• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Board nostalgia

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact - I joined the ESPN message boards in January of 2003. I joined the board specifically to do discuss coaching rumors and who the Bengal would hire that offseason after the departure of Dick LeBeau.

There was no twitter..... No Adam Schefter..... Mort's reports were basically on Sportcenter and Hobs was our only real 'source' for up-to-date news.

Oh, and Chaney was already well-known around the ESPN boards for trolling.

Good times.

BTW - I was out-of-my-mind happy with the Lewis hire.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that cincygrad happiness is on the verge of driving, sneaking garage beers, and creeping out the neighbor's daughter, all while never seeing a playoff win.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that cincygrad happiness is on the verge of driving, sneaking garage beers, and creeping out the neighbor's daughter, all while never seeing a playoff win.

I know! Isn't that crazy. There are Cincinnati kids in high school that never knew anything but faulty clock management and horrible performances in big spots.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact - I joined the ESPN message boards in January of 2003. I joined the board specifically to do discuss coaching rumors and who the Bengal would hire that offseason after the departure of Dick LeBeau.

There was no twitter..... No Adam Schefter..... Mort's reports were basically on Sportcenter and Hobs was our only real 'source' for up-to-date news.

Good times.

By 2003 I had already been banned a half dozen times from the ESPN boards.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By 2003 I had already been banned a half dozen times from the ESPN boards.

You had a reputation. I don't think anyone realizes how much you've mellowed over the years.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there 2001 I think, Kramer immediately stood out as a funny guy..props

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on the ESPN boards halfway through the Dick Lebeau coached season 2001. I figured at that point we would never have another winning season and that all our future coaches were going to be Dave Shula / Bruce Coslet-esque.

I give Marvin credit for changing the culture here. He was a terrible game manager and had little to no balls especially during big games, but I have to admit, while not all were great draft picks, our overall attitude, culture and talent level changed considerably during his tenure.

Now, we have Duke Tobin heading up player scouting that I am comfortable in Marvin Lewis leaving and being able to still attain quality players through the draft since our owner is a penny pincher.

But we need a guy that is more charismatic. A coach that was a lot like Boomer Esiason was as a QB. A guy that got the most of his players around him, guys that had a great desire to succeed to make him proud of them. A guy that would put you on his back and carry you to where you needed to be. His ability to motivate, inspire and drive his teammates. Then of course, we need a coach with a little bit of balls in certain situations and can manage a game with the best of them.

Next head coach must possess the following characteristics:

1. Charismatic Leader
2. Excellent Game Manager
3. Superb Teacher

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was out-of-my-mind happy with the Lewis hire.

I watched this a few times already. Back when Marvin wasn't a zombie.

Makes me a little teary-eyed not gonna lie.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this a few times already. Back when Marvin wasn't a zombie.

Makes me a little teary-eyed not gonna lie.

It’s hard to believe how young and full of energy Marvin looks back then. We’re all so used to the condescending grey haired curmudgeon version of the guy. 15 years of working for Mike Brown will do that to a fella.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think I joined the ESPN boards around 2006. Right after the Palmer/Steelers playoff disaster. I thought for sure we would at least get to a Super Bowl with that Palmer/Chad/TJ/Rudi core back then.

I also remember that BipRoberts troll absolutely despised Carson Palmer. This was before he started declining, never fulfilled his immense promise here and eventually demanded a trade.

RavensRockNorth was a fun one as well. Good times.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think I joined the ESPN boards around 2006. Right after the Palmer/Steelers playoff disaster. I thought for sure we would at least get to a Super Bowl with that Palmer/Chad/TJ/Rudi core back then.

I also remember that BipRoberts troll absolutely despised Carson Palmer. This was before he started declining, never fulfilled his immense promise here and eventually demanded a trade.

RavensRockNorth was a fun one as well. Good times.

Fun fact about RRN..... His screen name was SteelersRockNorth. He changed it to RavensRockNorth in 2006 while the Steelers suffered through an 8-8 season which wasn't good for his troll game. I think we also established that he grew up and never left the Dayton area and he had daddy issues.

Bip was just a fucking troll. He was obsessed with Carson Palmer and Kramer.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That video of Marvin is scary. That was back when he'd print out inspirational t-shirts, bring the shovel into the locker and actually joke with his players. I wonder if he'll get any of that back on his next stop.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 'solomonknows' must be dead.

he was on my myspace contacts for awhile.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had a reputation. I don't think anyone realizes how much you've mellowed over the years.

I channel all that rage into my member now. I'm too busy wrecking ho's to care about the Bengals.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hoe.jpg

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
140207_2721848_Velvet_Jones_School_of_Technology_anvver_3.jpg

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good times.

I came aboard ESPN the espn board in 1999! I was just getting into following football and wanted to pick a team that had never won a Super Bowl, so I could be along for the whole ride. A sad fact, and this is the truth, I narrowed it down to the Patriots and the Bengals and I was convinced Akili Smith was the real deal! I could have been a Pats fan and been along for all of those Super Bowls, but then I would have probably really had a big head, and Yall' wouldn't have been able to stand me.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came aboard ESPN the espn board in 1999! I was just getting into following football and wanted to pick a team that had never won a Super Bowl, so I could be along for the whole ride. A sad fact, and this is the truth, I narrowed it down to the Patriots and the Bengals and I was convinced Akili Smith was the real deal! I could have been a Pats fan and been along for all of those Super Bowls, but then I would have probably really had a big head, and Yall' wouldn't have been able to stand me.

play on playa.