• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best available starting day 2

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are picking at #41 starting out the night tonight. Here's a short list of players projected to go early this evening:

Dalvin Cook (RB) Florida State
Carl Lawson (DE) Auburn
Jordan Willis (DE) Kansas State
Malik McDowell (DT) Michigan State
Jourdan Lewis (CB) Michigan
Tim Williams (DE) Alabama
Forrest Lamp (OG) WKU
Zach Cunningham (LB) Vanderbilt
Obi Melifonwu (S) Connecticut
Sidney Jones (CB) Washington
Joe Mixon (RB) Oklahoma
Cordrea Tankersley (CB) Clemson
Teez Tabor (CB) Florida
Alvin Kamara (RB) Tennessee
Cam Robinson (OT) Alabama

Full list here. Looks like D line and secondary players are most abundant.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know we're taking Mixon if he's there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The depth on defense in this draft is solid. I can understand why many were pissed that the Bengals passed on Allen, or even Foster, at #9. But, the drop off isn't nearly as bad on defense as it is at WR. Especially at the speed Ross brings.

Going to be an interesting day 2 and day 3. Outside of a late round guard/tackle, I think you see a lot of defense for the Bengals. I think they take a RB in round 3/4.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know we're taking Mixon if he's there.
So, let me put this out there...

I couldn't care less either way about Mixon, this could be just in general for life, but this discussion got me thinking about this. So many people want to say they support second chances because I think that they think it's the "right" thing to say, but in reality, they don't. I don't care either way, if you do great, if you don't fine...but I don't think people should say that they support giving someone a second chance, but then turn around and state that it has to be someone else that gives it to them. To me, that just means that they really don't support second chances and are just too chicken shit to say it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I couldn't care less either way about Mixon, this could be just in general for life, but this discussion got me thinking about this. So many people want to say they support second chances because I think that they think it's the "right" thing to say, but in reality, they don't. I don't care either way, if you do great, if you don't fine...but I don't think people should say that they support giving someone a second chance, but then turn around and state that it has to be someone else that gives it to them. To me, that just means that they really don't support second chances and are just too chicken shit to say it.

The thing about second chances is, they only happen to rich/famous/public people. They don't happen to ordinary people like us.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to get too off topic here, but your logic/argument (which i agree with) can be applied to almost any issue. People talk the talk like they support an issue, but if asked to have a role in or have it impact them, they back off.
Like when people complain that prisons are overcrowded...ok, we want to build a new one in your town...well, maybe overcrowding isn't that big of an issue.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about second chances is, they only happen to rich/famous/public people. They don't happen to ordinary people like us.
Oh, no doubt about that.

They happen to people who have something of value to offer. In this case, Mixon has top talent as a RB. He can be very valuable to a team that needs a RB. That value will outweigh what someone's moral belief is somewhere down the line. Ray Rice is a perfect mirror for this instance. Dude was in his 30's, right? Punched a woman and never saw the NFL again. Not because he punched a woman, but because at 30, and declining, he had nothing of value to offer.

More to my point was just the amount of fans (using the Mixon incident) who profess to believe in giving someone a second chance, but then don't want the risk to fall onto their team. Either you believe, and that means being ok with your team drafting him, or you don't believe and your team doesn't.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to get too off topic here, but your logic/argument (which i agree with) can be applied to almost any issue. People talk the talk like they support an issue, but if asked to have a role in or have it impact them, they back off.
Like when people complain that prisons are overcrowded...ok, we want to build a new one in your town...well, maybe overcrowding isn't that big of an issue.
Agreed.

It just made me think about this as I was following Lance's tweets, and it made me think because he said he's all for a second chance, but not for the Bengals. I just found that to be hypocritical, IMO. Also, since not only does it apply socially (as you pointed out) but also because it involves the draft, and a potential player the Bengals could take as well.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think my opinions about Mixon have much to do with my opinions about second chances..... Mixon is going to get a chance, whether I like it or not. And I have a choice to cheer for him if he is a Bengal or to stop rooting for the Bengals. Clearly, I'll probably just root for the Bengals because that's (apparently) what I do.

I mostly joke/talk/mention the Bengals taking him because it's an interesting talking point given their history. They've had their fair share of kuckleheads and criminals in the past. And they've had some years where generally most of the team is likable..... But Hobs and others like to feed some sort of dialogue that Marvin and the team changed their approach to problem children.... But when push comes to shove (see Jones, Adam), Marvin (and Mike's for that matter) true colors tend to show.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think people like Lance are completely hypocritical. If he 'truly' didn't support the Bengals drafting Mixon, he wouldn't support the team when they did..... That's not going to happen. Stop acting all righteous unless you really plan to change your own behavior.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course its hypocritical. Sports writers/journalists are the biggest collective group of hypocrites on the planet.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cook is more versatile than Fournette and a better pure runner than McCaffrey. I get why certain teams might prefer one over the other but can't believe Cook's going 30 picks after them.

He's a steal here.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. This is modern society. Everyone has a complaint or opinion. But when asked for a solution, or to get their hands dirty, it's a no go.

Nobody cares unless it effects them. All the folks saying Mixon doesn't deserve a 2nd chance would be begging for mercy from everyone else if placed in the same scenario themselves.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cook is more versatile than Fournette and a better pure runner than McCaffrey. I get why certain teams might prefer one over the other but can't believe Cook's going 30 picks after them.

He's a steal here.

NM. Take this back. Apparently he has worse character questions than Mixon and is off some boards.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NM. Take this back. Apparently he has worse character questions than Mixon and is off some boards.

In other words..... "Welcome aboard!!! Please check in with team captain Adam Jones before receiving your playbook."

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words..... "Welcome aboard!!! Please check in with team captain Adam Jones before receiving your playbook."
It's a race between Mixon and Cook to see who the Bengals think they can "redeem" better.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a steal here.

Agreed. He's the best RB in the draft.

Maybe...but he hasn't punched a woman on camera.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Hill completely washed up? Is Bernard not going to rebound from this injury? I think Hobson might be up to something when he picked our second round mock pick by nabbing: (still see him more of a developmental player at a 3rd round tag)

41. BENGALS: DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova; Hobson _ They have to go pass rusher here, right, if they don’t go there at No. 9?

It would be a shocker, but let’s take a deep breath. Is it really too high for one of the most raw talents in the draft? ESPN’s Big Board ranks him the 99th player. Rang’s board at CBS rates him the 100th. But he’s worth a second look here.

A 6-7, 289 pounder who had them gasping at his Senior Bowl weigh-in, Kpassagnon has been called a freak with “track star acceleration,” according to CBS Sports. His athleticism and length conjure up memories of Carlos Dunlap in the second round in 2010 and isn’t that what this draft is all about? Give Dunlap and tackle Geno Atkins help rushing the passer?

At the NFL scouting combine a 4.83 40 combined with 23 reps of 225 pounds put him on the map. A fellow Philly product, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, said in Indy that Kpassagnon is a developmental defensive end who is a better fit in the third or fourth rounds but could go as high as the second because of his enormous potential.

He’s certainly not as polished as Dunlap, who had been tested at top competition at Florida. He’s perceived as a project when it comes to diagnosing screens and attacking double teams. And the one thing that would be non-Bengal of the pick is that Kpassagnon did his work in the low level Colonial Athletic Association while the Bengals love that big-school production.

But they also love the guys that dominate the small divisions and Kpassagnon did just that with 11 sacks, 21.5 tackles for loss, and a Dunlapian two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. It is also Bengalian that he was voted a team captain, has a bottomless motor, and is highly regarded off the field. According to The Philadelphia Daily News’ Paul Domowitch, he already has graduated with degrees in accounting and finance. His mother is a chemical scientist and his father is an economist.

There are other rush ends rated higher on the big boards (T.J. Watt, Jordan Willis, Tim Williams), but there may be no player in the draft that has Kpassagnon’s ceiling.