• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks 2016-17 Season Thread

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cannot see protecting the unrestricted free agent. I dont know what Vegas is going to want. They will still need to get to the cap floor and I am sure there will be some big names unprotected for a team looking for cap space without taking anything back.

Agreed, but I could see them signing Darling prior to the expansion draft.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I could see them signing Darling prior to the expansion draft.

The problem with that is you need to either sign him as a starter or sign him as a backup. If he is signed for backup dollars, no doubt they might grab him even with Crow then exposed. I really dont want to expose Crow and NOT have him picked. I think that would make a messy next year. I would not mind if they exposed Crow and he was picked. There are probably 10 teams that might want Darling and give him a legitimate shot to start, which will probably be double the dollars the Hawks could afford to keep him as a backup.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosival moved to IR, Forsling recalled from Rockford. I liked Forslings game early in the year, he is on a 4 game point streak, are they trying to find an answer in the system instead of trading for a betteran?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosival moved to IR, Forsling recalled from Rockford. I liked Forslings game early in the year, he is on a 4 game point streak, are they trying to find an answer in the system instead of trading for a betteran?

More likely they're auditioning him for a trade.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a Hawks blogger:

"My information is, the Hawks have reached out to Scott Darling's agent to discuss an extension.

What's more telling is I was also told to look at the deal of the Islanders' Tomas Greiss (3 years/$3.33 million per) as a potential comparable. I think if that's true and the Hawks do go down that road or something similar in terms of the dollars necessary to extend Darling, then it sends a pretty clear message about where they are going this summer and going forward with the goalie position overall—especially as part of their overall cap structure. It's hard to see the Hawks being able to afford committing $10 million to the goalie position in light of their other cap commitments."

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think 2 3 million dollar goalies would be the plan. Darling has been really good and looked really bad. where Crow is basically not the same since his appendectomy.

I mean, if you extend Darling, are you protecting him this summer or are you leaving a bigger fish (forward or D man, some are thinking Krueger) unprotected so you dont worry about vegas taking a goalie? They can only lose 1.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think 2 3 million dollar goalies would be the plan. Darling has been really good and looked really bad. where Crow is basically not the same since his appendectomy.

I mean, if you extend Darling, are you protecting him this summer or are you leaving a bigger fish (forward or D man, some are thinking Krueger) unprotected so you dont worry about vegas taking a goalie? They can only lose 1.

I think you HAVE to expose at least one goalie with a certain minimum number of NHL games played, per the expansion draft rules. Of course, they could trade Crow and acquire another goalie to expose in the draft.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you HAVE to expose at least one goalie with a certain minimum number of NHL games played, per the expansion draft rules. Of course, they could trade Crow and acquire another goalie to expose in the draft.

I just meant expose a Seabrook, Krueger or Hammer so they would leave the goalie alone. Its 7 forwards, 3 d men 1 goalie, or 8 total skaters forwards and d men and one goalie. Those would be the teams that want to protect more than 3 D men.

Kane
Toews
Panarin
Anisimov
Hossa
Hartman, Hinestroza

Keith, Seabs, Hammer??

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just meant expose a Seabrook, Krueger or Hammer so they would leave the goalie alone. Its 7 forwards, 3 d men 1 goalie, or 8 total skaters forwards and d men and one goalie. Those would be the teams that want to protect more than 3 D men.

Kane
Toews
Panarin
Anisimov
Hossa
Hartman, Hinestroza

Keith, Seabs, Hammer??

Why protect a 38 year old Hossa?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why protect a 38 year old Hossa?

Because whether he is here or not, the hawks are tied to cap hit penalties. I do not think they go with the next team.

Here's why Hossa retiring wouldn't help the Hawks

You might as well keep him around if he is going to have a cap hit of 3.7 million to 2021 whether he is here or not.

Anyway, wondering who you guys would protect, or move before they need to be protected. If you want to protect 4 D men you can only protect 4 other forwards.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kane, Anisimov, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmasson and Crawford MUST be protected as the have NMCs, barring a trade. That leaves room for 3 additional forwards, of which Panarin and Hartman are probably locks. Personally, I'd add Kruger. His value to this team defensively is much higher than most people realize.

They need to sign Darling to comply with the Player Exposure Requirements.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that alot of times. Its still confusing. Las Vegas has to select 0ne player from each team (30) but must take a minimum of 20 and more players may be acquired due to teams violating the expansion draft rules.

What do they do with the extra players when they can only carry 23?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the 20 players refers to having to draft at least 20 players UNDER CONTRACT for next season. I assume that means they can draft players hitting UFA and RFA status for up to the remaining 10. As to the extra players, I guess they can function as a normal team and trade assets prior to the start of the season, or waive them and risk losing them via a waiver claim.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying that the rule states they must take 1 from each team, but then a minimum of 20. I realize they might mean they can only take 1 from each team. There will probably be protests about teams not following the rules to get a better player off that roster, but they do not need to draft any current basement dwellers overages.

What I meant was its not like any of these 30 who met the prerequisite of this draft are going to be on some AHL affiliate next year does it?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thinks it's possible a few draftees could be in the AHL next year. I mean, to your point about drafting 30 players but only having a 23 man roster, how would you structure your draft? I could see them taking a shot at a few high risk players who perhaps were highly touted at one point, but have seen their development sputter. One or more of those could not make the team and get sent to the AHL (if they clear waivers). I don't know if Las Vegas will even have an AHL team next year, or at least part of one. Most likely they have an agreement with an existing AHL team that they get 5 or so roster spots for players under their control.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just the prerequisite for the players is they need to have contract control and they also need to have played in 40 games this year, or 70 over the past two. Those are not players that will accept an AHL assignment too well. I can see them trading those players (maybe even back to their team) for prospects or draft picks to try to build a system.

I can see some big names being left off lists, players that are over paid and under performing or wore out their welcome, but I also understand why Bowman is wanting Vinnie and Rasmussen in the lineup alot so they will be able to be exposed. I am still confused about having to sign a goalie so they can be exposed. You either sign Darling and lose him keep him and have to trade him if he is not drafted, or bid against the other 30 teams to sign him after.

In other news, Prospect Roundup: DeBrincat has another monster week the system seems ready to pick up after whoever is chosen. It really blows that the main nhl blackhawk page does not have players in the system anymore to keep track of that 19 year old Fortin that went back oversas.

Last edited: