• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brad Underwood to the Illini

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can tell the AD is an insufferable prick (not uncommon knowledge BTW) and he kinda said fuck it I'm out.
Isnt he the AD who seems to never like Gundy, yet Gundy continues to win and win and win.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, they beat us in Morgantown this year.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isnt he the AD who seems to never like Gundy, yet Gundy continues to win and win and win.

Yep. Underwood pulled a real bullshit move today (Admin and most players found out about it on Twitter) but this is on the AD

Edit-guess there was a short meeting with players before the news broke.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe he is leaving (his alma mater) Okie St for Illinois. But hey, $$$ talks

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State is also clearly the second most popular program in a small football state. There are two big cities, both of which have a somewhat major team in the area. It's not a very good job. Eddie Sutton did well cause he's a great coach, and Ford almost certainly recruited well by bending the rule book. As much history as Oklahoma State has, it's still at best the 6th best job in a tiny conference.

Illinois is the clear most popular program in Downstate Illinois. Downstate Illinois is the same population as all of Oklahoma and is more into basketball. Even without the potential to do well in Chicago, it's a much more appealing job.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word before the hire was that Illinois was willing to pay 5 years for $25 mil. Underwood was also an assistant at Western Illinois for 11 years. I am looking to see if he is able to keep the recruits that Groce had coming in. Some nice talent coming in. Great hire.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois is a lot better job than OKST. It's a badketball school in a much better recruiting area in a much better league ( historically ). Illinois is a top 25 all time program. No brainer move

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois is a lot better job than OKST. It's a badketball school in a much better recruiting area in a much better league ( historically ). Illinois is a top 25 all time program. No brainer move

I don't know man Osu has a couple of national titles and recruits texas pretty hard. They have a great basketball fan base. Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton are legendary coaches as well.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man Osu has a couple of national titles and recruits texas pretty hard. They have a great basketball fan base. Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton are legendary coaches as well.
OKST is a very good program but it's just easier to win at Illinois. Kansaa has a stranglehold on the B12.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKST is a very good program but it's just easier to win at Illinois. Kansaa has a stranglehold on the B12.

Obviously Bill Self won at both places but then again Bruce Weber wasn't very good at Illinois or Kansas St.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd lean that Illinois is the slightly better job as well. Which makes it all the more remarkable what Sutton did at Okie St. Between 1960 and 1990 Okie St only went to TWO NCAA tournaments. That's a staggering low number. Sutton turned them around immediately. But I just think Illinois has the potential to better than Okie St. does. I will forever wonder what Illinois would have looked like had Roy not left for UNC and Self left for Kansas. Illinois hiring Weber after Self was a big mistake. I don't particularly think Weber is all that good of a coach.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd lean that Illinois is the slightly better job as well. Which makes it all the more remarkable what Sutton did at Okie St. Between 1960 and 1990 Okie St only went to TWO NCAA tournaments. That's a staggering low number. Sutton turned them around immediately. But I just think Illinois has the potential to better than Okie St. does. I will forever wonder what Illinois would have looked like had Roy not left for UNC and Self left for Kansas. Illinois hiring Weber after Self was a big mistake. I don't particularly think Weber is all that good of a coach.

I wonder where we would be right now if Eddie hadn't relapsed and Sean didn't share the same demons. When he took over we were coming off final four and sweet 16 seasons and had the top class in the nation coming in. But he couldn't stay sober and we spent 7 years in the wilderness with Ford. I know I am biased but the way the program was trending before Sean couldn't handle his addiction could have made us elite.

All that being said, you wanna watch a fan base completely lose it's shit? Any other program and I'd think the meltdown is hilarious. This really sucks though-can't decide if I want Underwood to fall on his ass there because fuck that guy or do really well early so it can force the regents hands on the AD.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the fall out has started with the Illini recruits. At first it looked like all of Groce's recruits would stay but...last week East St. Louis player Jeremiah Tillman, 6'11", ask for his release. Yesterday Javon Pickett from Bellville, Il did the same. Illinois had arguably th best recruiting class in the B1G, but now Underwood has his work cut out for him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him, be good to see the Illini back in the NCAA's.