• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackpowder hunting rifle?

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind you all use or think I should look at? I am curious about getting one for the upcoming season. Since blackpowder season opens way earlier. They don't make them like they use to, it's crazy how well made they are in regards to accuracy and quality.

So what kind do you all use?

I could have posted this in the gun section but this will be used for hunting.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knight or Thompson would be my first choice for a front stuffer. I've shot a Rem 700ml that I liked as well, but I believe that they are discontinued now. First and foremost, make sure you check your regs because every state seems to be a little different when it comes to muzzleloaders. For example, in Washington you can't have a scope, can't use 209 caps, and can't have a closed breech.

If this is going to be used for deer then either a .45 cal or .50 cal would be my recommendation. You can either use loose powder or pellets. I shoot loose powder as my gun likes 80 grains of powder and the pellets are 50 grains each. Bullet size, anything around 250-300 will be sufficient for deer.

Knight Disc Extreme http://www.cabelas.com/product/Knight-Disc-Extreme-Caliber-Muzzleloader/1391152.uts

Also, fiber optic sites will make a huge difference when shooting!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting into black powder shooting and want to buy several reproductions including an 1861 Springfield musket. These are .58 caliber with 38" barrel, and highly accurate even to 500 yards, it is said. Pedersoli makes good examples of the gun. It would be interesting to take it deer hunting.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting into black powder shooting and want to buy several reproductions including an 1861 Springfield musket. These are .58 caliber with 38" barrel, and highly accurate even to 500 yards, it is said. Pedersoli makes good examples of the gun. It would be interesting to take it deer hunting.

That would be the only way I would buy a black powder rifle for hunting.

Here in SC the black powder season is only 10 days long in early October. It's still hot then, and between the short season and the fact that with the advances in technology it's not a whole lot different than hunting with my single shot rifle during firearms season I just can't justify it any other way.