• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Ball League - one spot left to draft

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without getting into the specifics, here is my current squad, and players I like the most still available.
asking folks to chime in where they think I should spend my last pick that can be used on a RB/WR, and who they think I should be praying will fall to me for my QB2

12tm, .5 PPR, 4pt passing TDs, 6pt rush/rec TDs, standard yardage scoring set up with no bonus
Roster restrictions: can't have more than 3 QB, 2 of bench spots HAVE to be used on TE/K/DST, so essentially, I have 5 spots on my bench for QB/RB/WR

11th round is starting right now, and I have the 11th pick

Starters:
M Stafford
J Ajayi
M Ingram
J Nelson
J Landry
T Kelce
Marty Bryant
K - still need to draft
DST - still need to draft

7 bench spots:
D Martin
A Abdullah
D Jackson
BN - QB2 still need to draft
BN - RB or WR??? or QB3 since I was last to draft QB1?

BN - TE/K/DST (will be TE)
BN - TE/K/DST (will be DST) - not taking a backup kicker, just don't care enough about the position to cover 1 bye week

Top Players Remaining:
Dalton, Tyrod, Palmer, Wentz, Bortles
Perine, Lat Murray, Rawls, Gio, Hunt, packers rookie RBs, Mack, White, Sims
Marv Jones, Ginn, Cobb, Perriman, Gabriel
Ertz, Doyle

ask if you think a player should be available and I don't have them listed. With this being best ball, I've narrowed my WR list to some HR hitters that might disappear 1 wk, then blow it up the next. Figured that's a better gamble than a middling talent that moves the chains for their team.

all thoughts/comments are welcome from any posters, even ones I don't agree with, I still value your opinions, whether they line up with mine or not.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell happened to Marvin Jones the second half of the season last year? He started out on fire.

Did anyone else realize that Randall Cobb has only had 1 good year out of 6 tries? Geez.

How fast is your round going to go?

Tyrod, Wentz, Dalton would be the QBs I'd target. All have jobs and all have upside. The Eagles entirely revamped the offense for Carson.

Murray would seem to be decent in this format with the goalline carries. But that Oline last year was just dreadful. I might lean Mack of that group.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How fast is your round going to go?

slow draft over email

I'll pick later this evening at the earliest (2-3 hrs from now, maybe 5-6 hrs from now)
most likely tomorrow AM though

As to the WRs - Ginn or Gabriel is where I'm leaning if I go that route - love being able to score the random 100yd 2 TD game that this speedsters get 2x per season without having to put them in my lineup.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should have at least 2 QBs on the bench for best ball... You don't need a backup TE...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, i would much prefer a backup kicker and backup defender over a backup TE...

whats the chances of a backup TE outscoring Kelce?? not high... basically it is only to protect from injury.... but honestly, a TE of the talent you can get now will unlikely average more than 8 points with .5 PPR...

Last edited:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very surprised how small the bench is for a best ball league...

is there in season managing??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is best ball

won't speak for this particular league... But basically it is a suicide league, where the starters for the week are chosen after the week ends... whoever scores more points is who you start...

so for example if you can only start one TE, and you have Gronk and OJ Howard, OJ Howard would start every week he outscores Gronk...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
won't speak for this particular league... But basically it is a suicide league, where the starters for the week are chosen after the week ends... whoever scores more points is who you start...

so for example if you can only start one TE, and you have Gronk and OJ Howard, OJ Howard would start every week he outscores Gronk...
got yah

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very surprised how small the bench is for a best ball league...

is there in season managing??

no in season managing, and once we started the draft, I realized that it was supposed to be bigger benches, or at least that was how most of the other ones are set up.
Too late now, but we'll be tweaking this year over year. Last year it was just like our suicide league, this is 1st time best ball.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no in season managing, and once we started the draft, I realized that it was supposed to be bigger benches, or at least that was how most of the other ones are set up.
Too late now, but we'll be tweaking this year over year. Last year it was just like our suicide league, this is 1st time best ball.

not sure if the bench is too small or if you are starting too many players, or if it is just too many restrictions... Most likely a little bit of all 3... Part of the fun of a best ball is to draft crazy long shots... kind of hard to do that with all your restrictions...

But under your rules, i would definitely have my last 6 picks be QB,QB, D,D,K,K

in that order... no need for the backup TE

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should have at least 2 QBs on the bench for best ball... You don't need a backup TE...

Never played best ball, but wouldn't you want multiple TEs to get a TD out of the position most weeks?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never played best ball, but wouldn't you want multiple TEs to get a TD out of the position most weeks?

if he drafted the 2nd TE earlier, sure... But TEs are a pretty weak position... The TE that could be gotten now is the 13th-24th best ranked TE... Chances of that TE doing better than Kelce any given week is not too high...

While kickers and defense because of there inconsistency the week to week difference is going to be much higher... and you really have NO idea which one will have the better week...

Now, if they had a larger bench like in normal Best ball, I would say definitely have a back up TE... but in a 7 bench, the TE is the low man on the Pedestal IMO...

Best ball is weird logic, you got to draft Boom or bust players, and you have to draft multiple players at the most inconsistent positions...

If you do draft a second TE, I would draft either OJ howard or Engram... you cant fear the zero in best ball, you have to HOPE for the break out...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if he drafted the 2nd TE earlier, sure... But TEs are a pretty weak position... The TE that could be gotten now is the 13th-24th best ranked TE... Chances of that TE doing better than Kelce any given week is not too high...

While kickers and defense because of there inconsistency the week to week difference is going to be much higher... and you really have NO idea which one will have the better week...

Now, if they had a larger bench like in normal Best ball, I would say definitely have a back up TE... but in a 7 bench, the TE is the low man on the Pedestal IMO...

Best ball is weird logic, you got to draft Boom or bust players, and you have to draft multiple players at the most inconsistent positions...

If you do draft a second TE, I would draft either OJ howard or Engram... you cant fear the zero in best ball, you have to HOPE for the break out...

that's why I listed Ertz and Doyle, I think both are good TD guys, and could easily have a handful of weeks where they outscore Kelce just by getting a couple TDs where Kelce might get 6-8rec and 100+ yds but not the TD

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's why I listed Ertz and Doyle, I think both are good TD guys, and could easily have a handful of weeks where they outscore Kelce just by getting a couple TDs where Kelce might get 6-8rec and 100+ yds but not the TD

but how much can they outscore him by week to week... Kelce is as consistent of a TE you can find... how often does a kicker only get 3 points while another kicker gets 10 or more... Kickers and defense fluctuate much more than any other position...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he did say Ertz and Doyle are available. Both have weekly upside. But yeah after seeing his roster restrictions I agree that I'd rather get a 0 from the TE and a 20 from the Defense instead a 10 from the TE and a -5 for the Defense.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did say Ertz and Doyle are available. Both have weekly upside. But yeah after seeing his roster restrictions I agree that I'd rather get a 0 from the TE and a 20 from the Defense instead a 10 from the TE and a -5 for the Defense.

I have actually never done a Best ball either... so my theories may be wrong... But I did stay at a holiday inn express...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
always was planning on carrying 2 DST, I guess the real choice is between TE2 or a K2

I've already decided to change that last bench spot to a QB3 instead of RB or WR 5, as long as 2 of those top 3 or 4 guys make it back to me.

So my last spot in question can be either a TE2, DST3, or K2

which way would you go there?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
always was planning on carrying 2 DST, I guess the real choice is between TE2 or a K2

I've already decided to change that last bench spot to a QB3 instead of RB or WR 5, as long as 2 of those top 3 or 4 guys make it back to me.

So my last spot in question can be either a TE2, DST3, or K2

which way would you go there?

What is your defensive scoring like? In one of my leagues I would have taken like 5 defenses in this thing.