• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boise State still hasn't formally withdrawn, decision to wait could cost millions

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise State still hasn't formally withdrawn, decision to wait could cost millions - CBSSports.com

Six months after Boise State announced it would join the Big East in 2013, the Broncos not only still haven't officially withdrawn from the Mountain West, but remain in discussions with the MWC about staying in that league, industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Boise State is scheduled to play its final season in the Mountain West in 2012-13 and join the Big East as a football-only member in 2013. However, the Broncos haven't officially withdrawn from the Mountain West.

If they do so before July 1, their exit fee only consists of forfeiting their final year's worth of league revenue (about $2.5 million). However, if the Broncos wait to withdraw after July 1, it would cost even more -- potentially as much as $24 million.

Uh oh.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it may be because the WAC is dying.

I think Boise is screwed regardless; the Mountain West is a shade of its former self (basically the WAC all over again) and the Big East will fail in the next two years.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Boise is screwed regardless; the Mountain West is a shade of its former self (basically the WAC all over again) and the Big East will fail in the next two years.

Yep. The MWC is trying to get AQ status right now.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a football conference, it's going to take a hit. I don't know about basketball, though. Even with Pitt and Syracuse leaving, there are a lot of good programs left.

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While your comments may or may not be correct with regards to the fate of the Big East, MWC, WAC, etc....the article is a non issue.

Boise will wait until the last day or two to formally withdraw from the MWC as they are trying to negotiate with other conferences for their non football sports. MWC wants them back...badly. Big East wants their football team...badly. Big West needs money...badly. Boise is holding some cards so that they can leverage their position. We'll just have to see what happens, I just don't really believe there is much substance to the article rather than to get blog hits.

cheers,

dag

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We know.

The question is where can we get the most money in the next few years and how can we beg for an invite to one of the Big 4. We need the money to expand the facilities to get the invite. Do we get that money in the BE or the MWC? The MWaC is pretty pathetic and I think the BE is still the better option.

We have until Sat to decide on the BE.

Right now the MWC is trying to woo us with unequal revenue sharing but IMO it will still fall short of what we can get in the BE. I also think we are telling the BE the invite may need to be for all sports..........

AQ status has always been secondary to the TV money. The MWC getting a one year waiver, which I expect won't be granted, would not be enough to keep us there without a big money tv contract.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also check out where the articles are coming from and what their impact on tv money negotiations are.........that kinda says it all right there as far as the credibility factor.

Of course CBS is going to talk BSU not going to the BE up................