• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl prediction time!!! (oh, and bowl recaps, too)

What do YOU think will be the best bowl game?

• Rose Bowl (USC vs. Penn State)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Sugar Bowl (Auburn vs. Oklahoma)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holiday Bowl (Minnesota vs. Washington State)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Russell Athletic Bowl (Miami vs. West Virginia)

• Alamo Bowl (Oklahoma State vs. Colorado)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Citrus Bowl (LSU vs. Louisville)

• Orange Bowl (Michigan vs. Florida State)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Peach Bowl (Washington vs. Alabama)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Fiesta Bowl (Ohio State vs. Clemson)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Sun, Las Vegas, Taxslayer, esc...)

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose...Cotton...Sugar...Orange. It all started with those 4. Now in 2016 we have 40 bowls, and the only place that you'll get analysis on ALL of them is here!

Oh, and if you go here looking for help with your "Capital One Bowl Mania" game, you'll be s--t out of luck (Just a little warning). So next post, I begin making my picks (And feel free to share yours)!

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I chose other, as in the championship game between Ohio State and Bama :behindsofa:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is DEAD to me

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Round 1: December 17th)

And we're off! The first wave of bowls begin Saturday, and after a lot of soul-searching, I give to you picks for all of them:

December 17th:
Gildan New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. Texas-San Antonio
[2:00, ESPN] (Don't scoff at this match-up; this may be a good one. I mean, New Mexico playing at home + a local team to play against [UTSA] + good offensive players SHOULD = a shootout {just like last year!}. But I'm going with the team that's been here before.)
My prediction: New Mexico 35-25

Geico Las Vegas Bowl: Houston vs. San Diego State
[3:30, ABC] (For Houston, it'll be a chance for us to see Major Applewhite in his first head-coaching gig. And what will Major do to rally the troops after a deflating end to the season?
As for San Diego State, will they be ready to shoot down... Wait a minute. I'm receiving something in my earpiece... Donnel Pumphery is from Vegas?! Well, why didn't you tell me that earlier?)
My prediction: San Diego State 35-34 (Either way, I'm watching this game.)

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl: Appalachian State vs. Toledo [5:30, ESPN] (Saturday will be a banner day for the Sun Belt, as 3 of it's teams will be featured [and there are 3 more still to come!]. By the way, the 2 head coaches know each other! And both of their QB's are awesome! But that's not the reason why I saved this game from the 1-star trash heap.
Nope, it's the fact that Vegas has this game as a "pick-em". That's why.)
My prediction: Toledo 40-34 (Kareem Hunt and Logan Woodside were the deciding factors.)

Autonation Cure Bowl: UCF vs. Arkansas State [5:30, CBS Sports Network] (Happy news for breast cancer charities: I think a few more people will attend this year's game than last year's game. And they can thank Central Florida; 1 season after going 0-12, Scott Frost has their motor going again. But against Arkansas State, I think defense will rule the day; the first one to break loses.)
My prediction: Arkansas State 24-17

R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Southern Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
[9:00, ESPN] (Fun fact: This will be the 51st time that UL-Lafayette and Southern Miss will meet as both squads try to avoid a losing record. To me, Elijah McGuire will be key for the Cajuns; if he doesn't get going the Eagles will win going away.)
My prediction: Southern Miss 28-14

...Phew! With Round 1 done, I'll check back later.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 17th:
Gildan New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. Texas-San Antonio
[2:00, ESPN] (Don't scoff at this match-up; this may be a good one. I mean, New Mexico playing at home + a local team to play against [UTSA] + good offensive players SHOULD = a shootout {just like last year!}. But I'm going with the team that's been here before.)
My prediction: New Mexico 35-25

Youse a genius, man! Excellent call.

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl: Appalachian State vs. Toledo [5:30, ESPN] (Saturday will be a banner day for the Sun Belt, as 3 of it's teams will be featured [and there are 3 more still to come!]. By the way, the 2 head coaches know each other! And both of their QB's are awesome! But that's not the reason why I saved this game from the 1-star trash heap.
Nope, it's the fact that Vegas has this game as a "pick-em". That's why.)
My prediction: Toledo 40-34 (Kareem Hunt and Logan Woodside were the deciding factors.)

You're an imbecile! Who let you in here??

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 2: December 19th through 22nd)

In around an hour, the "Celebration Bowl" will kick off the 2016 bowl season, and I'll actually have a dog in that fight (GO GRAMBLING!).
But before that happens, let me knock out the next 4 bowls real quick: (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN)

December 19th:
Miami Beach Bowl: Central Michigan vs. Tulsa
[2:30] (Remember that crazy way Central Michigan stunned Oklahoma State back in September? It turns out that thanks to a disappointing defense, CMU needed that win just to make it here. My god, what's that defense going to do against a Tulsa offense that's set to make history?
Let's just say Cooper Rush has to have the game of his life here.)
My prediction: Tulsa 49-28

December 20th:
Boca Raton Bowl: Memphis vs. Western Kentucky
[7:00] (Another contest where we're expecting a lot of points to be scored. Thing is, how will WKU handle it now that Jeff Brohm has left for Purdue? But to me, the biggest X-factor in this game is special teams: Both the Tigers and Hilltoppers have scored quite a few times on special teams this year.)
My prediction: Western Kentucky 41-34

December 21st:
Poinsettia Bowl: BYU vs. Wyoming
[9:00] (A taste of the old-school will take place in San Diego, as former conference rivals go at it. And Wyoming has captured hearts all over the West coast with their surprising MW title game berth and the prolific passing of Josh Allen. Meanwhile, BYU has a 4-game winning streak and only needed 8 more points to finish 12-0 this season. Hmmm...)
My prediction: BYU 34-21

December 22nd:
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Idaho vs. Colorado State
[7:00] (Or as I like to call it "Our fond goodbye to the Idaho Vandals". Did ANYONE had Idaho going 8-4 this season?!
So on that note, Colorado State better not underestimate Idaho and their QB Matt Linehan.)
My prediction: Idaho 31-27 (I'm going with the upset here.)

Come tomorrow, I'll start my bowl recaps AND my bowl rankings!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Dakota State is gone (thanks to James Madison)

James Madison vs. North Dakota State - Game Recap - December 16, 2016 - ESPN

Ding dong, the Bison dynasty is DEAD! Ding dong, the Bison dynasty is DEAD! When NDSU clawed back from an early 17-0 deficit to tie it, I didn't think this would happen.
But thanks to JMU's offense, we're finally going to have a new FCS champion this season!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Mexico Bowl and Cure Bowl

Okay... Time to turn my "serious eye" on for right now, as we've had a good first day of bowls yesterday.

New Mexico vs. Texas San Antonio - Box Score - December 17, 2016 - ESPN First there was this game, where UTSA, try as they might, just couldn't take the lead away from the Lobos.

And then, the Cure Bowl had a strong performance from Kendall Sanders as his 3-TD catches helped ASU to a bowl win.

Rating for the New Mexico Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Cure Bowl: 2.25 stars

And by the way, Grambling won the Celebration Bowl over NC-Central 10-9. WAAAAHOOOO! I'm now 2-for-2 in preseason "Celebration Bowl" picks! 2-for-2!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Las Vegas Bowl

Houston vs. San Diego State - Box Score - December 17, 2016 - ESPN

Sure, this game ended up 34-10, but I still had fun watching it. From big plays (Ron Smith's big INT return for a TD for the Aztecs) to swings of momentum, this one had a lot of good points.
Not to mention Donnel Pumphrey setting a new FBS record for total yards.

My ranking for the Las Vegas Bowl: 2.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Camellia Bowl and New Orleans Bowl

Actually, yesterday was a pretty good day for the Sun Belt conference. First we had Arkansas State winning...

Appalachian State vs. Toledo - Game Recap - December 17, 2016 - ESPN ...then we saw App. State winning another fun Camellia Bowl.

Southern Mississippi vs. Louisiana Lafayette - Box Score - December 17, 2016 - ESPN And finally, there was a good game in New Orleans. Yes, UL-Lafayette lost to Southern Miss, but I'm giving them credit: As least they played a full 60 minutes.

Rating for the Camellia Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the New Orleans Bowl: 2.25 stars

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your just hoping it's good...cause it's the only bowl you'll get to go to this year.
4165.jpg

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 3: December 23rd and 24th)

You know, folks, if you're going to be betting on these games and you need help, you should listen to me. Mainly because I've been spot-on with my bowl picks so far.

My dark side: "I'm bracing myself for when the other shoe drops and you start losing."
THAT'S ENOUGH OUT OF YOU! ...Ahem, and since I've been doing so good there's only one thing left to do: Do MORE bowl picks! (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN)

December 23rd:
Popeye's Bahamas Bowl: Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan
[1:00] (If you've been watching ESPN's bowl preview specials, you've probably noticed that EVERY one of the announcers there wanna cover this game. And I know why: A QB duel [David Washington vs. Brogan Roback], in the Bahamas, as 2 bowl virgins go at it [ODU is in their first bowl ever; EMU hasn't been in one since 1987.].
Something tells me ODU will have MORE fun in the Bahamas, as their balanced offense should carry the day.)
My bowl prediction: Old Dominion 34-21

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl: Navy vs. Louisiana Tech
[4:30] (If my bowl hot-streak doesn't end in the Potato Bowl, then it'll probably end here. Mainly because Navy will be SO HARD to forecast. On the one hand, they GOTTA be sad and/or disinterested after losing their last 2 games [One to Temple that ruined their "New Year's Six" dreams, and the other to ARMY!] On the other hand, they've surprised us quite a few times already this season.
And what about La-Tech? Even with their great offense, nobody wants to give them the light of day.)
My bowl prediction: Louisiana Tech 35-31 (Screw it. I'll go against the Midshipmen, and see what happens.)

Dollar General Bowl: Ohio vs. Troy [8:00] (I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this game was formally known as the "Go-Daddy Bowl". So that means instead of Danica Patrick kissing the winner, we're gonna have some fat Dollar General manager from Illinois. Sorry for that image.
Anyway, I think that'll be the only downside for Troy being in this game; they've got the offense and the QB to run down the Bobcats.)
My bowl prediction: Troy 31-17

December 24th:
Hawaii Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. Hawaii
[8:00] (I actually don't have a problem with a 7-loss Hawaii team being in a bowl. I mean, they DO play a 13th game, plus they deserved the bowl after traveling over 47,500 miles this season and STILL scraping together 6 wins!
Thing is, Middle Tennessee's on an offensive tear. And their QB Brent Stockstill is coming back in this game.)
My bowl prediction: Middle Tennessee 40-27

Wait a minute... Am I forgetting something?