• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Rondeau retiring after 2017 football season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voice of the Huskies Bob Rondeau retiring after 2017 season

Lots of local talk about this yesterday. Probably doesn't mean much to most of the under 30y/o crowd. Bob has been the voice of UW going all the way back to the early days of Don James. He's been there through the good times and bad. Called championship seasons as well as the 0-12 campaign.

I remember many years in the 80's and 90's of watching games at the bar or other public venues where they turned off the sound (unless it was Keith Jackson on the TV coverage of course) and played Bob over the radio. In an era where many games weren't on TV his voice was the only connection you had to quite a few of those games.

New era now. Every game on TV and the radio coverage is just not as prominent as it once was, but still mighty big shoes to fill for whoever gets the nod next. I heard someone mention Dick Fain and I nearly threw up. Might not need the radio as much, but lets face it: Almost all of the TV coverage is pure garbage anymore. There are still times I bring up Rondeau on a headset while watching a road game because I just can't stand the lame ass people they put on the TV.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the under 30 crowd but I definitely understand what he means to this school. Sad to see him go.

I still remember being borderline blacked out and hearing him calling plays inside the stadium as I was going to the bathroom. To me, he is the voice of my college football experience although I never missed a home game during my undergrad days.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fain takes over I will avoid listening as much as humanly possible. Not only is he just the worst in general, but going from a legend like Rondeau to his obnoxious 'makes me want to punch you' voice would be unbearable.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even stand that little douche and his BS on a light hearted morning sports talk show, he is why I don't listen to Mitch anymore, ever.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Softy just had the dude who's gonna take over on. I don't like him...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than Fain though...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than Fain though...
Shit, that's not saying much.

It's hard to replace a legend. I can remember when Bob first started for UW. That was a long damned time ago for sure.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the drive in this morning Mitch reported it as a terrible hire and that the job should have gone to Fain. :laugh:

I've heard the new guy and he feels a bit 'generic' sounding, but no one would really step right in following Rondeau so only time will tell. I know this guy has done college basketball, but has he ever called football? And really I must admit I haven't listened to Bob much in recent years as it is with every game being on TV so there's that.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the drive in this morning Mitch reported it as a terrible hire and that the job should have gone to Fain. :laugh:

I've heard the new guy and he feels a bit 'generic' sounding, but no one would really step right in following Rondeau so only time will tell. I know this guy has done college basketball, but has he ever called football? And really I must admit I haven't listened to Bob much in recent years as it is with every game being on TV so there's that.
That was my thought. Obviously no one will impress the likes of us who are used to Rondeau's iconic voice and touchdown Washingtons, but just a 30 something dude who sounds like some random I drank with in the parking lot before the game seems to lack potential. Other than the end of these types of September games we have the next few weeks that we leave early, and post game stuff, I haven't listend to him since the added the delay and the radio broadcast stopped syncing with the live tv feed. Still sucks, might have to dig the tape deck out of storage and record a big game or two this year.

To end on a positive, it's not Fain!

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, to be fair, after watching the basketball highlights he sounds better than he did on softy. We'll see I guess...

Edit: and he's not Fain! Whoever even mentioned that whiny turd needs a swift kick in the nuts.