• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Phillips blocked a trade to Atlanta in November

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems like a nice enough guy...bit of an asshat, but not a thug. This screams of spite to me. He wasn't happy about his last contract negotiation. He's not a good player anymore...his contract is guaranteed. I don't get it. Have fun on the bench, Brandon. And, ATL...you dodged a bullet.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears he is blocking trades to punish the Reds after his tantrum a couple of years ago over his contract.
I don't think that's the case, really. He probably sees historical sense in finishing out his career in Cincy. Probably has a higher opinion of his fan base than outsiders do. Seems like the Reds want to do something they were too dumb to do originally, so i can't really blame BP for vetoing these deals.
To be honest, even in decline, BP is better at 2B than Peraza, though long-term, Peraza is a better all-around player. I can't evaluate Herrera.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the surface, this like a spite-move, but for argument, let's look at BPs pov...

Sure, he grew up in Atlanta and was reportedly a Braves fan as a kid. But he was only able to block the trade due to his 10/5 status. If he were to accept the trade, he would then lose his 10/5 exception and the braves would be able to flip him wherever they wanted to. I read somewhere that he had some unknown demands of the receiving team if he were to be traded. I would assume that a no-trade clause would have been at least part of his requirement if he were to be traded.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, he grew up in Atlanta and was reportedly a Braves fan as a kid. But he was only able to block the trade due to his 10/5 status. If he were to accept the trade, he would then lose his 10/5 exception and the braves would be able to flip him wherever they wanted to. I read somewhere that he had some unknown demands of the receiving team if he were to be traded. I would assume that a no-trade clause would have been at least part of his requirement if he were to be traded.

Informative take. Look at some of the great players in history who finished their careers as members of 3 or 4 organizations at the end. Gotta go out with a scratch of dignity. I think the Reds will treat him well after his career is over.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reads like someone who wants to stay with the Reds, can't fault him for that.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh Phillips numbers last year were pretty much the same as his career averages. I wouldn't want to go to the Braves either.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Informative take. Look at some of the great players in history who finished their careers as members of 3 or 4 organizations at the end. Gotta go out with a scratch of dignity. I think the Reds will treat him well after his career is over.

That's often because they're kicked to the curb by their team because they aren't that good anymore and need to bounce around to bad teams to get any playing time.

The Reds made the move to sign a Phillips on the wrong side of 30 to a 6 year deal...that's on them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reads like someone who wants to stay with the Reds, can't fault him for that.

We tend to forget that players sometimes find the city where they live to be better than places they'd rather not be. I could envision that with Phillips. Fans are hard to measure. Unloading his contract is not going to turn this team into a contender this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh Phillips numbers last year were pretty much the same as his career averages. I wouldn't want to go to the Braves either.
A 94 OPS+ is roughly average for a 2B, and UZR/DRS had him pegged as a below average defender in 2016.

He's been a pretty average player for a while now.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 94 OPS+ is roughly average for a 2B, and UZR/DRS had him pegged as a below average defender in 2016.

Yepper

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BP is a highlight reel defender. Adequate overall, makes spectacular plays and nearly all the plays expected of a big-league 2B. As for league average, it's ... let's not forget ... the Reds, a team I have followed for decades. To be "league average" is not a bad thing when you have the 3rd worst bullpen in big-league history.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he's overpaid. But a league average 2B can still be a useful player.

Not really sure why the Braves want him though.

But not moving him or Cozart makes it hard for the Reds to really start the rebuild.

I really thought Cozart woudl be gone by now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But not moving him or Cozart makes it hard for the Reds to really start the rebuild.

Rebuilds are weird. Unless the Reds find at least 2 more top-end starters, not much is going to work. And by top-end, that's relative to the rest of the division/league. Currently having 3 guys who are really more like mid-level rotation guys than aces, I don't think a team like the Braves is going to help them much. Atlanta needs the pitchers worse than Cincy does. Gotta wonder what sort of trade was being proposed for Phillips.

Cozart: I could see a blockbuster there if it was 'back in the day.' The Reds can't afford that sort of player in return now, so gotta wonder what sort of return that would yield. If it was me, I'd sign the guy for a couple more years and wait till 2018 to unload Phillips. Cincy isn't worse off with those guys in the middle. Peraza can play outfield 3 days a week.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuilds are weird. Unless the Reds find at least 2 more top-end starters, not much is going to work. And by top-end, that's relative to the rest of the division/league. Currently having 3 guys who are really more like mid-level rotation guys than aces, I don't think a team like the Braves is going to help them much. Atlanta needs the pitchers worse than Cincy does. Gotta wonder what sort of trade was being proposed for Phillips.

Cozart: I could see a blockbuster there if it was 'back in the day.' The Reds can't afford that sort of player in return now, so gotta wonder what sort of return that would yield. If it was me, I'd sign the guy for a couple more years and wait till 2018 to unload Phillips. Cincy isn't worse off with those guys in the middle. Peraza can play outfield 3 days a week.

I want to see what Peraza can do at SS.

Frankly I'd trade Cozart and bench Phillips at this point and play the young kids up the middle.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I'd trade Cozart and bench Phillips at this point and play the young kids up the middle.

I have no real argument with that but it bears noting that the whole of the Reds roster is that:

a. it doesn't hit very well (Votto excluded)
b. there is no bullpen.

That leaves (c.) which means adding two rookies to the lineup doesn't generally bode well for offense in a ballpark where scoring runs is almost a prerequisite.

We know Peraza can hit and run well, but I don't know if he's a defensive replacement yet for Cozart.

The key there might be with Dillson Herrera, who hasn't had much of a look. He'd play 2B if he makes the 25-man roster and I don't know for sure if that's going to happen this spring.

IF Hamilton gets on base, Schebler is as good or better than Bruce and Duvall isn't a one-time wonder, maybe I'd go with 2 kids up the middle. Mesoraco still hasn't shown he can play but he'd add offense.

Suarez is very lame at 3B.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know that it was a somewhat abnormally good year for the position, but for last year I get about 108ish for the OPS+ at 2B across the league. So that 94 is looking even less exciting.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves are up and coming. Reds are heading the other way..

I am happy the Braves didn't get him.

He must really dislike Reds' management as he is clearly doing his part to stand in the way of a rebuild. Votto's contract will be impossible to move as well.

Whatever the reason, Phillips has the right to do what he wants...regardless of how bad it hurts the Reds' future.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves are up and coming. Reds are heading the other way..

Perhaps, but given that he only has one year left on his deal and the Braves likely aren't competing in 2017, he'd just be going from one losing situation to another (so there wouldn't be any appeal there unless it was a boyhood dream to play for the Braves or something).

Also not sure why the Braves would want him :noidea:

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but given that he only has one year left on his deal and the Braves likely aren't competing in 2017, he'd just be going from one losing situation to another (so there wouldn't be any appeal there unless it was a boyhood dream to play for the Braves or something).

Also not sure why the Braves would want him :noidea:

Me either. Especially with Albies coming.