• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BP gone?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some reports that the Reds have cut a trade with the Braves.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds get some fodder for the minor league teams.

Carlos Portuondo and Andrew McKirahan were traded to the Reds on Sunday in exchange for Brandon Phillips, Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Portuondo logged 10 innings in a relief role at Triple-A Gwinnett last season, but as a 29-year-old who has yet to debut in the majors, his development isn't worth tracking.

The left-handed McKirahan missed all of last season while recovering from Tommy John surgery and was outrighted off the Braves' 40-man roster in October.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year of contract, and the Reds had conversations with BP about part time duty to get Peraza and Dilson Herrera more time...so BP decided to waive his no-trade...and the bottom line was, they ate his salary to unload him for two minor leaguers to be released later. Kinda reminds me of the Sean Casey dump. ATL is no contender either, but he may play enough to get a FA look this offseason...nowhere close to the figure he signed for with the Reds...you know, that "slap in the face" $72M...

BP was the best Reds 2b since Joe Morgan, not to compare a HOF to BP. Sad he had to go in such a fashion.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose BP's contributions in Atlanta will be in his attitude, though I've always heard mixed reports on that. Since Mat Latos didn't comment on it, it must not have been much of a problem.

All that this does, moving forward, is to eliminate one more piece of hate out of St. Louis. Whatever will those mountain boys have to boo now?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is getting ready to open a new ballpark up in Cobb County, so they're trying to pretend to be contenders in 2017. They've acquired a few past prime names trying to boost advance ticket sales. Good kuck with that the 2nd half.

BP was undoubtedly one of the most popular Reds' players the past 30 years. I was never a big fan of his personality, but I'm in the minority I suppose.

A good player that gave a good effort everyday on the field and to the fans when off of the field. Fans will miss him and I'm sure he'll get a nice ovation when Atlanta comes to town.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BP smiles for fans and traded twitter banter, but was a mixed bag in the clubhouse. No doubt, the trade wasn't about winning, it was about PT and believe it or not, PR...PT- obviously more for Peraza, but to give BP a chance at full time PT in a walk year...and PR, contrary to expected initial negative fan reaction to his trade, would have been worse if they had to listen to BP's bitching in the clubhouse and in media all year about being on a losing club sharing time with other players, and how the Reds screwed him (again). Still liable to hear some media poison from him- normal...Concepcion and Larkin both cried no loyalty when the Reds offer them after their play couldn't match their pay.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, the Reds would have gotten a better package back in November (I don't know who was included).

Decent move for the Braves as Ozzie isn't quite ready yet and Rodriguez is out for the year. May be able to deal him to a contender as a bench piece (with his limited no-trade clause) at trade deadline.

Reds pickup 13 million of his salary, but clear space for their youngsters.

Useful deal for both teams I guess. I hope BP plays a little better in the field this year, but I am not counting on it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Useful deal for both teams I guess. I hope BP plays a little better in the field this year, but I am not counting on it.
He played in a lot of pain last year. I'd assume he's past that.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly, the Reds would have gotten a better package back in November (I don't know who was included).

Decent move for the Braves as Ozzie isn't quite ready yet and Rodriguez is out for the year. May be able to deal him to a contender as a bench piece (with his limited no-trade clause) at trade deadline.

Reds pickup 13 million of his salary, but clear space for their youngsters.

I understand why we had to deal BP...we're "rebuilding". Most of the time, my definition of rebuilding must not be the same as the Reds front office. Not sure why we ate pretty much the entire remaining contract and only got 2 guys who probably will only fill spots in AAA or AA. But anyways...I still think, for a little while longer, BP will still be a pretty solid player both offensively and defensively. He's starting to age a little and commit more errors but for every error he made last season, he had just as many "wow, how'd he do that" plays. He still is batting close to .300 although his power numbers have diminished. As long as he doesn't become a locker room liability, you guys did pretty well on this one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the deal is that the front office can move forward on some other contracts that had to be clogging the bases. They can at least evaluate the younger guys now and maybe look ahead to extending their contracts, though I don't think contract extensions are high on Williams' list.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt BP always played when injured. But I'd assume there's some age related production decline in the offing that may offset good health.

Other than providing an everyday position for Jose Peraza the move didn't provide much for the Reds. Paying $13M of the remaining $14M to unload him doesn't help the payroll this season or beyond.

I'd agree with the 1507 post concerning the clubhouse discourse over playing time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than providing an everyday position for Jose Peraza the move didn't provide much for the Reds. Paying $13M of the remaining $14M to unload him doesn't help the payroll this season or beyond.

For sure, they were gonna have to pay the money in any event but I think the chance to evaluate Peraza and Herrera will give the FO a chance to see if they are really big-leaguers or just guys you unload in 2 years before they start the arb process. Peraza had to work to make this club. Now that he's on it, does he work that hard to stay there?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, if Swanson works out as a 2 hitter, behind Inciarte and in front of Freeman and Kemp, BP might actually be a productive 5 or 6 hitter for the Braves. If Swanson doesn't hit, BP could slide right into that 2 hole. I am not suggesting he is an All-Star this year, but with a better lineup than the Reds around him, I think .280/12HR/75 RBI isn't out of reason, if BP plays 140+ games.