have officially just about washed our hands of the hole he put us in. We're finally moving on from the Cutler contract. Willie Young and Kyle Long are literally the only two things I think we can thank him for. Everything else... that man can hop in a lake.

Say what you want about what they're doing now, but I for one am happy that this year is finally the beginning of something new. Since Lovie left, it's felt like we were still holding onto those years. The last two, we've still been dealing with leftovers of what Emery stuck us with. Cutler and Gould still here... but everyone else long gone. It was like when half of a band quits, and they keep touring under the same name. Just an empty shell of what we once were, but still holding onto it.

The Cutler era is over. We're onto new beginnings, and just that alone is better than the shit we've been stuck in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha... he could have had a ring if he stopped the Colts from rushing for 190 yards. But yeah... that one position.

The defense certainly deserves some of the blame in that game. However, you can also blame Ron Turner for a lot of that. Nobody knows why we didn't stick on the ground more with Jones, who had a great night. He elected to pass, and it resulted in a horrific discrepancy in time of possession. Which was also obviously contributed to by the defense. However, it was both of those things. Not just one. Rex's pick six also obviously being the key play of the game.

People also kind of forget that we nearly went right back down the field after the INT, and Dez Clark dropped a key 3rd down pass that would have had us in the red zone. Down 12 with a good amount of clock left.

Eh well... whatever. I have the rest of my life to rehash that game over a thousand more times. No sense in diving back into it now.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urlacher's pride/ego is still miffed at the way he was unceremoniously dismissed.

He has become completely intolerable since he departed. My god dude... get over it. You were done, you had a great career... You're not owed anything more than what you were given. It's not like anybody else wanted you too badly either.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears are cursed but it is by Aaron Rodgers. He needs to retire.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears are cursed but it is by Aaron Rodgers. He needs to retire.

I am not familiar with a life that does not include Green Bay having a HOF QB. It's absurd... This run needs to end. God, is it going to be refreshing to see them struggling like the rest of the league at that position, finally.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Urlacher needs to stay retired and shut the fuck up. He's been bashing the Bears ever since he retired and it's not because "he cares and wants to see the Bears be better". What an asshole this guy is.

Check this out. Urlacher wants to fight everyone smaller than him until he runs into a guy who can kick his ass then he cowers like a bitch.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not familiar with a life that does not include Green Bay having a HOF QB. It's absurd... This run needs to end. God, is it going to be refreshing to see them struggling like the rest of the league at that position, finally.

Too young to remember the Lynn Dickey era? :D

Ah those were the days...

I have always said that we should do to Rodgers what Charles Martin did to Jim McMahon, but at this point we may as well let Rodgers finish his career and remain honorable.

Now, if another Favre/Rodgers type QB comes along in Green Bay, then time for full-on Martin...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too young to remember the Lynn Dickey era? :D

Ah those were the days...

I have always said that we should do to Rodgers what Charles Martin did to Jim McMahon, but at this point we may as well let Rodgers finish his career and remain honorable.

Now, if another Favre/Rodgers type QB comes along in Green Bay, then time for full-on Martin...

If they get a third HOF QB in a row. Forget pulling a Charles Martin. I'll be pulling a Chester Bennington. Later!