• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Rock album of all time

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
Hotel California
Rumours
Who's Next

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was never a real Beatles fan especially pre acid dropping Beatles. The early stuff was all bubble gum garbage.
Your credibility was gone right there. The biggest entertainment act the world had ever known and the fact that you didn't at least appreciate the gravity of what they meant, not only to popular music, but to popular culture is astounding.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your credibility was gone right there. The biggest entertainment act the world had ever known and the fact that you didn't at least appreciate the gravity of what they meant, not only to popular music, but to popular culture is astounding.
The phuq?

My favorite hit was John Lennon hitting the pavement. Overrated POS

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about the best as that is strictly personal opinion, but to me the first album by "The Doors" was the most incredible album ever released. So much on that album was ground breaking, like Grace Slick said, "Light My Fire is as close as you can get to sex without actually doing it."

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Shoot Shoot" from Strangers in the Night rattles the walls in my house at least once a week. There is not a bad cut on that album. I always felt that UFO was a much better live act than anything they produced in the studio.

I saw them twice, live, back in the day. You talk about decibel-hungry ... HOLY SHIT! Loudest band I ever saw ... the damn rafters at the Morris Civic Auditorium were crumbling for the 90+ minute set. Peeps were actually leaving cuz they thought the roof was gonna come down.

And, agree ... not a bad song on this album. My fave was always "Love to Love", but the whole album just friggen rawx!

Last time I saw them, Michael Schenker had a broken lower leg in a cast so he had to sit in a chair practically the whole show. He had a fifth of something (prolly Jack Daniels) that he kept chuggin on the whole time. By the time it got to the solo in "Love to Love" he crept outta that chair and just went to town ... place went ape shit.

Rock Bottom for me. One of the greatest guitar rifs in rock, and the live version on Strangers in the Night features a kick ass lead from Schenker. He is one of the all time underrated greats. Too bad that he struggled so much with the booze. It screwed up his career pretty bad.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they were an over rated band in the right place at the right time that is the simple truth and that does not make them a great band. And there early stuff was very very bubble gum pop music if you think otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in no particular order

Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
The Doors - The Doors
Zeppelin I, II, IV or Physical Graffiti
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they were an over rated band in the right place at the right time that is the simple truth and that does not make them a great band. And there early stuff was very very bubble gum pop music if you think otherwise you have no idea what you are talking about.
They changed our culture and dominated popular music. Whatever they did, and it was constantly changing, was considered "cool". It was cool because the Beatles said it was cool. I remember Lennon's quote when EMI told them the radio will not play "Hey Jude" because it is a 7-minute song. Lennon said "They will if its us" and he was right. Their popularity and control of what they did was unprecedented in any kind of music genre. A completely self-contained rock band, they wrote, sang, played and produced their own music. Never done before. They changed everything for everybody who followed.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They changed our culture and dominated popular music. Whatever they did, and it was constantly changing, was considered "cool". It was cool because the Beatles said it was cool. I remember Lennon's quote when EMI told them the radio will not play "Hey Jude" because it is a 7-minute song. Lennon said "They will if its us" and he was right. Their popularity and control of what they did was unprecedented in any kind of music genre. A completely self-contained rock band, they wrote, sang, played and produced their own music. Never done before. They changed everything for everybody who followed.
So right place right time I agree, with that they did not create the evolution of rock that took place in the 50s they were just a cog in the rock and roll wheel. And I never once said they did not influence others because they did but their early stuff was very much pop garbage that is what I said from the outset and I stand by that. Songs like

I want to hold your hand
Love Me Do
I saw her standing there

They got interesting and broadened there musical catalog once they around 65 when they were less about pleasing teenie boppers and more about their musical musings. Basically from 57 to 64 they were as I stated mostly bubble gum pop, and that is what they needed to be at the time doesn't mean it was good.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So right place right time I agree, with that they did not create the evolution of rock that took place in the 50s they were just a cog in the rock and roll wheel. And I never once said they did not influence others because they did but their early stuff was very much pop garbage that is what I said from the outset and I stand by that. Songs like

I want to hold your hand
Love Me Do
I saw her standing there

They got interesting and broadened there musical catalog once they around 65 when they were less about pleasing teenie boppers and more about their musical musings. Basically from 57 to 64 they were as I stated mostly bubble gum pop, and that is what they needed to be at the time doesn't mean it was good.
What else would you expect from 20-year olds? Especially when they still were not in control of what they were allowed to do? It was all uncharted territory for a band and they were under a lot of restrictions. By the way, I love "I Saw Her Standing There"; great rock and roll tune.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What else would you expect from 20-year olds? Especially when they still were not in control of what they were allowed to do? It was all uncharted territory for a band and they were under a lot of restrictions. By the way, I love "I Saw Her Standing There"; great rock and roll tune.
Not disagreeing as I said they got a lot more interesting later in their career. I think I stated that early on they were pop bubble gum I still think that is true.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not disagreeing as I said they got a lot more interesting later in their career. I think I stated that early on they were pop bubble gum I still think that is true.
Fair enough.