• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Both Rosen and Darnold Declare For Draft

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point in the great parity shift, and the giving offenses the upper hand via the rules was to increase viewership.

Now you would not be suggesting that this has failed would you??

In part, yes....Personally during the season outside of the 16 games that our team participated in, I doubt that there were more than 5 games that I watched. (less than that if the metric was watched fully) The reasoning is exactly based on what you just wrote. I loved a good defensive battle on Sundays or Mondays where good defense was allowed. ( No Thursday games back then). I really don't think that I'm the single person who misses the former product. I can't say how many there are, but surely enough to contribute to the 10% drop this year, and some but less so in previous seasons.

My greater point is that folks have left the game for various reasons ( yours included) and just aren't coming back SB or not. It hurts more that the only marquee name at QB left is Brady. If he doesn't make it, then, the Jacksonville market hurts them too.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viewership has gone down for a number of reasons such as kneeling, general attitudes towards athletes, prices, and pussification of the game.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In part, yes....Personally during the season outside of the 16 games that our team participated in, I doubt that there were more than 5 games that I watched. (less than that if the metric was watched fully) The reasoning is exactly based on what you just wrote. I loved a good defensive battle on Sundays or Mondays where good defense was allowed. ( No Thursday games back then). I really don't think that I'm the single person who misses the former product. I can't say how many there are, but surely enough to contribute to the 10% drop this year, and some but less so in previous seasons.

My greater point is that folks have left the game for various reasons ( yours included) and just aren't coming back SB or not. It hurts more that the only marquee name at QB left is Brady. If he doesn't make it, then, the Jacksonville market hurts them too.

Agree Sty although there are good defensive teams still in this years playoffs it is the good D of today. Rules changes have changed the game so much that it doesn't look the same. The game has changed, not sure that it is for the better. I know mostly I just watched the Redskins this year. I watched a couple of Rams games during the year and I have been watching Jacksonville in the playoffs. As far as NE goes unless you are a fan you probably aren't looking to see them there again.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints proved that this type of argument is flawed. They built their team mainly via the draft & the Redskins can do the same. Redskins can extend Cousins & still address the rest of their needs.

For starters a long term deal can be structured in a cap friendly setup. Beyond that you can build primarily via the draft which doesn't impact the cap that much. You supplement this via cheaper FA deals & Skins should be alright since Allen is actually very good at working the cap. Regardless of whether they keep Cousins the Redskins have proved that they should never try to build the team mainly via high $$, big name FAs so I don't see this as a valid argument.

Now if they try to retain Cousins via a tag then you might be correct.

While I agree with you. To build through the draft a team has to be good at drafting which the Redskins are not.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you. To build through the draft a team has to be good at drafting which the Redskins are not.
Exactly. The whole premise of building through the draft implies that you can evaluate real talent and put together a draft board. The current FO has no positive track record saying they can. In fact, the opposite is probably true.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rumor has it browns are sold on josh allen at #1, and it would be the browns thing to do

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have expressed similar concerns in other posts. However I would not state that the Redskins are horrible at the draft like they were prior to the last 3-4 years. At least they are retaining picks at this time & many very good players on their roster are players they drafted. Whether they are good or not at drafting this really remains their major way of attaining future success (whether they retain Cousins or not).

Let's just hope that they keep retaining picks, have a little luck & possibly have some other folks beyond Allen/Snyder contributing to major draft decisions (big wish I know).

Anyhow - your statement just undermines the need to retain Cousins. I would not necessarily say that they can't draft but certainly drafting QBs has not been their strength (& they are possibly considering moving on from the only true long term QB they have drafted in ages).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viewership has gone down for a number of reasons such as kneeling, general attitudes towards athletes, prices, and pussification of the game.

That is part of it, but there is so much more to this issue. For starters they can't measure ratings like they did in the past. There are so many other devices other than TVs where people can watch football & until recently these were not factored into the ratings. Also lots of folks will either watch Red Zone or monitor stats/scores online & bypass the games completely (mainly because their main interest is Fantasy Football).

There are also many more entertainment options in this era than in the past so it is given that pro sports will suffer in the ratings dept. Many kids growing up in this era also don't have the same level of excitement as we had in the past for the NFL (I see this a lot in my extended family). IMO the ratings were bound to suffer even w/o all of the political BS (that just magnified it). However - the NFL ratings are still huge & I don't think that anyone associated w/ the NFL is going broke anytime soon. Games like that Vikings/Saints game might actually bring back some more viewers. We will see.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throw in the fact that the younger generation is much more interested in other things (video games, cell phones), than I was at that age. Just speaking for myself, but I rarely get a chance to watch more than the Skins game on Sundays (sometimes not even that), certainly in the nicer fall weather. I have things to do and young kids to spend time with too.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rumor has it browns are sold on josh allen at #1, and it would be the browns thing to do
there is good tape coming out on allen on twitter . he is in the sr bowl . if the browns were smart they would grab barkley 1st then at 4 pick allen(if they want him )

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is good tape coming out on allen on twitter . he is in the sr bowl . if the browns were smart they would grab barkley 1st then at 4 pick allen(if they want him )
22taml.jpg

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u can always find good tape over the years, he still put up crap numbers in a lesser conference

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they were smart they draft rosen #1, trade him for a little haul, take barkley at 4, and go from there

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed that a few others besides myself have indicated that they have limited themselves or are limited by circumstance to watching some or all of our games and just a few others. This had me thinking about asking a few questions with these things in mind.

1. Do you guys believe that watching NFL games have gone tribal, i.e. watching home town or regional team and little else?

2. How many NON "home or favored team ( ours is D.C.)" games do you watch during the season?

3. Has your NFL viewership increased or declined since the NFL instituted its "parity" rules?

4. ...And this one, thanks to @Sportster 72, With the rule changes favoring offenses as much as it does, is the game a better or worse product than the previous versions? (I know it's different)

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed that a few others besides myself have indicated that they have limited themselves or are limited by circumstance to watching some or all of our games and just a few others. This had me thinking about asking a few questions with these things in mind.

1. Do you guys believe that watching NFL games have gone tribal, i.e. watching home town or regional team and little else?

2. How many NON "home or favored team ( ours is D.C.)" games do you watch during the season?

3. Has your NFL viewership increased or declined since the NFL instituted its "parity" rules?

4. ...And this one, thanks to @Sportster 72, With the rule changes favoring offenses as much as it does, is the game a better or worse product than the previous versions? (I know it's different)

IM probably a bad example, but I tend to watch the Skins games, the Division games, and the games of teams we are set to play within the following three weeks. Yea I do record and watch games if they happen to be on when I'm watching another game.

I don't think my viewership has declined. Although I admit I have not sat down to watch a game since week 17 (but that's partly because I been doing a house remod)

As for is the game better or worse... I would say worse in that I'm a defensive kind of guy, and the defensive stars are by and large being treated like a stray pitbull at the SPCA... Neutered and not allowed to have any fun. Where as the offense is being given the sultans treatment... sling it all over the yard with little or no fear of any one being able to stop you.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. I believe football is far less tribal than it used to be because of fantasy football. The reason many watch fewer games without that aren’t hometown teams is that games are broken down by region and no choice without ticket.

2. 0, unless it is a big fantasy game.

3. Increased but I am young-ish.

4. I think since the game has pushed to be safer, the product is far worse. People watch football because of the violence.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched most of the Redskin games. I think I missed one late in the season and I turned on the Rams and turned off the Redskins due to the Skins playing very poorly and Rams being in a big game. The Sean McVay factor.

I do not watch or follow any sport like I did when I was younger. There are several reasons for that. One is that I am busier at work now than I have ever been. I don't follow college sports at the same level I did when I was younger and I think it trickles down. I was very involved with my nephews and their HS and college football careers so I was consuming and participating in football a lot just in a different way. It hasn't been the same since they have finished their careers.

I think fantasy football did affect the way the game is consumed. I think electronic games, computers and cellphones draw peoples attention or competes at the same time. I also the changes in the game aren't quite as much fun. By the time you get to my age you have seen 4 or 5 generations of the greatest QB or player or whatever. Every generation thinks their stars are the greatest

Anyhow, lots of reasons. TVs today and ticket prices don't help the game today either.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for is the game better or worse... I would say worse in that I'm a defensive kind of guy, and the defensive stars are by and large being treated like a stray pitbull at the SPCA... Neutered and not allowed to have any fun. Where as the offense is being given the sultans treatment... sling it all over the yard with little or no fear of any one being able to stop you.

That being said the remaining teams in the playoffs have stellar defenses (even the Pats since the early weeks)
& the defensive units for most of these teams has been a primary reason for their success. There is still something to be said for having a good D.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I believe football is far less tribal than it used to be because of fantasy football. The reason many watch fewer games without that aren’t hometown teams is that games are broken down by region and no choice without ticket.

2. 0, unless it is a big fantasy game.

3. Increased but I am young-ish.

4. I think since the game has pushed to be safer, the product is far worse. People watch football because of the violence.

Well - people in their 20s and younger don't think & act like previous generations & I truly believe that this has a big impact on NFL ratings. I know relatives and others in this age bracket & they barely watch football & other sports. You also have to remember that many don't watch TV in the traditional manner for the most part - they live on their phone, play video games, binge watch on Netflix & other outlets, etc. It is just how it is in this era.

As for your last pt - I understand your pt, but in the end I am for anything that makes for a better quality of life for players both now & later in their lives. I think that perhaps they take it too far & they still need to tweak it correctly, but I am not going to complain too loudly about something that results in more safety (knowing that the NFL also has ulterior motives). Also - sure I like a good hit, but that is not my primary reason for watching football so I won't go too crazy about having less violence in the NFL.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see the watching of the NFL as any more tribal than it has ever been. In fact, as someone pointed out, fantasy football might have made the audience even less tribal. However, viewership has gone down. That is a fact. While parity efforts may have had slight influence, it's really that the game just doesn't have to flow it used to. Way too many reviews of plays that take minutes each time. I believe that it just looses viewers. And then there is the political statements that have infiltrated the league which has clearly turned some off. Finally, the rules changes have affected the game. They have gone way too far to the offense, some of the calls on defenders with hitting the QB and receivers is just crazy. The obvious cheap shots to the head is fine, but sometimes the defender can't help but place a hard, high hit on the player with the ball based upon the player's movements right before contact. Also, the definition of a catch is crazy. These things are turning folks off.