• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best muscle car of the 70's

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1972_Plymouth_Gran_Fury_-_Flickr_-_denizen24_%282%29.jpg

Pretty Damn far away from a muscle car, but I've always liked the ugliness of the '72 Plymouth Fury Coupe.
I was of the opinion that Plymouths got ugly in the early 70s and stayed ugly until their demise...

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. I'll have to read about that. I was always amazed how Fords and GMs looked so much different in their Euro counterparts. One of those could be my next weird daily driver when I get sick of the Mustang.

Sez here the Pontiac Banshee was the inspiration: Opel GT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you should get one juice .. i had fun with the one I had ..

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of concept cars did you ever see the AMX/3 concept car, never saw production

AMX3-1.jpg

Never have seen that. Looks radical for American Motors.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when they turned shitty cars into something bad ass.

http://SportsHoopla.com/mv9yodz

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's no Pacer...

amc-pacer-x.jpg

By the way...I love that someone splurged for rims on his Pacer.

When I was stationed in Denver for tech school a buddy had a purple Spacer Pacer. Seemed appropriate since we spent all our free time riding around getting high.......... in the Colorados :nod:

Years later my mother had a yellow Pacer wagon (sorta) that had the fake wood paneling on the sides :L

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My second car was a Mercury Zephyr Z7, looked a bit like this one:

Mercury_Zephyr_Z7.jpg

Not sure where Ford/Mercury was going with this model (Fairmont/Zephyr), as it wasn't very muscley (had an in-line six), but it was a coupe -- like a shrunken version of the 70's Thunderbird that had gotten so huge. Mine was fairly durable; I tried to blow that motor every other weekend so I could get something else. It had one of those knocks that kept going for a few minutes after you turned it off. You could turn the key back to "On" and it would fire back up. Sometimes, the only thing I could do was turn it off in-gear and then put it in park.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Are you speaking of Drag racing? If you are JohnRandle, that happened already and yes I was ready. Matt Hagan picked up where he left off last season taking down Ron Capps for the win in FC. I wish Allen Johnson and the Dodge boys would get their Darts going because they are getting owned by the Summit Camaros again. I am going to the Phoneix race next week-end when the NHRA boys come to town.

I guess I read the schedule wrong..
I turned it on last weekend expecting to see Pomona, and it was Phoenix.
Yeah Hagan is starting out nice.
I don't think the Summit Camaros are the Chevys that need to be feared..
Do you attend that race every year?
I plan on heading to Phoenix one of these years, because I'll have a place to stay while there, and I want to check out a track other than Brainerd .

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 13340

64 Pontiac banshee Roadster concept
64-pontiac-banshee-roadster-jpg.13340

The Pontiac Banshee was a John Delorean concept car.
He was way ahead of his time.
The General Motors President wouldn't allow him to produce it due to his fear that it would compete with the Corvette, which it would have.
It would have had 4 wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, and lots of horsepower, although Delorean's vision of a european sports car would have put Pontiacs straight 6 in it. He said it handled way better with that engine in it.

It would have blown up the Corvette.
GM pussies couldn't handle it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I read the schedule wrong..
I turned it on last weekend expecting to see Pomona, and it was Phoenix.
Yeah Hagan is starting out nice.
I don't think the Summit Camaros are the Chevys that need to be feared..
Do you attend that race every year?
I plan on heading to Phoenix one of these years, because I'll have a place to stay while there, and I want to check out a track other than Brainerd .
I agree. Hagan with Dickie Venables as CC is really come out of the shoots with guns a blazin'. Two races, two wins. I missed the Phoenix Race again because I had to move. I was planning on going and then got behind in moving. I'll try again next year. We shall see how DS Racing does in Florida coming up.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
64-pontiac-banshee-roadster-jpg.13340

The Pontiac Banshee was a John Delorean concept car.
He was way ahead of his time.
The General Motors President wouldn't allow him to produce it due to his fear that it would compete with the Corvette, which it would have.
It would have had 4 wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, and lots of horsepower, although Delorean's vision of a european sports car would have put Pontiacs straight 6 in it. He said it handled way better with that engine in it.

It would have blown up the Corvette.
GM pussies couldn't handle it.

LOL..Shelby already did that years ago...
I'm not a big fan of the Corvette, but the independent rear suspension was huge in their development. It kept the tires on the ground for sure.