• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Phillips blocked a trade to Atlanta in November

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life is about leverage so its not shocking at all to see that he is (still) being an asshat.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the reason, Phillips has the right to do what he wants...regardless of how bad it hurts the Reds' future.

Another year of BP at 2B doesn't set the Reds back all that much. Either way, BP isn't going to send the Reds any deeper into the cellar than they were.

But clearly the Braves were at least agreeable to discussing the deal or Phillips would not have been contacted to see if he would give permission.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another year of BP at 2B doesn't set the Reds back all that much. Either way, BP isn't going to send the Reds any deeper into the cellar than they were.

But clearly the Braves were at least agreeable to discussing the deal or Phillips would not have been contacted to see if he would give permission.

Phillips value will continue to decline. Looks like the Reds will just have to let him play out his contract now and get zero in return.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips value will continue to decline. Looks like the Reds will just have to let him play out his contract now and get zero in return.

They already have gotten max value for the guy in the 11 or so years he's been with them. At some point, the value isn't in the future but in what he has meant to the team. As a Reds fan, I haven't had much trouble cheering for him.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already have gotten max value for the guy in the 11 or so years he's been with them. At some point, the value isn't in the future but in what he has meant to the team. As a Reds fan, I haven't had much trouble cheering for him.

Exactly, he's been a very fine player for a long time, let him go out on his own terms.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that it was a somewhat abnormally good year for the position, but for last year I get about 108ish for the OPS+ at 2B across the league. So that 94 is looking even less exciting.
The league wRC+ for 2nd basemen in 2016 was 101. That ranks 13th among years at the position and it's the only post-1930 year in the top 30. 2008 was the closest (34th) and the league wRC+ for 2B was 95.

That's pretty insane.

edit: the league wRC+ for 2B in 1992 was 96, which ranks 31st. 5 points in wRC+ is pretty big though.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips is probably the 2nd and maybe the most popular player on the team as far as the fans go. The fans love him and he loves the fans. Why would he leave to go to another crappy situation? It makes no sense for him at all. Him blocking the trade to the Nats confused me a little because they are at least competitors, but maybe his relationship with Dusty wasn't what we all thought it was. Only way I see him leaving is if he get traded to a team that could win it all this year and is likely given the ability to block a trade to somewhere he doesn't want to go. I don't blame him at all for that.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

I think Braves' fans are happy he blocked the trade and Reds' fans seem happy he will probably end his career as a Red.

Everyone wins!

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

I think Braves' fans are happy he blocked the trade and Reds' fans seem happy he will probably end his career as a Red.

Everyone wins!
I can't imagine the Reds were getting anything of huge value back for him, so I'd rather just keep him, he can help mentor and teach Peraza at 2B if that is where they want him to play. We have some other MIF who could use his guidance like Blandino and Herrera. I'm not sure that Alfredo Rodriguez isn't the SS of the future and not Peraza personally, with Perazas ability to play all over. He could be used like Jose Ramirez was.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story is back on the front burner.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"@BNightengale The Brandon Phillips trade is complete, and he's now the new #Braves 2B"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves gave him a no-trade clause. That is what I suspect made him turn down the trade last time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds got some minor league roster fodder though the lefty seems to have a bit of upside. Off of TJ, nobody knows. I don't really much care about these pitchers. I think what happens with Cozart now defines the Reds middle infield. I like Phillips, always did ... he's a human face on the game, like him or not. I wish everybody could do what they do and enjoy it like he does.

I guess the injury to Rodriguez was what turned the Braves into dealers.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damnit.

I guess it's not so bad. This is the last year he's under contract, and the Reds are paying all but 1 million of it, and Andrew McKirahan is an average middle reliever at best, and I've never heard of the other prospect that was sent to Cincinnati.

But I guess this means that Ozzie Albies is another year away.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Phillips - 2B - Braves
Braves acquired 2B Brandon Phillips and cash from the Reds in exchange for LHP Andrew McKirahan and RHP Carlos Portuondo.

The Reds are paying all but $1 million that's owed to Phillips and are receiving two non-prospects in return, so this is just about moving on and giving an opportunity to Jose Peraza and perhaps Dilson Herrera. From the Braves' perspective, they gave up next-to-nothing and got a solid second baseman following Sean Rodriguez's shoulder injury. ESPN's Buster Olney hears that the Braves are likely to bat Phillips sixth in their lineup.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's not so bad. This is the last year he's under contract, and the Reds are paying all but 1 million of it, and Andrew McKirahan is an average middle reliever at best, and I've never heard of the other prospect that was sent to Cincinnati.

But I guess this means that Ozzie Albies is another year away.

As he should be. Batted .248/.307/.351 in AAA. Obviously he was *very* young for AAA, but there's no reason to rush him. It's not like the Braves are going to be any good anyway.

Trade provides the Braves with good depth with Sean Rodriguez looking to be out for a long time. I didn't realize the car accident was that serious.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are paying all but $1 million that's owed to Phillips and are receiving two non-prospects in return, so this is just about moving on and giving an opportunity to Jose Peraza and perhaps Dilson Herrera. From the Braves' perspective, they gave up next-to-nothing and got a solid second baseman following Sean Rodriguez's shoulder injury. ESPN's Buster Olney hears that the Braves are likely to bat Phillips sixth in their lineup.

A very excellent assessment of what happened.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he should be. Batted .248/.307/.351 in AAA. Obviously he was *very* young for AAA, but there's no reason to rush him. It's not like the Braves are going to be any good anyway.

Trade provides the Braves with good depth with Sean Rodriguez looking to be out for a long time. I didn't realize the car accident was that serious.

True on Albies, but I think the Braves can be competitive this year, probably another year away from contending, but I don't think .500 is out of the question. That second half last season better not have been a big ass tease anyways.