• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING: Chris Holtmann signs 8 year deal to coach Ohio State

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great hire for Ohio State. It's a little weird to me why they didn't go after him before McDermott, but in the end I think they got the better guy. It'll be interesting to see if he can recruit at Ohio State. But he does have a good track record of taking under recruited guys and turning them into impact players in college. He's also good at working in transfers into the program. Something Ohio State will desperately need for next season. But it may be too late at this point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great hire for Ohio State. It's a little weird to me why they didn't go after him before McDermott, but in the end I think they got the better guy. It'll be interesting to see if he can recruit at Ohio State. But he does have a good track record of taking under recruited guys and turning them into impact players in college. He's also good at working in transfers into the program. Something Ohio State will desperately need for next season. But it may be too late at this point.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if the McDermott situation may have gotten blown out of proportions in regards to his offer. He said there were discussions but never mentioned being formally offered. Holtmann is a far better option so I'm thrilled.

I think this year is going to be rough but it's OK. This hire was about 2018 and beyond.

Reactions: gob

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. That is big. Shoot.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if the McDermott situation may have gotten blown out of proportions in regards to his offer. He said there were discussions but never mentioned being formally offered. Holtmann is a far better option so I'm thrilled.

I think this year is going to be rough but it's OK. This hire was about 2018 and beyond.

I agree, it will be rough this year, but, I think he'll get more out this team for next season, than what Matta would have gotten. His teams at Butler were not all that talented, and he took them to the S16 last year. This buckeye team will have some experienced players in Williams, Tate, Bates Diop and CJ Jackson, so there's a core there to work with. Wouldn't surprise me if Ohio State pulled off an upset or two in non conference play, he seemed like he was good for about 2 of those per year. I will be interested to see who he gets on his staff.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it will be rough this year, but, I think he'll get more out this team for next season, than what Matta would have gotten. His teams at Butler were not all that talented, and he took them to the S16 last year. This buckeye team will have some experienced players in Williams, Tate, Bates Diop and CJ Jackson, so there's a core there to work with. Wouldn't surprise me if Ohio State pulled off an upset or two in non conference play, he seemed like he was good for about 2 of those per year. I will be interested to see who he gets on his staff.

This year is a wash, but I think Holtmann can at least make them watchable, having about zero depth anywhere is going to make it hard to win many games though.

18-19 can be optimistic if he gets in and recruits well. Pete Nance and Dwayne Cohill are both top 100 rated players nationally who are in Ohio that are still very much on the board, getting those 2 would be an awesome start. Along with maybe Marcus Bingham from Michigan, who was favoring Butler, bring him along too and that would be a great start.

Definitely think Holtmann is the "right guy" for the the job though.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good hire.

What I'm wondering (and BTW, Butler should give extra kudos to OSU for f@cking them over so late in the game) is if Butler's 2017 kids can't still decommit and go to OSU. They have a good class coming in. Not quite the type of kids who could be immediate stars at OSU, but 4 year guys. Their top recruit is from Ohio and was actually being recruited by Matta.

Big blow for Butler and the Big East if that happens.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good hire.

What I'm wondering (and BTW, Butler should give extra kudos to OSU for f@cking them over so late in the game) is if Butler's 2017 kids can't still decommit and go to OSU. They have a good class coming in. Not quite the type of kids who could be immediate stars at OSU, but 4 year guys.

Big blow for Butler and the Big East if that happens.

Kyle Young would probably be an immediate contributor if he was able to follow Holtmann to OSU. Hell considering our total lack of depth, anyone who came on would at least play some right off the bat.

Kyle Young, Jackson, Small Forward

I wouldn't count on it happening though. Guessing Butler would not so easily let him out of his letter of intent.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Young would probably be an immediate contributor if he was able to follow Holtmann to OSU. Hell considering our total lack of depth, anyone who came on would at least play some right off the bat.

Kyle Young, Jackson, Small Forward

I wouldn't count on it happening though. Guessing Butler would not so easily let him out of his letter of intent.

I always thought that if the coach who recruits you leaves, that voids the LOI.

Technically the kids who Matta recruited could leave too I think.

But like I said, it's so late in the game.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that if the coach who recruits you leaves, that voids the LOI.

Technically the kids who Matta recruited could leave too I think.

But like I said, it's so late in the game.

I'm not sure exactly how it works. It would be nice to have Young though. We aren't going to be good this year no matter what, but he would be a solid part of the building block for the next 3 or so seasons.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Thad Matta was a huge win for OSU?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Thad Matta was a huge win for OSU?

He was from 2004-2013

I respect everything Thad did, he is the best coach in program history and restored a lot of passion in Ohio State basketball, it sucks how everything went south so fast and ended on a bad note, but it was definitely time to part ways.

Reactions: gob

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtmann is a great hire for Ohio State. I had heard an interview by Gary Parrish of CBS Sports say that Gene Smith wanted to interview several applicants and choose a coach later after meeting with several guys, etc. etc. Then the McDermott offer was declined and Parrish made it sound like Ohio State was floundering. Kudos to Gene Smith.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, OSU is back now. Maybe the BIG will have 9 tournament teams this year now with Northwestern, Purdue, OSU, Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota. OSU hasn't been relevant in what 4 or 5 years now. Hopefully they can start making the sweet 16 again.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, OSU is back now. Maybe the BIG will have 9 tournament teams this year now with Northwestern, Purdue, OSU, Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota. OSU hasn't been relevant in what 4 or 5 years now. Hopefully they can start making the sweet 16 again.
Not this year...If we make it in 2019, I'd be surprised. I think this is a great hire, though.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year...If we make it in 2019, I'd be surprised. I think this is a great hire, though.

There's still some talent out there, and some recruits that could follow Holtmann to OSU. Next season won't be stellar, but who knows what will happen between now and then and what fresh coaching might do for our current roster.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They offered Holtmann 6 year deal and he turned them down. He had a deal with Xavier for the next 8 years and I guess the security of that deal wasn't outweighed by the bump in salary.

Then, the whole debacle with McDermott went down (thank goodness he turned down the job, and please don't give me the bs about OSU not offering him the job).

Smith went back to Holtmann and upped the deal to 8 years.

A little perspective:

Urban Meyer took over Ohio State football after they went 6-7, went 12-0 and was screwed out of a chance for a conference title and maybe even a ncg shot against ND because of Smith's incompetence. Meyer got a an extension for 6 years out of that.

8 years seems like a bit of desperation to me. I hope Holtmann is a great coach for the Buckeyes. Considering the circumstances (Thad pushed this on Smith much more than the other way around, btw) it looks like it may turn out ok.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio has some pretty good talent in the 18 class. If Holtmann can get it done in that department alone we could realistically be back in the tourney in the 18-19 season.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They offered Holtmann 6 year deal and he turned them down. He had a deal with Xavier for the next 8 years and I guess the security of that deal wasn't outweighed by the bump in salary.

Then, the whole debacle with McDermott went down (thank goodness he turned down the job, and please don't give me the bs about OSU not offering him the job).

Smith went back to Holtmann and upped the deal to 8 years.

A little perspective:

Urban Meyer took over Ohio State football after they went 6-7, went 12-0 and was screwed out of a chance for a conference title and maybe even a ncg shot against ND because of Smith's incompetence. Meyer got a an extension for 6 years out of that.

8 years seems like a bit of desperation to me. I hope Holtmann is a great coach for the Buckeyes. Considering the circumstances (Thad pushed this on Smith much more than the other way around, btw) it looks like it may turn out ok.

I don't think it was "desperation"

Realistically the deal waa going to have to be pretty sweet and secure for anyone that wasnt a lesser known small school coach.

Smith had pretty much zero leverage on any negotiation here due to the timing and the current situation of the program.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was "desperation"

Realistically the deal waa going to have to be pretty sweet and secure for anyone that wasnt a lesser known small school coach.

Smith had pretty much zero leverage on any negotiation here due to the timing and the current situation of the program.
Zero leverage imho leads to desperation. 8 years for a guy with this resume is ridiculous.