• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Book: Living Out Loud: Sports, Cancer, and the Things Worth Fighting For.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started reading this book, by Craig Sager.

How much one likes it will depend on how much one likes the stories.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT, but it's always bothered me how in TV shows and movies, people have cross-gender siblings/cousins if they are kids, but if they're adults, it's almost always a same gender sibling, or even cousins.

It's hard to find a TV show or movie in which adults have cross-gender siblings, and that aspect is an important part of the character development, and the siblings are featured throughout the entirety of the show or series.

The best one will see is a character guest starring for a few episodes.

For example, on "Frasier", Daphne had all brothers. They appeared around the time of Daphne's wedding to Donny, but that's about it.

On "Friends", Joey had all sisters. Some of them appeared during an episode here or there, but it wasn't a prominent part of the show.

It might take more work to show character development between adult cross gender siblings/cousins, but it's more reflective of real life. I wish it happened more.

About the only examples I can find are on "Friends", Ross and Monica were cross gender siblings, and that relationship was featured throughout the show's run.

Also, on 7th Heaven, Reverend Camden had a sister named Julie. At first, she was introduced as an alcoholic character.

But a few years later, she went through rehab, and became a more prominent part of the show. Ok, I see she appeared in a total of 18 episodes. Considering the show had 243 episodes, that's still not many.

I mention all of this because Sager mentioned how his relationship with his sister evolved over the years. He went from being the bratty younger brother whom she had to babysit, to a peer and someone who cared for his nieces.

It would be good if TV shows and movies could show that kind of cross-gender relationship between siblings and cousins.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finished the book last month.

I was getting annoyed at first, because it jumped from his childhood, and how he liked sports and played for the high school basketball team, to his cancer.

It seemed that he had skipped the part about how he got into broadcasting. That had been something I was looking forward to reading. About how he got his start, and the journey his professional career took before landing with TNT.

But, he eventually got to those parts.

In between chapters detailing his cancer treatment, he'd flash back to earlier parts of his life.

This book is also unique because Craig Sager Jr. wrote several chapters during important moments.

So, you'd read one chapter about the latest cancer development. Then the next chapter would be Sager Jr.'s account of the development. It was cool to get both perspectives.

This was an informative book both about Sager's life, and what goes on when facing cancer.

It was a little weird reading about someone's life that was so recent, especially during the events between 2014 - 2016. I kept thinking that I'm reading something that happened just a little while ago.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the inheritance stuff, it's possible Sager gifted his older kids stuff before he died.

It's also possible he felt his adult kids were established, so he wanted to focus on the two younger ones.

According to tweets, Sager Jr. says he didn't want anything from the inheritance either.

But then this next tweet says the timing of the will change bothered him:

Not sure what to think right now. Let's see how these latest developments progress.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I just want to point out a more positive aspect of Sager. These negative developments will continue, but how about something positive for a change.

He talked about how he'd carry his first child, Kacy, to her kindergarten class. They would laugh on the way to class every day. He said he looked forward to that every school morning.

The teacher told him that she wouldn't learn her independence if he kept carrying her to class.

Sager then responded that perhaps the teacher should worry about the parents that didn't pay enough attention to their kids.

The school principal and teachers got together and discussed the issue. They then issued an apology.

I liked reading that story, because I knew with his future jobs, he'd have less time for his kids. So it was nice to see a period of time when he was more available.