• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big stretch of games

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either scenario, WVU's football program loses.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, this year should never have been a make or break season.

When WVU is making the kind of money it's making today as a Big 12 member, there is no reason to worry about the costs of letting Dana go last year.

If Dana has a terrible season, he will be fired. The new coach will take over a program with average recruits, and the threat of losing some on the current commit list. This poor recruiting class will impact the program in a huge manner in future years.

If Dana has a great season, he will either leverage his success to get more money in a raise than he would have earned last year... with more guaranteed money, or he will get a sweet offer from another school and leave. If he stays at WVU, it is unlikely he will get any top rated recruits to sign as most of them are already committed. This poor recruiting class will impact the program in a huge manner in future years.

One WVU recruiting experts opinion differs:

"Winning will bring in a big-time recruit or two. Winning will also lead to an extension, which will also lead to a recruit or two. A ten-win season could swing upwards of four four-star type recruits."

As far as a change (should things go that way), it all depends on the hire. If the season is good and DH leaves then people's hunger to win is satisfied for a year after a run of so so / bad results and the new coach gets a little more patience from fans and if its a solid hire then he is off and running with good momentum. If its bad then we cut bait with a coach that will obviously never get us to where we want to be in the Big12 and hope Lyons makes a great hire with the HC and staff with the money he saved from not firing Dana last year.

No guarantee either scenario imo.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... that's a relief.

Does this recruiting expert have any inside info on who some of these 4 stars might be? Looks like we need a lot of help in order to be competitive.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... that's a relief.

Does this recruiting expert have any inside info on who some of these 4 stars might be? Looks like we need a lot of help in order to be competitive.
Took it from Chris Anderson over at 247 who runs the site, no reason to think that he doesn't :noidea:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One WVU recruiting experts opinion differs:

"Winning will bring in a big-time recruit or two. Winning will also lead to an extension, which will also lead to a recruit or two. A ten-win season could swing upwards of four four-star type recruits."

As far as a change (should things go that way), it all depends on the hire. If the season is good and DH leaves then people's hunger to win is satisfied for a year after a run of so so / bad results and the new coach gets a little more patience from fans and if its a solid hire then he is off and running with good momentum. If its bad then we cut bait with a coach that will obviously never get us to where we want to be in the Big12 and hope Lyons makes a great hire with the HC and staff with the money he saved from not firing Dana last year.

No guarantee either scenario imo.
Looks like a whole lot of hoping going on here. When the new coach is hired, I do not think I will be in the patience line. 3 years and we better be in the Title Game of whatever league we may be in. Isn't that the new WVU fan mindset? Aren't we entitled to that with our uppitty fan base? No excuses because we now will have the coach in place to take us to the promise land.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a coaching change kill Virginia Tech? I mean, they parted ways with a HOF coach and hired a HC that only had HC experience at a lower level. Surely I'm reading their info wrong, says they are winning and having a good year recruiting and about everyone knew that Beams was on the way out...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a coaching change kill Virginia Tech? I mean, they parted ways with a HOF coach and hired a HC that only had HC experience at a lower level. Surely I'm reading their info wrong, says they are winning and having a good year recruiting and about everyone knew that Beams was on the way out...
It sure is funny that the guys who screamed for a former HC to be fired after three nine win seasons are now all on board and wanting to retain a 7 win HC in year 6, saying how a coaching change will destroy the program. The right coach at the right time is the key to winning. Some say it is purely talent on the field, but I say coaching is more important than just talented kids. Look at some of the elite big name teams, ND struggled with wrong coaches, is anyone doubtful that they had talented kids? Alabama was mediocre for a time, yet they had blue chip talent all over the field. Ohio State after they forced Tressel out, still had talent, yet went 6-6, brought in Meyer and ran the table.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure is funny that the guys who screamed for a former HC to be fired after three nine win seasons are now all on board and wanting to retain a 7 win HC in year 6, saying how a coaching change will destroy the program. The right coach at the right time is the key to winning. Some say it is purely talent on the field, but I say coaching is more important than just talented kids. Look at some of the elite big name teams, ND struggled with wrong coaches, is anyone doubtful that they had talented kids? Alabama was mediocre for a time, yet they had blue chip talent all over the field. Ohio State after they forced Tressel out, still had talent, yet went 6-6, brought in Meyer and ran the table.

I loved Coach Stew as a man and motivator but do you really think that he and his coaching staff would have won more games than DH in the Big XII? :nono:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... that's a relief.

Sounds like some of you have Dana Blinders on. If we do change, please don't be like WVU DAD and complain about it for the next 5 years.

Signing a contract extension only really helps if the coach keeps winning. We could easily be 2 and 2 right now with Dana and WVU locked up under a new contract for another 7 years. A bad year could do much more to hurt recruiting than a potential contract issue. With Gibby being one of our best recruiters, he can at least offer some stability for incoming freshman and will also serve as a transition if another coach is brought in.

Extending Dana is a big investment. It will cost the school more than the cost of the new baseball stadium to extend Dana. We have been a middle of the pack team in the weakest of the power 5 conferences under Dana. Is this satisfactory? Was 9-3 satisfactory for us in a non power 5 conference under Stew?

That is why I say this is and should be Dana's make or break year. If he cannot break through his ceiling this year in an off year for the conference, he probably never will. Texas and Oklahoma will be back with a vengeance. We need to beat them now while they are down.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My God! That is the same kind of bullshit I'd expect from DAD! Firing Dana and Frank retiring are two completely different scenarios.

VT had the #56 ranked class in '16... according to Scout.

Nice to see VT rack up those wins over ECU and Liberty. UNC plays defense about as well as TT.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like some of you have Dana Blinders on. If we do change, please don't be like WVU DAD and complain about it for the next 5 years.

Signing a contract extension only really helps if the coach keeps winning. We could easily be 2 and 2 right now with Dana and WVU locked up under a new contract for another 7 years. A bad year could do much more to hurt recruiting than a potential contract issue. With Gibby being one of our best recruiters, he can at least offer some stability for incoming freshman and will also serve as a transition if another coach is brought in.

Extending Dana is a big investment. It will cost the school more than the cost of the new baseball stadium to extend Dana. We have been a middle of the pack team in the weakest of the power 5 conferences under Dana. Is this satisfactory? Was 9-3 satisfactory for us in a non power 5 conference under Stew?

That is why I say this is and should be Dana's make or break year. If he cannot break through his ceiling this year in an off year for the conference, he probably never will. Texas and Oklahoma will be back with a vengeance. We need to beat them now while they are down.

Yeah... that is the short sighted perspective that I've grown to love among WVU fans.

Obviously, if you give the HC an extension... it means you can't fire him. Oops.... what happened last year at UGA? Oh yeah. What happened at Illinois? Oh yeah...

I don't have any kind of blinders. I support the HC of my favorite team. It was no different when Billy was strolling the sidelines. No different when Rich was strolling.

Whomever is the HC of the old gold and blue... he'll have my support.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a DC, Gibby is not out there recruiting like he used to be for Rich or for Dana when he first came back to Morgantown.

As a result of stupid shit policy, our AD created a situation which proved to be costly in terms of recruiting. Our best recruiter was Galloway... followed by Seider. Galloway is gone. We now have some inexperienced Div 1 coaches in Blue and Caponi out there on the recruiting trail trying to outduel neighboring schools who can use our HC's current status against us.

That's why our recruiting is at an all-time low under Dana...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... that is the short sighted perspective that I've grown to love among WVU fans.

Obviously, if you give the HC an extension... it means you can't fire him. Oops.... what happened last year at UGA? Oh yeah. What happened at Illinois? Oh yeah...

I don't have any kind of blinders. I support the HC of my favorite team. It was no different when Billy was strolling the sidelines. No different when Rich was strolling.

Whomever is the HC of the old gold and blue... he'll have my support.
You know that there was a group of us who supported Stew. There was a group that fell off early and were acting like Poppy, and in some cases GR, does now with Dana. None of those guys who bashed Stew early in his tenure are even on here. It's a shame to think that there are some on this board who actually think a big name is going to come in and change the program. Keep recycling through coaches and we will be like Pitt until Narduzzi showed up. I'm not a fan of recycling coaches every 3-5 years hoping that you hit it out of the park with the next hire.

Call it settling, if you want, but every excuse that fans had with Dana's coaching have almost all been eliminated. Now the excuse is he has not won the conference. Texas and OU are down. Texas is down and Charlie is hanging on by a thread. Until a high profile coach comes back, or one of the Native sons, we will keep a revolving door coaching position. No Balls should have cut ties earlier if he wanted to put his mark on the program. Especially if the concern was to save money. Not sure why that would be a big concern as you have said, a contract could be written with termination clauses in it. Can't wait to see who replaces Dana. Can't wait for the next 3-5 years with the new coach. Hopefully it is money well spent and worth the wait. God knows I've been waiting this long, what's another 5 years, then another 5 years, then another 5 years.....then hopefully I'll have another 5 years, then another 5 years.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is that Dana wins the next couple big, gets his contract and wins the conference.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that there was a group of us who supported Stew. There was a group that fell off early and were acting like Poppy, and in some cases GR, does now with Dana. None of those guys who bashed Stew early in his tenure are even on here. It's a shame to think that there are some on this board who actually think a big name is going to come in and change the program. Keep recycling through coaches and we will be like Pitt until Narduzzi showed up. I'm not a fan of recycling coaches every 3-5 years hoping that you hit it out of the park with the next hire.

Call it settling, if you want, but every excuse that fans had with Dana's coaching have almost all been eliminated. Now the excuse is he has not won the conference. Texas and OU are down. Texas is down and Charlie is hanging on by a thread. Until a high profile coach comes back, or one of the Native sons, we will keep a revolving door coaching position. No Balls should have cut ties earlier if he wanted to put his mark on the program. Especially if the concern was to save money. Not sure why that would be a big concern as you have said, a contract could be written with termination clauses in it. Can't wait to see who replaces Dana. Can't wait for the next 3-5 years with the new coach. Hopefully it is money well spent and worth the wait. God knows I've been waiting this long, what's another 5 years, then another 5 years, then another 5 years.....then hopefully I'll have another 5 years, then another 5 years.
No, Holgorsen's issues have NOT been dealt with, STILL play calling changes in the red zone and drives still stall. WVU STILL can not cover a kick or punt. We still waste time outs, we still manage clock poorly at the end of halves.. Lyons offered Holgorsen an extension that was fair, Holgorsen turned it down!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes sir! Me... you... Slaton... Another... all supported Stewart!

If Dana is fired, I'll hope like hell his replacement has great success. I don't route for the man who is HC... I route for the HC. If the HC of my favorite team is having success, then it means my favorite team is having success.

Unless WVU gives up trying to play big boy football, I expect to see one season of mediocrity followed by another. I saw this when WVU was a member of the original BE.

In my lifetime, WVU had two years it went undefeated in the regular season. The '93 season was against a fairly difficult schedule. The '88 season was a joke! Something like 5 of 11 teams finished 3-8. The 2007 team could have been special, but lack of depth at QB reared an ugly head that season. Without Pat White, the team lost two games.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Holgorsen's issues have NOT been dealt with, STILL play calling changes in the red zone and drives still stall. WVU STILL can not cover a kick or punt. We still waste time outs, we still manage clock poorly at the end of halves.. Lyons offered Holgorsen an extension that was fair, Holgorsen turned it down!!!!
So you want to be predictable ala RR with Slaton left, Slaton right, bubble screen. Gotcha! I haven't watch a game, not just WVU games, where I haven't questioned a coach's play calling. That will never change for any coach. Jeff Fisher's fake punt deep in his territory was one. The Steelers going for 2 when they didn't have to is another. Brian Kelly lining up in a shotgun formation during a hurricane was another. Don't kid yourself and give Dana all the credit. We won't rehash some of your boy Stew's brilliance while at the helm.

Since you are throwing spaghetti at the wall again to see if it sticks and you do not read stats, here you go:
Punt returns (opponents) 5, return yards: 39, TDs: 0. This is off of a total of 16 punts. Amazing! What a novel idea to use the sideline as a defender and even kick it out of bounds to help your game.
Kickoffs: 15 kickoffs with a total of 388 return yards and no TDs. Opponents averaging 25.87 yards/return.
Not sure which game you were watching were Dana mismanaged time outs or had poor clock management, but if it was the KSU game, that would have been Bill Snyder - the storied HC of KSU.
Lyons offered Dana a contract and Dana turned it down. Do you know why, because he can. He'll go somewhere as a HC or OC while we go through another 5 years holding our nuts. I just hope No Balls knows what he is doing because he won't be able to hold his nuts if he makes the wrong decision on WVU's future. Sitting here holding my nuts eagerly anticipating who our next HC will be next year. Can't wait!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Zone Scoring since 2008

Year Score % TD % FG%
2008 69% 46% 23%
2009 78 63 14
2010 75 58 16
2011 88 67 21
2012 83 69 13
2013 80 52 27
2014 80 52 28
2015 82 56 25
2016 77 44 23

In reality the redone scoring has not been as bad as perceived compared to historical data...needs improvement and I believe we will see it.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the RR coming home guys...are you paying attention to the dumpster fire going on in Zona?