• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Kelly being Brian Kelly

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's world it has become a heaving crap shoot when you hire anyone. The Internet changed everything with so much information now being widely available. 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I read that someplace. But a sinner better believe the truth will eventually bite them in the butt if they are not honest with people up front.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything's an open books these days, might as well invite them in.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol ... Rodger Sherman confirming what Domers have known for years ... and bitched about. Still do.

#BK:Throw'emUnderDaBus

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Kelly insults his players. That is not a good article.

I will have to agree, Notre Dame will have a losing record in 2016. If I was a player, I would get sick of his insults.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Kelly insults his players. That is not a good article.

I will have to agree, Notre Dame will have a losing record in 2016. If I was a player, I would get sick of his insults.

He's been insulting them for years. I'm surprised he can pull in the recruits he does based on how he treats them. Since Kelly has been at ND, they have put many more players in the NFL than the previous decade.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see of ND pulls the trigger on Kelly this year or if they give him another season. If they do it this year, they're going to be competing with some pretty big name schools for coaching candidates.

I'm actually surprised at how poorly he's done there. I just looked it up and he's only had two 10+ win seasons at ND and he's only had one season with fewer than 3 losses. Add in this year and he's been doing downright bad. Based on their remaining schedule ND will be lucky to win two more games. What's funny is that I remember watching his press conference at ND when he was hired and I was so jealous of them, we were right in the middle of the RR fiasco and couldn't believe they made such a good coaching move. Funny how that's turned out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see of ND pulls the trigger on Kelly this year or if they give him another season. If they do it this year, they're going to be competing with some pretty big name schools for coaching candidates.

I'm actually surprised at how poorly he's done there. I just looked it up and he's only had two 10+ win seasons at ND and he's only had one season with fewer than 3 losses. Add in this year and he's been doing downright bad. Based on their remaining schedule ND will be lucky to win two more games. What's funny is that I remember watching his press conference at ND when he was hired and I was so jealous of them, we were right in the middle of the RR fiasco and couldn't believe they made such a good coaching move. Funny how that's turned out.

I'm indifferent either way with what ND does. If they fire him, I'd be okay with it, if they kept him another year I'd be okay with it.

I think he's actually done pretty well at ND. He's won 68% of his games, which is way better than what ND was doing prior to him getting there. ND will never be able to be what they were in their history, even when Holtz had it going really great. We're essentially a 9 win program now, which is what he averaged his first 6 seasons.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm indifferent either way with what ND does. If they fire him, I'd be okay with it, if they kept him another year I'd be okay with it.

I think he's actually done pretty well at ND. He's won 68% of his games, which is way better than what ND was doing prior to him getting there. ND will never be able to be what they were in their history, even when Holtz had it going really great. We're essentially a 9 win program now, which is what he averaged his first 6 seasons.

ND will keep Brian Kelly at least one more year--he just signed a healthy extension. Because of his relatively strong position, I wonder if Kelly is letting ND fans, alums, and administration feel the pain so he can convince them that the University needs to change some policies that impede the football program. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND will keep Brian Kelly at least one more year--he just signed a healthy extension. Because of his relatively strong position, I wonder if Kelly is letting ND fans, alums, and administration feel the pain so he can convince them that the University needs to change some policies that impede the football program. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

If you're implying ND will let dumbasses into school for football, its not going to happen.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, I think you're selling the team short. If ND only wins two more games (which seems lucky at this point) Kelly will be averaging about 8.4 wins per year. That's not good enough. ND has been recruiting top notch classes, there's no reason ND should have had three 8 win seasons under Kelly. Look at these recruiting class ranks: 15, 13, 11, 5, 18, 9 -- there's no reason, with proper coaching, that those recruiting ranks shouldn't translate directly into actual rankings. ND should be a top 15 team every year, not one that struggles to go to a bowl or win 10 games.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's used up his goodwill. Also I disagree that 9 win seasons will be acceptable going forward. They certainly have been for most of his tenure. At least the school, not to the fanbase. The school's been monetizing the football program for too long without demanding results.

That hopefully is about to change given that the school invested $400 million for the campus crossroads project. Who the hell is going to pay for those luxury boxes to watch 9-4 football.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I think you're selling the team short. If ND only wins two more games (which seems lucky at this point) Kelly will be averaging about 8.4 wins per year. That's not good enough. ND has been recruiting top notch classes, there's no reason ND should have had three 8 win seasons under Kelly. Look at these recruiting class ranks: 15, 13, 11, 5, 18, 9 -- there's no reason, with proper coaching, that those recruiting ranks shouldn't translate directly into actual rankings. ND should be a top 15 team every year, not one that struggles to go to a bowl or win 10 games.

This has been an awful year, but I'll take what Kelly has done in his tenure, which was averaging 9 wins a season. He's finished in the top 20 in half his seasons. It's not realistic to expect ND to be annual top 10 team. He can't reload like Ohio State/Bama/Clemson because the fact is the players aren't as good.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're implying ND will let dumbasses into school for football, its not going to happen.

I'm not implying any such thing. I think Michigan and Wisconsin have also shown an unwillingness to compromise the integrity of their universities even though promising recruits have had to be cut loose. I am on the record as saying that I would rather see a "for sale" sign on Michigan Stadium than make such a compromise. But, I wonder if Kelly is letting fans, alums, and administration feel the pain of this decision purposefully. Hasn't he expressed his disdain for what he sees as ND's more restrictive policies?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's used up his goodwill. Also I disagree that 9 win seasons will be acceptable going forward. They certainly have been for most of his tenure. At least the school, not to the fanbase. The school's been monetizing the football program for too long without demanding results.

That hopefully is about to change given that the school invested $400 million for the campus crossroads project. Who the hell is going to pay for those luxury boxes to watch 9-4 football.

Kelly has essentially put ND in the position the last 6 years of that of a top 15 program, which I'll take. This year has been awful, no doubt, and I never really liked the way he handled himself, which was fine when ND was winning, but won't be if he keeps having seasons like this.

ND just isn't going to be able to consistently win 10/11 games a year. We can occasionally have a really great season(2012) but consistently doing that is something of the past IMO. Last time ND had consecutive 10 win seasons was 1992 and 1993. We aren't OSU/Bama/Clemson.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school had given Kelly almost everything he's wanted. The only thing the school hasn't wavered on is the academic requirements. Even matters of discipline aren't as draconian as they were even 10 years ago.

Kelly's main gripe with academics has been what he thinks is a lack of academic support. I don't know exactly what he thinks that entails (like UNC with fake classes, grad ass'ts that do their homework for them, or real honest to goodness support).

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school had given Kelly almost everything he's wanted. The only thing the school hasn't wavered on is the academic requirements. Even matters of discipline aren't as draconian as they were even 10 years ago.

Kelly's main gripe with academics has been what he thinks is a lack of academic support. I don't know exactly what he thinks that entails (like UNC with fake classes, grad ass'ts that do their homework for them, or real honest to goodness support).

Interesting. I'm sure that ND has the usual and legitimate supports in place its athletes.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly has essentially put ND in the position the last 6 years of that of a top 15 program, which I'll take. This year has been awful, no doubt, and I never really liked the way he handled himself, which was fine when ND was winning, but won't be if he keeps having seasons like this.

ND just isn't going to be able to consistently win 10/11 games a year. We can occasionally have a really great season(2012) but consistently doing that is something of the past IMO. Last time ND had consecutive 10 win seasons was 1992 and 1993. We aren't OSU/Bama/Clemson.
Well if you're happy with mediocrity because you don't think consistent greatness is unattainable, then the school needs to stop charging an arm and a leg for games. They should give up their NBC deal (if I was a Comcast investor, I'd demand more of a return on that investment), and they should stop pretending they are what they once was.

I dunno. With that kind of attitude might as well go the way of the Ivies. Can only trade on past glory for so long.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I'm sure that ND has the usual and legitimate supports in place its athletes.
They do as far as I know. But with the frozen five he made comments to the effect that the school doesn't do enough to protect the "at risk" players (read: the ones that barely got in). He never elaborated on that comment.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You had players caught smokin weed and with a gun in the car. Pretty much says ND is letting dumbasses into school.
I think Kellys players like his coaching but have little respect for him as a man. Even back in the Manti days he was throwing all of Charlies players under the bus. Which had Teo saying he plays for his brothers in response.If we know he's been doing this they know he's been doing this.

Last edited: