• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bledsoe Says He's Ready To Step In

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOXBORO — If needed, Drew Bledsoe is ready to help out Tom Brady for one more AFC Championship Game.

Bledsoe, who will be an honorary captain Sunday when the Patriots host the Jaguars at Gillette Stadium, stepped in for an injured Brady during a victory against the Steelers in the conference title tilt after the 2001 season. And with Brady dealing with a thumb injury, Bledsoe was asked Friday how much he’s got left in the tank.

“The ball still flies off my hand pretty good, believe it or not,” Bledsoe said. “I’m coaching some high school football out here (in Oregon), and every now and then I’ll go play some scout team. If they need me, I’ll be ready. I’ll borrow Julian Edelman’s No. 11 jersey and go out there and sling it around. I figure I’ve got one or two good plays in me, and that’s about it.”

Bledsoe last threw a pass for the Patriots in that AFC Championship Game, when he was 10 of 21 for 102 yards and a touchdown in the 24-17 win at Heinz Field. His fondest memory of that weekend was a surprise visit from his father, and during the on-field trophy presentation, Bledsoe tossed him a game ball that his father still keeps on his dresser.

“That was a pretty special moment,” Bledsoe said. “Obviously, that year was an emotional rollercoaster for me personally, kind of going from being the franchise quarterback who intended to be there forever to getting hurt and watching this young kid come in and play well, and watch the team win. It was a bit of a rollercoaster, but it really was an awesome experience to get it come in and play that game in 2001 and help us get to the Super Bowl.”

Bledsoe and Brady have remained friends through the years, and Bledsoe believed Brady would be fine Sunday as long as he can grip the football. As for reflecting upon the five-time Super Bowl champion’s career, Bledsoe had some fun with the analysis of his one-time understudy.

“He learned really well, man,” Bledsoe said. “He paid really close attention to all the lessons I taught him when he was there. Obviously, I take all the credit for his success. Tommy has been so amazing for so long. His continued excellence through all of these years is really pretty astounding.”

Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who hosted Bledsoe on his private jet to Denver this season, invited the Pats Hall of Famer to take part in the festivities on Sunday. Bledsoe will join the captains at midfield for the coin toss.

“Drew Bledsoe played such an integral role in our efforts to rebuild the Patriots,” Kraft said. “He gave fans hope for the future by providing many memorable moments during his record-breaking career. For a franchise that had only hosted one playoff game in its first 35 years, winning the (1996) AFC Championship Game at home in Foxboro and taking the Patriots to the playoffs for three consecutive years were unimaginable goals prior to his arrival.”

Bledsoe happily rearranged his schedule to make the trip for the game.

“It’s a great honor to come out and be an honorary captain for the best organization in all of sports,” Bledsoe said. “Mr. Kraft has always been so kind to me and my family. It was a great feeling to get that call from him the other day to ask me to come out and do that. So I changed some plans, and we’ll be there.”

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. It would be real neat to see him take a couple passes. Thanks for letting us know.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he can still sling the ball...

I do not believe he can fit into Edelmans jersey.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOXBORO — If needed, Drew Bledsoe is ready to help out Tom Brady for one more AFC Championship Game.

Bledsoe, who will be an honorary captain Sunday when the Patriots host the Jaguars at Gillette Stadium, stepped in for an injured Brady during a victory against the Steelers in the conference title tilt after the 2001 season. And with Brady dealing with a thumb injury, Bledsoe was asked Friday how much he’s got left in the tank.

“The ball still flies off my hand pretty good, believe it or not,” Bledsoe said. “I’m coaching some high school football out here (in Oregon), and every now and then I’ll go play some scout team. If they need me, I’ll be ready. I’ll borrow Julian Edelman’s No. 11 jersey and go out there and sling it around. I figure I’ve got one or two good plays in me, and that’s about it.”

Bledsoe last threw a pass for the Patriots in that AFC Championship Game, when he was 10 of 21 for 102 yards and a touchdown in the 24-17 win at Heinz Field. His fondest memory of that weekend was a surprise visit from his father, and during the on-field trophy presentation, Bledsoe tossed him a game ball that his father still keeps on his dresser.

“That was a pretty special moment,” Bledsoe said. “Obviously, that year was an emotional rollercoaster for me personally, kind of going from being the franchise quarterback who intended to be there forever to getting hurt and watching this young kid come in and play well, and watch the team win. It was a bit of a rollercoaster, but it really was an awesome experience to get it come in and play that game in 2001 and help us get to the Super Bowl.”

Bledsoe and Brady have remained friends through the years, and Bledsoe believed Brady would be fine Sunday as long as he can grip the football. As for reflecting upon the five-time Super Bowl champion’s career, Bledsoe had some fun with the analysis of his one-time understudy.

“He learned really well, man,” Bledsoe said. “He paid really close attention to all the lessons I taught him when he was there. Obviously, I take all the credit for his success. Tommy has been so amazing for so long. His continued excellence through all of these years is really pretty astounding.”

Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who hosted Bledsoe on his private jet to Denver this season, invited the Pats Hall of Famer to take part in the festivities on Sunday. Bledsoe will join the captains at midfield for the coin toss.

“Drew Bledsoe played such an integral role in our efforts to rebuild the Patriots,” Kraft said. “He gave fans hope for the future by providing many memorable moments during his record-breaking career. For a franchise that had only hosted one playoff game in its first 35 years, winning the (1996) AFC Championship Game at home in Foxboro and taking the Patriots to the playoffs for three consecutive years were unimaginable goals prior to his arrival.”

Bledsoe happily rearranged his schedule to make the trip for the game.

“It’s a great honor to come out and be an honorary captain for the best organization in all of sports,” Bledsoe said. “Mr. Kraft has always been so kind to me and my family. It was a great feeling to get that call from him the other day to ask me to come out and do that. So I changed some plans, and we’ll be there.”

Cool. It would be real neat to see him take a couple passes. Thanks for letting us know.

I believe he can still sling the ball...

I do not believe he can fit into Edelmans jersey.

Bledsoe was great. He stepped up big and made a clutch handoff......to Robert Kraft.