• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big boss oil less fryer

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyine have experience with these? I was just given one and am pretty stoked. Can I make fries without oil? Crispy chicken? Veggies? Looks like I can dehydrate fruits

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother has one called the Big Easy and he likes it. I'll have to ask him what all he has cooked in it.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard of an oilless fryer. It sounds amazing.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother has one called the Big Easy and he likes it. I'll have to ask him what all he has cooked in it.
THis is what he has:

The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer | Char-Broil

th

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Big Easy, and I absolutely love it. It's marketed as an "oil-less turkey fryer" because that's kind of what the finished product turns out most similar to, but in reality it's an infra red roaster. I don't really fully understand the science behind why it works differently,but it definitely does.

It does awesome turkeys. The skin will be perfectly golden brown and crunchy and salty (if you add salt obviously) and just perfect. Unlike a deep fryer you can use a rub on the outside. But like a deep fryer the inside stays super moist and juicy, and you can use injections like a deep fried turkey without really messing it up like it can with a roasted turkey.

Personally I think it does even better roasts. Just grab a big chunk o meat and throw it in there. Beef or pork, both work really well. I haven't done a leg of lamb yet, but want to try that soon. Just a spice rub on the outside is all I ever do.

I actually just did bacon in it the other day, and it might be the best cooked bacon I have ever had. And I've heard it does wings, ribs, and a couple other things really good too, but you need to buy special accessories or MacGyver it a bit. It does weird baked potatoes, I like them more, my dad hates them, my brothers like them less than regular oven baked potatoes. You can throw them at the bottom of the basket and all the juices drip on them and give extra flavor, or just throw them on top.

2 big negatives. You HAVE to have a thermometer. Either an instant read to check a couple times, or a probe to just stick in and cook with it in there. Different temperatures, air pressures, wind speed, etc have big impacts on how long things take to cook. That really sucks, because I have used mine to cook our last 2 thanksgiving turkeys, our Christmas prime rib/standing rib roast this year, which turned out so well that everyone asked for it for Easter too. Hard to plan a big meal like that around a meal time that ended up being 30 mins earlier than I had planned for once, and 45 minutes later than expected another time.

Other big negative is that it gets so hot that you can't use any sugar, or anything with sugar on the outside of what you're cooking. The sugar just burns. So no glazes and can't use any spice rubs that have sugar or brown sugar in them.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about veggies/fruits? or french fries?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any idea about yours. But with The Big Easy that I have there is no temperature control. It's on or off. And on is extremely hot. I don't really grill any fruit, so I can't comment on that. But I would guess as long as you watched it really close you could throw something in there for a couple minutes. It's nowhere close to being a food dehydrator or anything though.

French fries would probably be really good. But it comes with one big wire basket, and food touching the metal doesn't really crisp up nicely like the stuff open to the air. Anything touching other food doesn't really cook at all on the outside. It's not a mesh basket like a deep fryer either, it's more like a couple cost hangers bent together to about the size of a 15 pound turkey. Basically what it comes down to is if you left things stock, you would be able to cook 7-10 individual french fries at a time. So you kind of need to get a feel for how it works/cooks and then see if you can macguyver up a solution.

there used to be a forum just for people who used one, but they stopped supporting it and it died.

There was also something similar that was called the big easy cooker, smoker, griller or something like that. It was a bigger unit that did more and worked differently. They always got directed to a different part of the forum because nothing was interchangeable about them. Not the way they cooked or the recipes or anything. So if your big boss is more like that, then ignore everything I said. My experience is only with "the big easy oil less turkey fryer"

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tried it yesterday, definitely different, i kinda like it

gonna try the fruit dehydrator this weekend

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big boss

Big Easy
Char-Broil Big Easy 16,000 BTU Oilless Propane Gas Outdoor Turkey Fryer-12101480 - The Home Depot

I finally looked it up, and they're nothing alike at all. So I guess completely ignore everything I said in this thread. Mine is an outdoor only propane powered monster intended to cook whole 16 pound turkeys in about 2 hours. Yours is a plug in kitchen appliance about the size of a toaster oven intended to cook a handful of french fries.

Let us know how your thingy works for you, it actually looks pretty interesting.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i got it as a gift, like i said only did chicken so far, and not shabby at all

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the girlfriend is tlaking about getting one of these.

so they work? They are good stuff?