• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beyond BK, Are Any of Our Assistants Worth Anything?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know BVG needed to go, last year. But beyond Kelly, do we really have any assistants that are any good?

Defense:

I think every unit ever coached by Mike Elston has suffered. When he was DL coach, they under-performed, now he's LB coach and they also have under-performed. The coaches rave about his recruiting prowess or, at least his organizational skills when it comes to recriting, so maybe he has some value in that regard, but I don't think he's a good X's and O's guy.

Todd Lyght is ND royalty. He can flash his NC ring and his Superbowl experience. He harkens back to when ND was a national powerhouse, but I am not sold on his ability to teach kids the game.

Jeff Burris is a behind-the-scenes "advisor" but I don't know what value he brings other than marketing the program's legacy.

Gilmore is part of the BK tree, but he has developed DL at other stops, with far less talent to choose from, but I haven't really seen any great development yet from our DL.

Offense:

Sanford: was supposed to come in and be the outside voice of reason. There's no evidence he has brought any of that. Seems like he's in lock step with the rest of the BK coaching tree. Whatever value he supposedly brings seems to have been drowned out by BK's penchant for doing things his way.

Heistand: Probably the most consistent in terms of producing NFL talent. The OL unit seemed to under-perform, but they are well-stocked depth wise, one of the few spots on the team that are. But it seems that his road graders are not allowed to plow people. Its more of a zone blocking scheme with an over-emphasis on pass blocking, but they haven't been as good at pass blocking as in years past.

Autry Denson: Also ND royalty, but unlike Lyght, I think he is teaching his kids skills AND is a lights out recruiter.

Denbrock: He's Kelly 2.0.

Booker: Where the hell have our TE's gone. We WERE TE Univ. Special teams, need I say more. Although regarding the latter, I suspect that's an institutional failing. I don't think BK puts the time in on special teams. Booker might have some recruiting value, but, like Elston, is just not an X's and O's guy.

Assuming the worst case scenario (Kelly stays), I think he would be better off bringing in as many outside voices as he can. While there may be cries for continuity and too much clashing of philosophies could damage the locker room, etc., but the chorous of "yes" men isn't really working either.