• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Billy Beane sucks, I don't care what Isaiah thinks.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best team in baseball record wise then he started breaking the club up to go " all in " last season, followed by going full asshole mode in the off season moving Norris, Donaldson, Moss and Samardzija. But smartly adding lard ass Billy Butler, over the hill Ben Zobrist and just generally putting together a club that would be lucky to play .500 baseball. ( Great investment on extending Coco instead of Yoenis who wanted to stay )

Now here we are one of the worst teams in all of baseball, with all those talents ( Milone too ) helping other clubs instead of making ours competitive, Beane gets to use his crutch of " can't compete in an old stadium " and sell off what few pieces will interest other clubs.

Beane got a weak haul for Kazmir yesterday and Mark Purity called him out here.

Purdy: Beane raises white flag with deal - San Jose Mercury News

But our resident Beane apologist will come along soon and give us Pythagorean Theorem as the reason that we were just unlucky and that Beane is a baseball god and fans like myself that have seen this shit show year after year are wrong and know nothing.

#FireBeane

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

I don't have a problem with losing Norris over having Vogt.
Plus, who cares about Coco now that we have Billy Burns?

Donaldson hurt, but Graveman has shown potential, and the Barreto kid may pan out as well.

The one that hurt the most was losing Russell. Unfortunately that is going to be down there in Milton Bradley territory.

IDGAF about Somarzdjinal and Pummel. They both totally sucked and couldn't have had their worthless asses shipped out of town fast enough. I was mostly happy about the scorched earth policy on the team after the ultra-bed-shitting at the end of last year.

The biggest impediment to their success this year wasn't Beane, it was all the games lost due to injury. Griffen never made it back, Parker got re-hurt... and then the closer barely played at all. This team with Clippard as a setup man and Doolittle as Closer, plus having Griiffin & Parker all year instead of the newcomers could have been way different than what we saw. Graveman wasn't ready for prime time at the start of the season..and Hahn also on the DL? Venditte shows up, instantly kicks ass, and then 'poof' is hurt. You don't need a theorem to show you that kind of bad luck. Beane's biggest F'up this year was not getting another reliable middle reliever when it became clear that the pen was largely unreliable shit this year.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you haven't been around much this year, not sure why that would be DonyellFreak... But hey, welcome back!

If you HAD been around you would have seen repeated posts from me indicating I hoped Beane would give this team a chance to turn it around and make a 2012-esque run at the playoffs.People have been predicting these trades since the end of May, and I have been saying since then that they wouldn't happen until (at least) mid-July, though I hoped they wouldn't happen at all.

In the end, the team could put a hot enough streak together to convince Beane to wait it out, at least on the Kazmir trade. Zobrist and Clippard might not be far behind him, but, then again, they are still here aren't they?

Oh yeah, and no one said Beane is "a baseball god". He makes mistakes just like everyone else (Tim Hudson trade anyone?).

Now, all that said, I understand you are still upset about the trades Beane made last year, starting with Yoenis Cespedes and ending with all the off season moves. (Side note: This girl is probably still upset that Brett Lawrie doesn't play for the Blue Jays anymore too.) Why don't we take a look at what our roster would look like right now, and how history would be re-written, without those moves though?

Current roster:
C - Phegley/Vogt
1B - Davis/Canha/Vogt
2B - Zobrist/Sogard
3B - Lawrie
SS - Semien
LF - Fuld/Canha
CF - Burns
RF - Reddick
DH - Butler

SP1 - Gray
SP2 - Chavez
SP3 - Hahn
SP4 - Graveman
SP5 - Pomeranz/Bassitt
SU - Tyler Clippard
CL - Sean Doolittle (DL)

No Trades roster:
C - Norris/Vogt
1B - Moss/Freiman/Vogt
2B - Sogard
3B - Donaldson
SS - Addison Russell
LF - Cespedes
CF - Burns
RF - Reddick
DH - ?

SP1 - Gray
SP2 - Kazmir
SP3 - Chavez
SP4 - Milone
SP5 - ? Straily ?
SU - Otero/Cook/Abad/Rodriguez (?)
CL - Sean Doolittle (DL)

Yeah, before making this list and looking at the actual roster we would have been running last year, you could have definitely colored me a skeptic regarding the need for Lester, Samardzija and Hammel in us making the playoffs. Looking at it now, however, we would have finished out last year with Chavez, Milone, and Straily/Mills/Pomeranz behind Kazmir and Gray. That rotation doesn't get us into the playoffs, even with Cespedes still on the roster. We would have never been in the position to question leaving Lester in the game the get run on.

And this year? That rotation and bullpen wouldn't scare a fly. Moss is almost hitting below the Mendoza line, Russell is hitting .237 with a .669 OPS, and Freiman is below the Mendoza line in AAA... Yes, Donaldson and Cespedes would look good in the middle of that order, but Norris is hitting .230 (Phegley is actually better) and who would we run out there every day at DH? Do you think we would have still signed Butler (who you don't like anyway) to a $10 million per year deal while we were still paying Cespedes $10 million this year?

Anyway, all this to say, it is actually pretty easy to see (looking back) why the moves were actually necessary last year during the season and over the course of the off season. Yes, we actually would be worse off right now if Beane hadn't made those moves.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

I don't have a problem with losing Norris over having Vogt.
Plus, who cares about Coco now that we have Billy Burns?

Coco costs 11 Million this season, that hurts because the money could be much much better spent.

Donaldson hurt, but Graveman has shown potential, and the Barreto kid may pan out as well.

Can't move an MVP type player for that package, Graveman has been better since Zito helped him.

The one that hurt the most was losing Russell. Unfortunately that is going to be down there in Milton Bradley territory.

Russell and McKinley was a steep price to pay, then he doubled down and moved Yoenis which really hurt the lineup.

IDGAF about Somarzdjinal and Pummel. They both totally sucked and couldn't have had their worthless asses shipped out of town fast enough. I was mostly happy about the scorched earth policy on the team after the ultra-bed-shitting at the end of last year.

I don't care much about Shark or Hammel but Hammel was a FA and why trade two of your prospects for arms of that quality?

The biggest impediment to their success this year wasn't Beane, it was all the games lost due to injury. Griffen never made it back, Parker got re-hurt... and then the closer barely played at all.

Loser talk IMO, Griffen and Parker could and should not have been counted on for this season, every team is going to have guys get hurt some more than other but this is a .500 club at best with the roster Beane trotted out.

This team with Clippard as a setup man and Doolittle as Closer, plus having Griiffin & Parker all year instead of the newcomers could have been way different than what we saw. Graveman wasn't ready for prime time at the start of the season..and Hahn also on the DL? Venditte shows up, instantly kicks ass, and then 'poof' is hurt. You don't need a theorem to show you that kind of bad luck. Beane's biggest F'up this year was not getting another reliable middle reliever when it became clear that the pen was largely unreliable shit this year.

I agree with the last line, the middle of the pen is terrible so many AAA quality arms have been in games for us this season.

Beane had a club that left alone would have had a great shot last season and this one, instead we have a AAAA quality club to watch. Beane gets a pass because of the naritive of not having enough money, the park etc it's not true 11 million on Coco is terrible, same thing with Butler earning 10 Million this season. I know Oakland never lures top FA's but a guy like Nelson Cruz could have been added to the roster if we had offered a fair bit more money than Seattle did.

I'm sick of Beane and his rebuilds, it's time he takes another role with the club in my opinion.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that this is all on Beane. He has his f’ ups, but it’s amazing that this team is ever competitive. The stuff with ownership, the stadium and whatever should be the Giants’ market does have an effect. Top FA’s don’t want to come here, and even if they did, they wouldn’t get paid.
Yeah, Cespy,Moss,Donaldson... but the offense isn’t really the problem. The A’s are 5th in Runs/RBIs and tied for 4th in AVG in the AL. And the money wasted on Coco, Burns basically earned for 500K.

A's also have the top ERA in the AL. But the state of the relievers is probably what really doomed this team this year in addition to what you called my loser talk. 14 blown saves and all those losses in 1-run games. If they’d just kept Donaldson, they might’ve been a little better off, maybe could’ve ate Graveman’s innings up with Zito or something. But I'm sure the move was made because Beane probably didn't count on having Parker and Griffin back.

Clippard filling in for Doolittle was good, but he’s basically just a replacement for Gregerson. This corps went sour as the team started it’s losing ways in the 2nd half of last year. For that Beane can be blamed. They were right not to re-sign Balfour, but it’s like Jim Johnson infected the staff with bedshitting-cancer or something, and it remains this year. Finding starters, and offensive production hasn’t been a problem for the A’s. I wish Beane would use the little money he does get to build a rock solid relief corps. The other stuff I can basically live with.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CKn5UC3UsAA1TgJ.jpg

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately Milone's shit-fit cries to the minors cost us Milone. Vogt got sent down in favor of Barton before, but at least he didn't cry like a bitch about it.

Could've used him this year certainly over Fuld... but after the trade he ended up on the DL before the playoffs anyway.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but the stadium and overall experience for both the A's and the Raiders is pretty low. Going to the giants and 49'rs games was much better. Not only in the quality of the stadium, but also in what was available to do after the game. Go to a Giants game, then stick around and party a little at a nearby bar. Go to an A's game, and then get the fuck outta town ASAP.

Just my honest opinion as a Cubs/Bears fan who spent a decade in the bay area and went to many Giants/49'rs/Raiders/A's games including an ALCS game for the A's. I always had pretty good seats as well.

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beane had a club that left alone would have had a great shot last season and this one, instead we have a AAAA quality club to watch. Beane gets a pass because of the naritive of not having enough money, the park etc it's not true 11 million on Coco is terrible, same thing with Butler earning 10 Million this season. I know Oakland never lures top FA's but a guy like Nelson Cruz could have been added to the roster if we had offered a fair bit more money than Seattle did.

I'm sick of Beane and his rebuilds, it's time he takes another role with the club in my opinion.
Have you actually stopped to look at what the roster would look like without Beane's trades? It's pretty terrible IMO...

Isaiah4110

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who hurts more, Samardzija, Norris or Moss? Beane never should have gotten rid of them...

All-Stars.jpg

The loss of Donaldson is the only one really hurting the team. Cespedes hurts simply because we don't have Crisp starting in left like we should, leaving us with Fuld and Canha instead.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, Cespy dealt again...4th team in 2 years.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best team in baseball record wise then he started breaking the club up to go " all in " last season, followed by going full asshole mode in the off season moving Norris, Donaldson, Moss and Samardzija. But smartly adding lard ass Billy Butler, over the hill Ben Zobrist and just generally putting together a club that would be lucky to play .500 baseball. ( Great investment on extending Coco instead of Yoenis who wanted to stay )

Now here we are one of the worst teams in all of baseball, with all those talents ( Milone too ) helping other clubs instead of making ours competitive, Beane gets to use his crutch of " can't compete in an old stadium " and sell off what few pieces will interest other clubs.

Beane got a weak haul for Kazmir yesterday and Mark Purity called him out here.

Purdy: Beane raises white flag with deal - San Jose Mercury News

But our resident Beane apologist will come along soon and give us Pythagorean Theorem as the reason that we were just unlucky and that Beane is a baseball god and fans like myself that have seen this shit show year after year are wrong and know nothing.

#FireBeane
Edwin Jackson, Brett Anderson and Mike Fiers are powering your rotation. These are three guys no other front office in baseball would have given much thought to acquiring. Meanwhile, Sonny Gray is stinking poop fumes all over NYC. Beane is a HOFer.