• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12's best days are ahead

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Oklahoma and/or Texas leaving the Big12.

Why would they do that? Why would they go to the SEC and get lost in the shuffle?

They can be top dogs in the Big12. They can be and both have been top dogs in the 3 main
college sports. Football...Basketball and Baseball.

For umber of Bowl games...NCAA's in basketball and NCAA's in Baseball Texas is the undisputed
leader in college sports and Oklahoma is tied for second.

Texas has been to a combined 145 total Bowl games, Basketball NCAA playoffs and Baseball NCAA
playoffs. Oklahoma is tied for 2nd with Florida State with 117 appearances.

4th is North Carolina with 111. USC is 5th with 109. Alabama is 6th with 107. The best Big10
school is Ohio State at 11th with 99.

I don't see why Texas or OU would ever want to leave their own league.

They are blue bloods and if they each had 11-1 records like TCU and Baylor had a couple
of years ago, one of them would be in the playoffs...maybe both. The committee would never
eliminate both of them like they did TCU and Baylor.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For umber of Bowl games...NCAA's in basketball and NCAA's in Baseball Texas is the undisputed
leader in college sports and Oklahoma is tied for second.

Texas has been to a combined 145 total Bowl games, Basketball NCAA playoffs and Baseball NCAA
playoffs. Oklahoma is tied for 2nd with Florida State with 117 appearances.

Looks like you either did a lot of research or found a site that mentioned those particular statistics. Which was it?

Also, when you mention the basketball & baseball playoffs, how do you define "appearances"? Is it total number of games played in those tournaments or total individual seasons that they made the playoffs?

And, when it comes to the baseball playoffs, are you counting regionals & sub-regionals as well as the CWS, or just the World Series?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up the bonghorns post-season records for the past 10 years:

The football team has gone 4-3 in bowl games during that period, but just 1-1 in major bowls. Their last major bowl appearance was their 37-21 loss to Alabama in the 2009-10 BCS Championship game. They missed out on bowls in 2010, 2015 & 2016 seasons.

The basketball team has gone 3-8 in NCAA basketball playoff games in that time, and 3-9 overall in the post-season, with 5 first-round losses. Their was no post-season play in the 2016-17 season.

The baseball team has a 31-18 post-season mark in this time frame, with 4 regional titles, 1 super regional loss & 3 trips to the College World Series. The 'horns were 17-8 in CWS play, with one 0-2 quick exit in 2011 & a runner-up spot to LSU in 2009. They missed the post-season in 2012, 2013 & 2016, and haven't made it past the regionals since their 2014 run to the CWS.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like you either did a lot of research or found a site that mentioned those particular statistics. Which was it?

Also, when you mention the basketball & baseball playoffs, how do you define "appearances"? Is it total number of games played in those tournaments or total individual seasons that they made the playoffs?

And, when it comes to the baseball playoffs, are you counting regionals & sub-regionals as well as the CWS, or just the World Series?

What's a sub regional? I know we have conference tournaments, regionals, and super regionals, then the CWS, but I've never heard of sub regionals. :noidea:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up the bonghorns post-season records for the past 10 years:

The football team has gone 4-3 in bowl games during that period, but just 1-1 in major bowls. Their last major bowl appearance was their 37-21 loss to Alabama in the 2009-10 BCS Championship game. They missed out on bowls in 2010, 2015 & 2016 seasons.

The basketball team has gone 3-8 in NCAA basketball playoff games in that time, and 3-9 overall in the post-season, with 5 first-round losses. Their was no post-season play in the 2016-17 season.

The baseball team has a 31-18 post-season mark in this time frame, with 4 regional titles, 1 super regional loss & 3 trips to the College World Series. The 'horns were 17-8 in CWS play, with one 0-2 quick exit in 2011 & a runner-up spot to LSU in 2009. They missed the post-season in 2012, 2013 & 2016, and haven't made it past the regionals since their 2014 run to the CWS.

Even the most die hard Longhorn fan will not dispute that Texas has not been up to snuff for several years now. That said what happens if/when they do get their act together in football and basketball? There is no reason other than maybe piss poor leadership and bad hiring/support by that leadership that Texas should take a backseat to anyone in the major revenue sports and from what the Texas guys have said here that seems to have been the case.
FTR I think that Texas’ best (or at least far better than its been) days are ahead of it too and a good Texas/OU means a very strong Big12.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did the research. I started it around 20 years ago and just kept up with it.

Being selected for the NCAA's in Baseball and Basketbll is what I used. Any of the P5 schools that got a
bid to the NCAA's this season in basketball, got a year. Same with a Bowl game and it will be the
same with a baseball invite. I just track the Power 5 clubs. An appearance is a yearly selection not
total games played. That has differed by a wide margin over the years.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's a sub regional? I know we have conference tournaments, regionals, and super regionals, then the CWS, but I've never heard of sub regionals. :noidea:

I've heard of sub-regionals. I forget where but I've heard of them.

Baseball has changed a lot. They used to have a District tourney. The South always held theirs at
Gastonia, NC. There were only 29 total teams invited then..

First couple of years there were only 8 teams invited. George Bush Senior played in the '39
CWS. He was a first baseman for Yale.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spooners are in better shape, overall, having gone 5-5 in the football postseason, with a 3-4 record in major bowl games; although they are 0-3 in playoff & BCS title games during that period. Oklahoma has gone 9-6 in NCAA basketball tournament play, making it to the Elite 8 in 2008-09, the Sweet 16 in 2014-15 & the Final Four in 2015-16. They also bowed out in their opening game in 2013, 2014 & 2018, and failed to make the tournament in 2010 through 2012 & 2017.

Oklahoma was 18-15 in the baseball playoffs, with three regional wins & one trip to the College World Series, where they went 1-2 in 2010. They failed to make the postseason in 2014, 2015 & 2016, and failed to make it out of the regionals in 2008, 2009 & 2017.

Oklahoma could probably survive a move to the SEC & find their bearings in fairly short order. It wouldn't be that easy for Texas at this time.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas and Ou will stay in the big 12, since the conference makes more money than the ACC and pac 12. Also sports are doing fine, had a team in the college playoff, final 4, and we'll see about the CWS.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are blue bloods and if they each had 11-1 records like TCU and Baylor had a couple
of years ago, one of them would be in the playoffs...maybe both. The committee would never
eliminate both of them like they did TCU and Baylor.
:dingdingding:

I said the same back in 2014 and everyone called me a conspiracy theorist. If it had been Texas or OU, that "lack of a 13th data point...aka CCG...would have been mute...just like it was for Ohio State in 16 and Bama in 17. Has nothing to do with conspiracy. Has to do with people being human...and last time I checked that is what the CFP committee is made up of. And those names on jerseys mean a lot...intentionally or unintentionally.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the most die hard Longhorn fan will not dispute that Texas has not been up to snuff for several years now. That said what happens if/when they do get their act together in football and basketball? There is no reason other than maybe piss poor leadership and bad hiring/support by that leadership that Texas should take a backseat to anyone in the major revenue sports and from what the Texas guys have said here that seems to have been the case.
FTR I think that Texas’ best (or at least far better than its been) days are ahead of it too and a good Texas/OU means a very strong Big12.
I'm a pessimist. About the time the rusty cows get their shit together, the dirt burglers will probably pull another John Blake hire or something similar.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a pessimist. About the time the rusty cows get their shit together, the dirt burglers will probably pull another John Blake hire or something similar.

Sorry but Riley is kicking ass and taking names. They’ll be around for a while

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You surely can't be serious

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see it as Riley and Herman taking that rivalry to a great level from crootin right on into championship level football for both but to be fair, its still early.
Wasnt Blake a probation hire? Or am I thinking Gary something or another?