• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bennett sits for national anthem

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then their parents should slap them upside the head.

If my Teen did that. I'd go a little farther than a old hand across the head.

We pay them for the play not their political views. So why should we care about their political views?

Flyer. It is about respect, not political views.

Can i enlighten you for a sec.

I live in BC and Under the Liberal government in BC(which has been outsed a month ago). I saw the following:

- Cuts to disabilty funding and programs. Including a the loss of a ??/year bus pass when there was suppose to be a hike in disability rate. We have to pay 40/Month for our bus pass now.

- Cuts to funding for Addiction services

and i think Trudeau has been a joke as a PM.

But then i see the Canadian flag. I don't give it one finger. I simply put the palm of my hand on my head and give it a salute.

When i hear the Canadian national anthem. I stand, I put my hand across my heart and sing it loud and f'ing proud.

I respect my country, no matter what I think of who's running it.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a veteran, the oath of enlistment that I took said that I would protect the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. That includes the First Amendment rights for every single person alive. When we look at BLM or Antifa or the KKK we see groups of people trying to stop the free speech of other people for whatever reason. The Constitution and the First Amendment is clear, everyone has a right to say anything and everything they want. If you choose to kneel during the anthem so be it, if you decide to stand on the flag or piss on the flag that is also your right. Now I also have my rights to point out the stupidity of your views and make my views known.

Bennett and Lynch's views and actions will have no effect at all on me watching the NFL this year as I will not be watching it this year just like I did not last year or the year before. The only thing I can do to protest the ownership group of the Niners is through my wallet.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of speech does not imply free of consequences.

It is just dumb to do this for the reasons they claim. It does more harm than perceived good. The message is a negative one that doesn't positively impact productive dialog toward race relations. It is either ignored, or offends patriotic folks that might not otherwise be racist so why offend them over your political views and national commentary?

They shouldn't be forced to stand, but must recognize the price they are paying with some fans. And for what gain?

It's just stupid more than anything.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a veteran, the oath of enlistment that I took said that I
would protect the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

As a Neighbor to the North and a Military brat.

I thank you for your service.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect my country, no matter what I think of who's running it.

Which is completely fair.

But part of respecting your country is respecting the rights of others.

Someone choosing to not stand for the anthem is such an irrelevant event for me UNLESS they serve in our military or certain government roles.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Constitution and the First Amendment is clear, everyone has a right to say anything and everything they want.
Actually that is NOT what is says.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freedom of speech does not imply free of consequences.

It is just dumb to do this for the reasons they claim. It does more harm than perceived good. The message is a negative one that doesn't positively impact productive dialog toward race relations. It is either ignored, or offends patriotic folks that might not otherwise be racist so why offend them over your political views and national commentary?

They shouldn't be forced to stand, but must recognize the price they are paying with some fans. And for what gain?

It's just stupid more than anything.
The flag actually stands for the things Michael Bennett is calling for in his "message" as to why he sat. To protest the flag because you want "equality" is like protesting outside 24 Hour Fitness because you're upset about the country's growing obesity problem.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flag actually stands for the things Michael Bennett is calling for in his "message" as to why he sat. To protest the flag because you want "equality" is like protesting outside 24 Hour Fitness because you're upset about the country's growing obesity problem.

The flag is a symbol and can many things for many different people.

I don't want to get into the politics of it but I think you are being a bit dismissive here.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know why he sat and I could care less. Clearly he has a desire to express himself in a peaceful protest, and as long as his employer has no problem with him doing on company time then it is constitutional.

And yes, that is exactly what the 1st amendment says.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." No law can be made to limit what you or I can say. No law can outlaw what you might think is hate speech. The 1st says everything is permitted, as long as it meets the rest of the 1st amendment, as long as it is peaceful.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, no they won't.

This is crazy!

count on it, ratings will be down again this year by another 10%. if they want those fans back they will smack this shit down swiftly

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
count on it, ratings will be down again this year by another 10%. if they want those fans back they will smack this shit down swiftly

How much you want to bet that the ratings are up this year?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why he sat and I could care less. Clearly he has a desire to express himself in a peaceful protest, and as long as his employer has no problem with him doing on company time then it is constitutional.

And yes, that is exactly what the 1st amendment says.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." No law can be made to limit what you or I can say. No law can outlaw what you might think is hate speech. The 1st says everything is permitted, as long as it meets the rest of the 1st amendment, as long as it is peaceful.
I guess you don't really understand what "Congress shall make no law" means.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what his intentions are. It really doesn't. There will be those that won't get his words when he says something about family and military ties etc. To a fairly substantial group of fans out there he is shitting on THEIR flag. Period. Doesn't matter if anyone is right in this, it is perception.

Kaepernick heard those concerns and found the compromise of taking a knee in reflection so as to have deference toward the military and many accepted that.

Lynch, Bennett, and presumably others that will do something like it in the NFL this year are taking a step backward by sitting and eating food or putting a towel over their head. They could do all sorts of things similar to what Kaepernick did to find some common ground and help keep a more positive and on point discussion going. Frankly I'm not fond of any of it in any form, but that's my opinion.

I stand by the assertion that it is just stupid to use the anthem for this purpose. It is counterproductive in so many ways and brings distraction to the team, even if but a small one.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to sit during the NA, then that is their choice.
All is expect is that those people have respect for the moment.
I am a vet and considered a white guy, but rumor is I have some Cherokee in me.
Oh, and the Redskins can remain the Redskins.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with it if the league and the team have no problem with it. A protest is only as effective as the amount of attention it draws. Sure, these guys could protest "on their own time" (more on this in a minute), but it's a lot easier for people to ignore an athlete's social media posts than it is for them to ignore an athlete sitting or kneeling for the national anthem when the media is guaranteed to cover it and beat people over the head with it. Honestly, I'd much prefer to see a player peacefully protest about something that matters to them than get arrested for any number of awful and illegal things.

Getting back to the concept of these guys making these protests "on their own time", I genuinely want to know what everyone who says this means by it. Does it mean between games? The offseason? Between league years?When a player is a free agent? When a player has retired? These guys might only play games for, at most, a little over six months, but they're employed by their teams 365 days a year and have offseason programs, minicamps and training camp that takes up most of the rest of their time, so they could technically be considered to be "on company time" every day until their contract is up. If you wanna take it that far, they're never really "on their own time" until they retire or become free agents. It's not the most "convenient" method of protest and it's going to keep making people angry until the reason for the protests is addressed sufficiently, but people care more about the method and the supposed message that's sending than they do about the reason for the protests itself which is only going to cause the protests to continue until something is done to address the reason for them.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please link us up to the ratings going down 10% last year.