• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boxing or MMA?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which fighter would be considered more athletic? Boxing or MMA? Which is more reputable?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of these questions can even begin to be answered objectively. However, after watching that Pac vs Horn fight I have lost about all respect for professional boxing at that level.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sports are "skill" sports in that superior athleticism helps, but us not as vital as technique. Boxing requires you to be extraordinary at one skill set, MMA requires you to be strong in many different styles and techniques
I think Conor McGregor will certainly lose to Mayweather, but he could make it very entertaining for a few rounds. Conor will be far bigger than any opponent Floyd has ever faced. Conor is used to getting hit by bigger guys wearing 4 ounce gloves. Floyd is no power puncher, he's smaller and wearing 10 ounce gloves, so if I'm Conor, I don't worry about training for twelve rounds. I'd go with a frenetic pace for 4-5 rounds. Conor is used to five minute rounds, and I think he could blitz Floyd for a few rounds and try to knock him out, and likely lose after gassing out in the middle rounds by TKO.
On the other hand, if Floyd fought Conor in the UFC, there's nothing that I think Floyd could do to survive a five minute round against Conor. He would be destroyed in a round

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sports are "skill" sports in that superior athleticism helps, but us not as vital as technique. Boxing requires you to be extraordinary at one skill set, MMA requires you to be strong in many different styles and techniques
I think Conor McGregor will certainly lose to Mayweather, but he could make it very entertaining for a few rounds. Conor will be far bigger than any opponent Floyd has ever faced. Conor is used to getting hit by bigger guys wearing 4 ounce gloves. Floyd is no power puncher, he's smaller and wearing 10 ounce gloves, so if I'm Conor, I don't worry about training for twelve rounds. I'd go with a frenetic pace for 4-5 rounds. Conor is used to five minute rounds, and I think he could blitz Floyd for a few rounds and try to knock him out, and likely lose after gassing out in the middle rounds by TKO.
On the other hand, if Floyd fought Conor in the UFC, there's nothing that I think Floyd could do to survive a five minute round against Conor. He would be destroyed in a round

Admittedly I have a bias towards boxing even though I've long since stop being a hardcore boxing fan...the corruption just became too transparent to ignore. I'm late to the party on MMA, and just never developed much interest in it, but I respect their talent.

I've pushed back on one of your points I've highlighted in bold. In boxing that one skill set covers a pretty wide range of things. Punching obviously, footwork, endurance, and defense...especially after you've taken a punch you need to recover from.

I listen to the afternoon drive sportstalk show in town...both hosts are big fight fans, they're normally at most of the big fights, and they are pretty knowledgeable about MMA. They agree with you if this contest was under MMA rules Floyd would not stand a chance to win.

Under boxing rules, they feel Floyd will frustrate Conor...much like Ray Leonard did Hagler...he's not going to try to knock him out, just out point him...it will be a fairly boring fight that Mayweather will win. I'm kind of leaning this way too.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly I have a bias towards boxing even though I've long since stop being a hardcore boxing fan...the corruption just became too transparent to ignore. I'm late to the party on MMA, and just never developed much interest in it, but I respect their talent.

I've pushed back on one of your points I've highlighted in bold. In boxing that one skill set covers a pretty wide range of things. Punching obviously, footwork, endurance, and defense...especially after you've taken a punch you need to recover from.

I listen to the afternoon drive sportstalk show in town...both hosts are big fight fans, they're normally at most of the big fights, and they are pretty knowledgeable about MMA. They agree with you if this contest was under MMA rules Floyd would not stand a chance to win.

Under boxing rules, they feel Floyd will frustrate Conor...much like Ray Leonard did Hagler...he's not going to try to knock him out, just out point him...it will be a fairly boring fight that Mayweather will win. I'm kind of leaning this way too.
Yeah, as a boxer your skill set is more than just punching, it's footwork, slipping, feinting, tying up, chin down, using your shoulders to protect your chin, spacing, range...I only meant that as a boxer, you only had to know how to box(which encompasses all those skills). In MMA, not only do you need at least a moderate level of boxing skills, but also, BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, TKD, etc.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate when people ask who's more athletic. It's such a loaded question.

Who's more athletic?
search

Or
search

Ones an Olympic gold medalist and multiple time world champion who is again dominating his sport. The other tried and failed to even play professionally.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends which fighters you're comparing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as a boxer your skill set is more than just punching, it's footwork, slipping, feinting, tying up, chin down, using your shoulders to protect your chin, spacing, range...I only meant that as a boxer, you only had to know how to box(which encompasses all those skills). In MMA, not only do you need at least a moderate level of boxing skills, but also, BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, TKD, etc.

Exactly...and obviously why Mayweather wouldn't last under MMA rules.

IDK how big the purses are in MMA, but I have to imagine Conor is a getting a real nice payday for this event.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think literally everything about MMA is better than Boxing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...and obviously why Mayweather wouldn't last under MMA rules.

IDK how big the purses are in MMA, but I have to imagine Conor is a getting a real nice payday for this event.
Conor made $3 million last fight, he's made eight figures in a year. It's been reported that he may make $100, so quite a payday.
Yeah, in a cage it's a massacre. Starts with the stance. A boxer wants to show you as little of himself as he can, with priority on guarding their chin, being able to slip and counter. They don't have to defend their legs, so their front leg is wide open for kicks or a shot. When they tie up standing, they like to overhook their opponents arms so they can't punch, problem is, in MMA, that gives your opponent double under and your getting slammed. They don't defend takedowns, knees, elbows, choke holds, leg locks, arm bars, etc, etc, they are totally defensless. Google an out of shape 40+ Randy Couture vs an out of shape James "lights out" Toney. Watch how easy it was for Couture and how badly he could have hurt Toney if he'd wanted to

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think literally everything about MMA is better than Boxing.
I use to be the hardheaded boxing fan who hated everything about mma. Then around 2010 I Was in Vegas the same wkend of a big UFC event. I bet on every fight and since then have been hooked on the sport. Everything about the sport is better.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to be the hardheaded boxing fan who hated everything about mma. Then around 2010 I Was in Vegas the same wkend of a big UFC event. I bet on every fight and since then have been hooked on the sport. Everything about the sport is better.
Boxing had already pretty much gone to shit when I started watching sports.

I started watching MMA about 5 or so years after the first UFC and the evolution of the sport has been awesome. Boxing just doesn't come close to me.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMA is boring to me, only because like someone said they have to be good at many styles, so they often are average/below average at most of those styles. Wrestling is boring to me, and the fights are so short you really can't get into it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MMA by far.

Though I don't really get into it much anymore since my favorites got old and either retired or became doormats(Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua, Mirko Cro Cop, etc)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I don't really get into it much anymore since my favorites got old and either retired or became doormats(Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua, Mirko Cro Cop, etc)

Cro cops kicks were brutal!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching boxing recently I am reminded of how entertaining it can be. For example, the ref did a great job in the MayMac fight of not allowing clinches. It made for more action and put the conditioning of the guys to the test.

I grew up watching boxing but have watched more MMA in recent years. MMA in the UFC used to be about fair competition. Now though top contenders can wait over a year or more to get a title shot while a guy like McGregor chases his pot of gold and multi belt glory without defending a belt.

MMA and boxing both have their positives and can be fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator: